Question

Make the Windows controller open source

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Once again (this is the second time I’ve said this) my remarks about power cycling were general not specific to Sonos, furthermore I did not complain that I needed to power cycle Sonos only that most modern devices - Sonos included - do not have a power switch which is a true statement, and when one must perform a power cycling we are expected to pull a cable out of a wall and reinsert it, another true statement.

A switch is far more convenient and far safer, pulling or struggling to get a cable into or out of a wall in a confined space in a contorted position can sometimes lead to one accidentally touching one of the partially inserted pins - this is WHY switches were invented.

Sonos power cords can be disconnected at the outlet and at the device.  You don’t need to be a contortionist unless your speaker is also in a confined space. And if you can’t reach the cord at the speaker, you probably can’t reach a switch either.  Probably best at that point to just flip the breaker that powers the outlets at that point.

Thinking of all the non-Sonos devices I have that don’t have power switches, pretty sure they all can be disconnected at both ends.  The exception might be power tools, which usually have some sort of switch to prevent operation for safety, and are designed to be plugged and unplugged frequently.  It makes less sense to be able to disconnect at both ends.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Once again (this is the second time I’ve said this) my remarks about power cycling were general not specific to Sonos, furthermore I did not complain that I needed to power cycle Sonos only that most modern devices - Sonos included - do not have a power switch which is a true statement, and when one must perform a power cycling we are expected to pull a cable out of a wall and reinsert it, another true statement.

A switch is far more convenient and far safer, pulling or struggling to get a cable into or out of a wall in a confined space in a contorted position can sometimes lead to one accidentally touching one of the partially inserted pins - this is WHY switches were invented.

Sonos power cords can be disconnected at the outlet and at the device.  You don’t need to be a contortionist unless your speaker is also in a confined space. And if you can’t reach the cord at the speaker, you probably can’t reach a switch either.  Probably best at that point to just flip the breaker that powers the outlets at that point.

Thinking of all the non-Sonos devices I have that don’t have power switches, pretty sure they all can be disconnected at both ends.  The exception might be power tools, which usually have some sort of switch to prevent operation for safety, and are designed to be plugged and unplugged frequently.  It makes less sense to be able to disconnect at both ends.

Words escape me, normalizing bad design, such is the modern world.

Yes. Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

May I suggest you invest in some snartplugs? No contortions are needed in order to say 'Alexa, trim off Sonos'.

And surely you must have all your electronics plugged into switched surge protectors