Question

How to get old iphone app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Sonos does not have any plans to bring back the 4.3 app.

This is a topic that is discussed further in our ' Don't like the New App ' thread, please take a look for further info and feedback.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Dominique, have you considered simply re-releasing the 4.3 app as "Sonos Classic"?  Seems like such an easy and obvious solution, especially considering how awful the 5.0 app is.
Userlevel 1
Well this does just about amount to a recognition of a problem. One small step I suppose.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
We apologize, the invalid link was not done intentionally- the link has now been updated to the correct URL.

We have a 45 day return policy from date of purchase for all product purchased from us direct. Other retailers may have different return policies that could allow for returns outside of this window.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ah, having just clicked on the 'Here is our contact info' link I see what you did.. sent him to an invalid URL just to cause the poor fella that much more distress, really useful.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Dominique, Sonos has altered my experience of this product, "the system isn't what [i] are looking for or does not suit [my] needs", are you happy to assist me with a return and refund?  Surely the fact my experience of your product has been so dramatically changed by your updates that the 45 day return period should have been instated for EXISTING customers too?
All well and good until the next cull of controllers and this doesn't help those of us who have already lost a considerable amount of functionality.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Ken,

I can see why this is frustrating. You may not be aware but Sonos has a 45 day return policy if you purchased the product from us direct. If the system isn't what you are looking for or does not suit your needs, we're happy to assist you with a return. Sonos supports numerous controllers such as PC's running Windows XP SP3 and higher, MAC OS X running 10.6.8+, Android devices from 2.1+ and iOS devices running 6.0+. 

If this is something you are considering, you still have some time to think it over. If you decide within that time that it ultimately is not for you, we completely understand.  Here is our contact info. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Yes Ken, unfortunately Sonos has officially disabled the fundamental functionality of the Sonos system.  They have stopped production of the CR200 controller and blocked all but the latest ipods, ipads, and iphones.  Presumably the company is closing since there is no possible explanation for ending the ability to operate their products.

Samsung has taken over where Sonos ended and will continue their version of this product, now called the "Shape", and of course they support any ipad/pod/phone.

If you still wish to use the obsolete Sonos for some reason, you can purchase the third party Sonopad/Sonophone app which will provide limited functionality until Sonos blocks it as promised with a pushed firmware update in the next few months.
I have two iPods and One iPad 1 that will not work on the sonos system that i just bought and it really pisses me off.  Now I have to buy my wife a new iPad? She did not want me to get the Sonos system anyway and now she is all over me about my decision.  Not too much I can do about it based on all the replys I have seen.... Hmmmm 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonospad is in App Store
Hi dan, where did you purshase it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can't remove update.  use SonosPad app
I just bought an app called Sonopad which works with ios5. It seems to be a well written app.
Sonos is strangly unresponsive to this consolidated thread of reported issues even though someone has obviously taken the the time and effort to do so.  My specific reported issue with no longer being able to use my IPAD 1 to control Sonos (after deleting 4.3 from it) was two weeks ago.  Sure would like to get it back in the game.
Userlevel 1
My complaint has been rolled into this thread. I have a recent IOS device so the new version "works". However, it's design is extremely poor. This is not just a matter of taste, nor not taking time to get used to change. I have a large classical collection with many peices of music sharing the same cover art (over 20 in some cases). On my iphone I now cannot tell which of these is which as the text appears identical due to truncation (e.g. Brandenburg Concert..). This clearly was not taken into consideration during the initial design process. Sonos have not replied to my emailed request for advice. So this is not just people with older kit losing out (but their circumstances are worse and draws attention to the problem of companies like Sonos making people dependent upon other companies' hardware). A roll back must be enabled, followed by a more carefully considered design come 5.1

I should clarify that my comment above concerning the problems of truncation ought to have reffered to the iPad, not the iPhone. The small iPhone screen might reasonably have this problem. The iPad one doesn't with the older version and simply shouldn't with the new.
Userlevel 5
Badge
My complaint has been rolled into this thread. I have a recent IOS device so the new version "works". However, it's design is extremely poor. This is not just a matter of taste, nor not taking time to get used to change. I have a large classical collection with many peices of music sharing the same cover art (over 20 in some cases). On my iphone I now cannot tell which of these is which as the text appears identical due to truncation (e.g. Brandenburg Concert..). This clearly was not taken into consideration during the initial design process. Sonos have not replied to my emailed request for advice. So this is not just people with older kit losing out (but their circumstances are worse and draws attention to the problem of companies like Sonos making people dependent upon other companies' hardware). A roll back must be enabled, followed by a more carefully considered design come 5.1

As you'll see (assuming you read all the content of this thread!) you' re not alone in this. How any interface designer (at least one who understood what the interface had to do) could replace a sensible small icon + full text description with a HUGE icon and not enough text to be useful is utterly beyond me. The new interface is, apparently, 'intuitive'. Presumably us box-set users now just have to use our intuition to work out which album is which, because the app certainly doesn't give us a clue.

Come on Sonos. Either sort it out or have the guts to tell those of us who don't fit your target demographic that it's time for us to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

this is just one of the many gripes mentioned in https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/give_us_the_old_app_back_please  please click this link and 'me too' the request.
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks for the detailed directions, those are going to work for getting the 4.3 app installed which will work with the current version 5.0 of Sonos. 

Another way to download the app is to go to your App Store on the iPad and click Purchased. Then scroll through the listing and you'll see Sonos Controller for iPad (with the blue icon). You can install that and you'll have the 4.3 software. 

Later this year, we'll be releasing another update where the older version of the app, pre-5.0, will no longer function with Sonos. Until then, you'll be able to use the iPad first generation and other iOS devices running Sonos Version 4.3.

We always encourage using the latest version of the software as they include new features, updates, and other improvements.

What's also unacceptable is that you are still selling your overpriced paperweights without any mention of this!!!!
I bought a sonos system (bridge, Play 3, Play 1) for my grandparents since they already had an ipad (1)
and the store rep was eagerly promoting sonos for being green, easy access, ...

Now I'm fearing the day when they accidentally press the update sonos button (or a mandatory update is out!

Support basically told me to control it with some other device    >:(

Just release a "sonos classic" app, with just the basics, controls and stuff.  
You can even leave the old design and control,
..since..... well, most of your customer base seems to hate it!

so yea, thanks for the overpriced paperweights!!!
Thanks for the detailed directions, those are going to work for getting the 4.3 app installed which will work with the current version 5.0 of Sonos. 

Another way to download the app is to go to your App Store on the iPad and click Purchased. Then scroll through the listing and you'll see Sonos Controller for iPad (with the blue icon). You can install that and you'll have the 4.3 software. 

Later this year, we'll be releasing another update where the older version of the app, pre-5.0, will no longer function with Sonos. Until then, you'll be able to use the iPad first generation and other iOS devices running Sonos Version 4.3.

We always encourage using the latest version of the software as they include new features, updates, and other improvements.

Ryan,
It's not acceptable to me that the Sonos iPad controller app was removed from the app store leaving people like me stranded with no option to continue using Sonos on our iPad1.

Please pass this on to management and whoever was in charge of the decision to remove the app.

I really hope that you'll re-evaluate this and bring back the 4.3 iPad app to allow users like me to continue using the iPad1.

The iPad1 is the device I use throughout the evening when my computers are off and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.

If Sonos insists on standing their ground in this regard, that only leaves me to vote with my wallet and to not spend any more money on your products and to advise others to take a critical look at how Sonos is treating loyal customers without reasonable resolution to the issue created by your way of handling the latest update.
Userlevel 3
Ryan,

I followed instructions on my iPhone 5, put the old 4.3 app back on via iTunes, launched it, and it complains that I need to upgrade it (presumably to 5.0).  So this method did not work for me.
You state 4.3 works with 5.0 on the ZPs, correct?  Why is this not working for me then?

On the ipad I have both version working currently because I never deleted the old one. but on the iPhone , which is what I use constantly, I'm stuck with 5.0 which I don't want to use for a variety of reasons that i won't bore you with.

EDIT:  Looks like 4.2 is what I installed.   Doesn't work.   Can someone post a link to the "Sonos 4.3.ipa" file please?  PLEASE, I'M BEGGING NOW.

@ Christian: did you get 4.3? Did you get anything running ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Because they DONT CARE ABOUT YOU.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Sebastian,

You're correct, you need to have gotten version 4.3 previously through the app store in order to find it in your purchases. If you did, that version will work with 5.0 but there is an update coming which 4.3 will no longer be compatible with.
Ryan, your instructions don't work since Sonos removed the "Sonos Controller for iPad" from the app store and unless they would bring it back, everyone that didn't update to version 4.3 of the iPad controller before updating the Sonos system is now unable to use that iPad1. 😞