Answered

How does streaming work on a Sonos One?

• 28 October 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m used to using streaming music to bluetooth speakers. You go out of range and the music stops - I get it.

Today I was using the Sonos App to stream tunes to my pair of Sonos One’s. I had to go out and I figured that the music would stop and the speakers would go into standby as I would be out of range. 

But no, I came back home and the speakers were still playing music… huh?

Explain to me like I’m 5 please.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by ratty 28 October 2023, 16:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Sonos app is a remote control. It tells the speaker what to do. Your speaker then fetches the stream itself. 

Is that different from how a bluetooth speaker works with apple music for example?

Yes, in the Bluetooth case the phone streams the music and sends it to the speaker.

Okay I get it now. That’s quite cool because it means the phone battery is not draining.

The Sonos app is a remote control. It tells the speaker what to do. Your speaker then fetches the stream itself. 

Your TV doesn’t stop when the remote leaves the room does it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is that different from how a bluetooth speaker works with apple music for example?

Yes, in the Bluetooth case the phone streams the music and sends it to the speaker.