Question

How do I play audio from my iMac through Sonos?

• 30 November 2013
  • 53 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Hello Jonathan,

For now, Sonos is not able to play the system-sound of your computer wirelessly. We call that functionality Virtual Line In, and it is something we may be working
on in the future. You can voice your support by +1 this idea.

Apart from that, the only method to have the PC sound play through Sonos is to use the analog-cable with the Line-In of your PLAY:5/CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP.

In regards to the volume-level of the Line-In connection, I recommend that you check the Line-In settings within the Room Settings of your Sonos app. There you can select
the signal level of the Line-In source.

Regards,

Bjorn L.

You can get an Apple Airport Express for $99. This is used to share out Line Out's, extend WiIfi signals, and share Printers all wirelessly. Plug that Line out into your Line-In of your Play:5/Connect/Connect-AMP. Then you can use AirpLay via iTunes directly to stream your music. If you want to stream system sound from your iMac then use in addition an app called Airfoil which transmits ANY sound & video from your iMac using Airplay technology directly to your peripherals connected to your Airport Express.
Hello Jonathan,

For now, Sonos is not able to play the system-sound of your computer wirelessly. We call that functionality Virtual Line In, and it is something we may be working

Apart from that, the only method to have the PC sound play through Sonos is to use the analog-cable with the Line-In of your PLAY:5/CONNECT/CONNECT:AMP.

In regards to the volume-level of the Line-In connection, I recommend that you check the Line-In settings within the Room Settings of your Sonos app. There you can select

Regards,

Bjorn L.

I agree with others who have posted… disappointing and frustrating. I just invested in a multi room Sonos system, none of them are Play 5's, and now just finding out I can't run laptop, iMac or TV sound through any of the Sonos speakers I just purchased. Even a line-in from Play 1 or 3 would have been logical and appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jonathan,

Regards,

Bjorn L.