FULL spotify integration (and other 3rd parties)

Badge +1
Now while its great to see that Spotify radio is going to make it into the Controller app, having used Spotify for a few weeks now on my Sonos system i think Sonos need to go a step further. In effect i think that the spotify app, for ipad for instance needs full integration into the Sonos system (as it does for Napseter etc) What ive found annoying to date is that if im playing a tune on my Sonos system that i like, i then have to go to the Spotify app, search, and find that tune, then click on the star button for example so that its added to my Sonos Controller. That kind of functionality should be included by default.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

With the newest software update you can now control your Sonos system through the Spotify app. You can read more about this here.
Please add ability to play genre based Spotify radio on sonos! Why can it cope with artist and song radio but not genres?
At this time, the only music service that can play directly from the native app is Google Play Music. There is some talk to allow streaming from an app in the future, but nothing concrete. Note there is a workaround to include Bluetooth, Chromecast Audio and/or Airplay by connecting the appropriate adapter to a Sonos unit with a line-in (Connect, Connect:Amp, Play:5).
Just received my PLAY:1. I assumed (I guess wrongly) that I'd simply be able to set-up the speaker as another device, like Airplay. So any sound from my Mac or through the Android app could be piped through.

Am I right in assuming I instead have to use the Sonos controlled for *everything*? e.g. it's not gonna be appear in my Spotify 'device list', and instead I've gotta search through the Sonos app for all tracks?

I'm hoping I'm completely wrong?
Badge
And when you come back maybe you could get the Follow Playlist feature online? I know. Never satisfied. But. Thinking that's a big one for most Spotify users...?

Anyway. Thanks again and Happy Holly Daze!
Badge
Wow! I've been so distracted and out of town lately that I didn't even notice that Sonos added support for My Albums! I'm so terribly excited about this addition to the previous round of Spotify updates! I can't comment on the Radio functions as I'm not a big user there, but this really rounds out my personal experience with Spotify on Sonos.

What a great holiday present, ya'll! Thanks for all the hard work and many happy returns. May you get some time off to decompress from a season full of milestone hardware/firmware/software releases...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Spotify integration (or lack of) has put a hold on me further investing in Sonos. It would be great to have an update.

I guess the update is that they just released 5.5 which gave us Spotify users 'some' of the Radio functions, 'some' of the Your Music functions and Genre, Moode and 'Now' (time based) Playlists. At the same time it also broke playlist folders.

Whilst its a step in the right direction, it only moves the 'Spotify on Sonos' featureset from a 1/10 to 3/10.
Badge +1
Spotify integration (or lack of) has put a hold on me further investing in Sonos. It would be great to have an update.
Badge
Ryan S? It's been two months since we heard from Sonos on this. An update would be v. much appreciated. TIA!!
Badge
It's my understanding that the folders issue is a workaround to not having full Spotify integration in the first place (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is there another issue holding up the public release of the full Spotify integration? And if not, at what point does Sonos just rip off the former band-aid and just mimic Spotify as it works in the real world?

IMHO, the people who went the trouble of making the folder work-around are the same people who will (rightfully) complain, but who will also see the benefit of and adapt the fastest to a straightforward adaptation of Spotify's actual functionality.

Let's get this sucker out the door already. Spotify is the leader in this space. I don't want to buy new hardware, but it is becoming more of a "consummable" by the minute. I need a solution that can adapt more quickly to trends in music delivery.

I don't need bleeding edge, but this is pretty ridiculous...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Improvements still in beta.  There are a few issues with the new spotify (such as folders) that had issues that would cause problems if released from beta.  It is still a work in progress but I wouldn't expect it to be long before the spotify final.
Badge +1
Im sad to see that all these promised improvements are NOT to be found in the new controller update... - When do they come??
Help.  The Sonos-Control4 system seems to have a mind of its own.  It doesn’t seem to stick to any playlist but will mix things up.  It seems to prefer classical music to anything else. 😉 And it’s not only within the Spotify playllists interface.  It will go to another Spotify playlist even when it’s supposed to be playing itunes music.  Maybe there’s a setting we don’t know about.  We’ve tried to clear queue, Also replace queue.  Neither worked.  Advice?
So, my Android controller is now at 5.4.29490090 after having downloaded and installed the beta. But the choices when I select Spotify are just as before, no browse or anything else that you would expect to be there. Suggestions?
Apple is in a difficult situation. It's trying to compete with streaming services while protecting the significant revenues generated from sales through iTunes. Who's going to buy a track / album when it's available on the user's subscribed streaming service?

Sonos now has some serious lower prised competition backed by huge brands. I don't mind paying more for quality products but I still expect value. In the absence of any transparency from Sonos we can blame them for the poor Spotify integration, as @Ryan S notes: Spotify's Web API went live a year ago. We should also remember that the improved Spotify integration isn't yet a production release - it's a beta. Let's hope Sonos up's it game and keeps momentum in adding feaures and improving integration with popular music services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There was a recent Variety article I read that mentioned how the home audio market is big for the various streaming services.  Devices like Sonos having access is very important to companies like Spotify in maintaining their subscription numbers.  So there is tremendous incentive for the 2 to work together.  At the same time the article call Apple short sighted in focusing new Apple Music on mobile audio and not supporting the home audio market.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos said recently that some changes in Spotify's extensions available now finally allowed the additional integration.  I'm not sure how long ago Spotify made these changes but seems something had to be done on the Spotify end to make it happen and then Sonos work on changing their in app plugin.
So, my Android controller is now at 5.4.29490090 after having downloaded and installed the beta. But the choices when I select Spotify are just as before, no browse or anything else that you would expect to be there. Suggestions?
@Chris - I think many users are surprised that Sonos doesn't already have a more integrated Spotify experience. OK, they don't want to implement Spotify Connect, but no Spotify Radio until now??? We can only speculate why but I suspect it's strategic or a contractual issue rather than some technical stumbling block. It's unfortunate as it's clearly lost business for both company's (although maybe not enough for them to care until now?) and annoyed their customers. 

Yes, all our phones, tablets, TV's are Android. I got annoyed with Apple's closed eco-system. Also, had a couple of issue with our iPhones & iPads - Apple just works... until it doesn't.

I finally decided to make the jump from Spotify to Google Play AA when someone sent me a link to a promotion giving a three month trial period. There was no going back after using it for a couple of weeks and having access to the features missing in Sono's Spotify integration. I really liked Spotify as a streaming platform but not enough to keep paying a subscription when I couldn't access key features through Sonos. So in my situation - Spotify lost a family subscription and I lost an afternoon transferring over our playlists.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
@Niall - I agree, 2 years was way too long.  Many will have switched music providers and others switched hardware - both Spotify and Sonos will have lost through out this delay.  I have a Spotify Connect enabled device (Panasonic ALL1C) connected via my Playbar as a workaround to the pi$$ poor Sonos implementation until now.  Im going to keep my Spotify Connect solution as a backup and see how the Sonos implementation now improves further.  For example if Artist and Album are not added to 'Your Music' within the following 1-2 releases then I will become nervous again it will be a further 2 years before this is solved.

Spotify Connect is not perfect.  For example it cannot support multiple streams.  Its way too easy to lose the music queue e.g. switching devices.  The artwork and labels sometime lags behind the music.  You have to work in 2 applications to handle (un)grouping and adjusting separate volumes...  However, it also has a lot going for it - its the native app so does everything the app can, can be used on way more devices if you are away from home (e.g. amazon fire TV stick, between any mobile device).

Assuming Spotify on Sonos continues to evolve to fill the functionality gaps then I think having Spotify as a music provider will give the best of both worlds. Sonos for multi-room within the home and Spotify Connect for ad-hoc use (e.g. on vacation) or as a Sonos backup if it fails again because its overloaded (Christmas!)

The irony seems that whilst Sonos has spent 2 years blaming Spotify, then we find it took Sonos to update their 'tools' to 'help our partners easily bring new features to the Sonos' and within 1 month Spotify is much improved.  Looks like Sonos were the hold up all along to me.

Im very happy so far with the new Spotify features in the beta and hope Sonos now keep up the momentum to improve it further.

Ryan S. from Sonos said in another topic that "The new features in beta with Spotify are more closely associated to the official Spotify web player" which makes me think that Sonos are using the Spotify Web API (https://developer.spotify.com/news-stories/2014/06/17/say-hello-new-web-api/), which was released by Spotify almost exactly one year ago.

If it's the case that Sonos is using the Web API, I think that Sonos can from now on, with the basic implementation already in place, pretty quickly "catch up" to Spotify.

As you are, I'm so far very pleased with the improved Spotify support, though I wouldn't mind having Connect as an option as well. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@Niall - I agree, 2 years was way too long.  Many will have switched music providers and others switched hardware - both Spotify and Sonos will have lost through out this delay.  I have a Spotify Connect enabled device (Panasonic ALL1C) connected via my Playbar as a workaround to the pi$$ poor Sonos implementation until now.  Im going to keep my Spotify Connect solution as a backup and see how the Sonos implementation now improves further.  For example if Artist and Album are not added to 'Your Music' within the following 1-2 releases then I will become nervous again it will be a further 2 years before this is solved.

Spotify Connect is not perfect.  For example it cannot support multiple streams.  Its way too easy to lose the music queue e.g. switching devices.  The artwork and labels sometime lags behind the music.  You have to work in 2 applications to handle (un)grouping and adjusting separate volumes...  However, it also has a lot going for it - its the native app so does everything the app can, can be used on way more devices if you are away from home (e.g. amazon fire TV stick, between any mobile device).

Assuming Spotify on Sonos continues to evolve to fill the functionality gaps then I think having Spotify as a music provider will give the best of both worlds. Sonos for multi-room within the home and Spotify Connect for ad-hoc use (e.g. on vacation) or as a Sonos backup if it fails again because its overloaded (Christmas!)

The irony seems that whilst Sonos has spent 2 years blaming Spotify, then we find it took Sonos to update their 'tools' to 'help our partners easily bring new features to the Sonos' and within 1 month Spotify is much improved.  Looks like Sonos were the hold up all along to me.

Im very happy so far with the new Spotify features in the beta and hope Sonos now keep up the momentum to improve it further.
"We aren't integrating Spotify Connect at this time,..."
For a second I thought we were finally getting what we wanted i.e. Spotify connect but yet another disillusion.
I stated to work to select a Spotify connect replacement hardware to my Sonos equipment. I won't stop as I am tired to wait for Sonos which is delaying a decision they won't be able to delay forever. Competition is going to eat you!
What a shame.
Having migrated away from Sonos to Spotify-connect enabled hardware, I feel the same way: I'm not going back to Sonos to a crippled Spotify implementation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There has been no wait for announcement. Sonos said from the very beginning they were not implementing spotify connect. There has been no wait. You may want spotify connect and i can understand why but they have not been ambiguous at all in he fact they were not implementing. Wow is Google working. I assume you have an android device so with Google you are dong the same as spotify connect. I went deezer for quality and locked in long term with the discount but j have heard Google has the best library (my son won't leave rhapsody though).
Two years is way too long for this feature to be implemented (is this the first official response in two years???). Interesting that this has happened once the competition has heated up for both Sonos and Spotify? I gave up waiting a couple of months ago and moved over to Google Play AA.  I've put time into migrating over to Google It does everything I needed. No chance I'm going through the drama moving back to Spotify.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It said that "You are active" when I selected the Sonos beta tab - but, now I selected "leave" and then "join" again in the Beta program, and now the controller actually update itself as it should, so now it's working. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sounds like you don't have the beta flagged for your system properly. From your account, it looks like your system isn't flagged for the public beta on the website page. Can you follow the directions here to get your system setup for the beta? After that point you can update your players and you should be all set.

Let me know if you still have trouble.