Feature request: Sonos iPhone app and Apple Music plugin - no organization

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It’s not for Sonos to “Pull” information that Apple has not authorised, that would be illegal.  It’s for Apple to allow access to that info.  Nothing Sonos can do.  

You can do all the work in the Apple App and use Airplay to direct to your Sonos speakers though.

You hit the nail on the head with Apples strategy.

Badge +1

Why doesn’t Sonos just use the authentication to pull music and handle sorting and everything in a uniform way instead of leaving it up to all the services? Apple has its own smart speaker - they’re clearly uninterested in developing for Sonos. Sonos should simply handle this for its own good and the good of its users.

Badge +17

I think I mixed things up - I don’t think this is actually the Apple Music plugin at all. I think it’s Sonos system. 

I’m only using the search (magnifying glass icon in iPhone Sonos app) in Sonos to find an artist, then selecting the artist in the results Sonos gives for each service. I choose the artist under Apple Music, then search for an album. I don’t think this part of the Sonos system is delivered by Apple Music; I think it’s Sonos’ system at this point. I’m not browsing the different services (the eighth note icon in the iPhone Sonos app, then Apple Music) - I never use that feature. I only “search” and pick the artists under the Apple Music service. I think Sonos can fix this so that the albums can be viewed in a much more organized way. I checked the actual Apple Music plugin (service) in the Sonos app and found that it is organized quite well, but it doesn’t allow you to search for music that hasn’t already been added to your library, since the Sonos app itself has a search function that brings up results from the Apple Music service. Please add the ability to sort albums properly (live, single, EP, comp, etc.) 

Thank you

When you leave the universal search (the page that shows all of the results from your added services) and tap into a specific service, you’re in a container that is delivered by that service.

So my original advice stands - let Apple know that you’d like their Albums container to have better sorting options inside Sonos, since they are the ones populating and sorting this area. :slight_smile:

Badge +1

I think I mixed things up - I don’t think this is actually the Apple Music plugin at all. I think it’s Sonos system. 

I’m only using the search (magnifying glass icon in iPhone Sonos app) in Sonos to find an artist, then selecting the artist in the results Sonos gives for each service. I choose the artist under Apple Music, then search for an album. I don’t think this part of the Sonos system is delivered by Apple Music; I think it’s Sonos’ system at this point. I’m not browsing the different services (the eighth note icon in the iPhone Sonos app, then Apple Music) - I never use that feature. I only “search” and pick the artists under the Apple Music service. I think Sonos can fix this so that the albums can be viewed in a much more organized way. I checked the actual Apple Music plugin (service) in the Sonos app and found that it is organized quite well, but it doesn’t allow you to search for music that hasn’t already been added to your library, since the Sonos app itself has a search function that brings up results from the Apple Music service. Please add the ability to sort albums properly (live, single, EP, comp, etc.) 

Thank you

Badge +17

Hi @neuropathy,

Thanks for your request.

Any content displayed inside of a music service within the Sonos app is controlled by the service themselves. They decide which content to show and how it should be displayed. I suggest letting Apple know you’d like to see this additional sorting functionality on Sonos as it’s ultimately their choice how their service is delivered to the end user :slight_smile: