Desktop Apps Deprecated?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 72 replies

I just read an article at ZDNet which says that desktop apps are going away and there will only be the web app on desktops in future, with device config only possible in the mobile apps. That seems really bad news for local library support. The article seems so deferential to Sonos that I guess it is basically an op-ed.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Device config was removed from the Desktop apps years ago.

Yes, once the mobile apps actually get all their features back the Desktop apps will be deprecated.

Local Library will still exist, though via file shares instead of the SonosLibraryService which will go away with the Desktop apps. Whether you will be able to Search your Local Library in the web app or the mobile apps remains unclear.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Given the architecture of Sonos with peer shared object systems there’s not really a place to maintain a search engine in the local system as it would be too burdensome, just as with a web interface. Meanwhile the new search uses a cloud search engine which is probably unable to import catalogue information from the local library because licensing is too complex and the potential data storage across all users is too costly.

So the constant hedging and hand waving on the subject suggests to me they have no solution and intend to further deprecate local library access, treating it purely as an incidental “play this file” capability rather than as the main music store as most older users have it configured. I guess they fear a big backlash with actual legal action if they just discontinue it so are slowly eroding it with a “boiling frogs” strategy. I switched to Plex a while back for this reason. Perhaps Sonos should buy Plex?

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately I need to agree with you. I am very worried now that I will only be able to AirPlay into my Sonos system with all my local music now. Ever since Sonos started down the path from S1 to S2 hardware I have been looking over my shoulder at what was to come, and now that day is here.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Given the architecture of Sonos with peer shared object systems there’s not really a place to maintain a search engine in the local system as it would be too burdensome, just as with a web interface. Meanwhile the new search uses a cloud search engine which is probably unable to import catalogue information from the local library because licensing is too complex and the potential data storage across all users is too costly.

So the constant hedging and hand waving on the subject suggests to me they have no solution and intend to further deprecate local library access, treating it purely as an incidental “play this file” capability rather than as the main music store as most older users have it configured. I guess they fear a big backlash with actual legal action if they just discontinue it so are slowly eroding it with a “boiling frogs” strategy. I switched to Plex a while back for this reason. Perhaps Sonos should buy Plex?

As far as I know, the speakers themselves are indexing the files. Since the search system works now, it does not seem to me so burdensome to maintain it… the apps just have to merge the local search results with the ones from “the cloud”. It might be a bit more difficult for the web apps for sure, but they still can access the local library, so I don’t see why they couldn’t query remotely the system for a search. It might be slower for sure, but it is better than nothing.