Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

I'm not sure what the options are in Australia but have e-mailed Sonos and am awaiting a reply.

You will probably have to deal with their local distributor here: http://www.playback.com.au/support/

I had a failure. They arranged for me to send it to them, and they couriered one back the day the day they received it.
Badge
Add me to the list.....

Screen has got steadily worse over the last couple of weeks and is now very frustrating to use and I'm back to the CR100. I've emailed Sonos support.

To update this for the benefit of the UK guys, I had an immediate reply from Sonos once open for business and was provided with details of where and how to ship the faulty unit. As the distribution centre was only 5 miles away, my wife took it along in person and within 5 minutes was provided with a brand new CR200.

Now that is service. Thanks Sonos.

I only hope now that the new device remains faithfully functional long after the warranty has expired.
Userlevel 2
I'm also in the UK but not such an express experience for me. Once I had reported the issue Sonos support immediately sent me back the rma details but after that the delay kicked in... I delivered the cr200 to UPS on 13th March and the replacement arrived 9th April. Looking at the UPS tracking data it spent roughly half the time in UPS, half at Sonos in Germany.

By way of advice: I didn't order a replacement unit giving my credit card details - if I had known it would take this long I would have done so.
Badge
My wife dropped my broken CR200 into the original retailer on Monday. They say a new one will be sent to me once they have returned it to Sonos in Melbourne.
Userlevel 2
I hate to add a 'me too' to this thread.... but me too. My dead spot is right over the play / pause button and next track button. ..and me too. It's when I try to scroll on the list of artists, it freezes at E and jumps around.

What is the quick way to recalibrate the screen? I think it may be that it simply isn't tracking the finger positions correctly. A factory reset doesn't do this, but I'd like to try it before I go through the RMA route.
RMA is your only option. It is a hardware failure.
Userlevel 2
RMA is your only option. It is a hardware failure.Thanks, I'll follow your advice.

This must be costing SONOS a fair amount to replace all these controllers. I hope they're getting some money back from their suppliers.
Unfortunately, a 'me too' post. Purchased at end of February, but started playing up over the weekend (bottom and top sections of the screen).

Currently in the hands of support.
Badge +2
I realized that the lower right of my screen was not recognizing touches.

I purchased my CR200 in August, and Sonos immediately reacted and issued me an RMA.

I sent my CR200 back and am expecting a new one in the mail this week.

Thanks Sonos.
Userlevel 2
I have emailed Sonos, but would be keen to hear Sonos' comments on this problem in this forum.
brianf67,

These are user forums. Other than suggesting that the user contact SONOS support directly, SONOS does not comment on service related issues.
Userlevel 2
My CR200 has just developed this problem :(

The unresponsive area is a band across the screen. It prevents me from selecting the 2nd track on an album. But on all screens the same area of the screen in ineffective.

Pretty dissapointed to see its a common fault too.

Can anyone who's had theirs fixed reassure me that it doesn't reoccur ?

I'm presuming I have to go through support to get this sorted, as I've been browsing the forum and can't find any fixes ?

Cheers
Badge
My CR200 has just developed this problem :(

The unresponsive area is a band across the screen. It prevents me from selecting the 2nd track on an album. But on all screens the same area of the screen in ineffective.

Pretty dissapointed to see its a common fault too.

Can anyone who's had theirs fixed reassure me that it doesn't reoccur ?

I'm presuming I have to go through support to get this sorted, as I've been browsing the forum and can't find any fixes ?

Cheers

So far, so good with the new one.

Yes, go through support, the response I had was super-efficient.
Userlevel 2
yep, very quick. have got a response regarding replacement from support already 🙂 thanks for the reply rephlex
Userlevel 2
Add me to the list - me too. I bought my CR200 in August 2009, only noticed couple weeks ago that I could no longer type the letter "L". Now the bottom left is acting up as well.
Sent a mail to Sonos France, got a reply within minutes agreeing I had a defective unit and it will be exchanged. Hopefully I can get a new unit sent before sending the bad one back. Although I do have a CR100 and iPhone as backup...
My biggest concern is that the new one will eventually also have the same issues...
Userlevel 2
Another one to the list. My CR200 died a couple of weeks back. Same issue with dead spots at the bottom of the screen.

Simply Sonos gave me a number to call, new unit received the next day and I sent the old one back a few days later by courier all paid for (need the RMA for that).

So....extremely happy with the service not so happy that this seems to be a common defect. Is it software? Doubt it, given the policy to replace the units so readily. I think Sonos need to announce something here.

I was told that my new unit has it's own 12 month warranty. Obviously, hoping this problem won't occur again...and certainly not after 12 months!
Userlevel 2
And another one here - purchased almost exactly a year ago in the UK. The area above the "Music Menu" and "View Queue" (and W in an alphabetical list) is completely dead, so you can't select the bottom album in a list, and you can't hit "repace queue" (making using it very difficult!).

Oh well.

/g
Userlevel 2
And another one here - purchased almost exactly a year ago in the UK. The area above the "Music Menu" and "View Queue" (and W in an alphabetical list) is completely dead, so you can't select the bottom album in a list, and you can't hit "repace queue" (making using it very difficult!).

So, a day later: top marks to SimplySonos for pointing me in the right direction for getting a replacement unit, and to Sonos EU/UK for having a very polished returns process. the old 'un is going back next tuesday - looking forward to a functioning replacement.

Cheers,

/g
Userlevel 2
Bought mine in Jan and needed a replacement CR200 about 6 weeks ago. Mine also suffered the lack of responsiveness across the bottom.

I contacted Sonos and had a replacement next day - superb service.

It is annoying when you pay good money and things go wrong, however I'm much less disappointed when the vendor responds in such a positive way and resolves my problem so quickly.

If only all suppliers were as customer focussed.
Badge +1
Add me as well, bought three CR200's in January had to return one last month, dead spot at the bottom of the screen.

RMA process worked fine with no complaints, simply put the old one in the new one box and returned it.

Replacement is a little iffy though, requires more pressure to activate at the bottom of the screen than the top, so may well indicate a similar problem as the old. We shall see!
Userlevel 2
A question about the RMA process - particularly aimed at UK users.

Some of the documents I received said "DO NOT RETURN MAINS CALBLES", but the final document said I should return the "CR200 with cradle", so what exactly do they want? The CR200, the Cradle, but, with the transformer? And the cable that plugs into that? The whole shebang? I'm guessing that the first message was really referring to the ZP line, but don't want to end up returning the cradle and not getting replacement.

Thanks in advance.

/g
Some of the documents I received said "DO NOT RETURN MAINS CALBLES", but the final document said I should return the "CR200 with cradle", so what exactly do they want? The CR200, the Cradle, but, with the transformer? And the cable that plugs into that? The whole shebang? I'm guessing that the first message was really referring to the ZP line, but don't want to end up returning the cradle and not getting replacement.

I spoke to Sonos EU when my CR200 dies, and was told to keep mains cables and cradle. I did however get a new cradle (and mains lead) with the replacement CR200. This was about eight months ago, so things may have changed. Personally, I wouldn't risk returning the cradle, but maybe someone from Sonos (who read these boards) will illuminate...

T
Badge +1
A question about the RMA process - particularly aimed at UK users.

Thanks in advance.

/g

Not sure if I did the right thing or not, but I simply took the new unit out of the box and replaced it with the old unit. I didn't remove the new cradle or cable from the box as I was happy the issue wasn't with my "old" cradle or cable (especially as they were new in January.
Userlevel 3
Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same problem. It started a few days ago but there are dead spots around the screen. Very annoying and it seems there are quite a lot of people with the same problem.

Should I contact Sonos UK directly to get a replacement or should I go the shop where I bought it?

Thanks for your help.