Control Sonos Volume from OS X Menu Bar

• 13 January 2014
  • 82 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Got to agree with this as a +1. I use a device called Nuimo by senic, if you install the osx controller app then it allows you to use the cool controller to play, pause, skip and change the volume. It can also control Hue lights and some other stuff i don't have! cool but expensive
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I don't think Apple allows an intercept to that key/process in their OS. It's a base level command that affects system sounds as in addition to other audio.

I’m not entirely convinced this is correct. I have multiple audio devices hooked up to various macs via thunderbolt and can see drop downs from the mac system volume menu to control these, so I’m assuming it is both technically possible and permissable by Apple to do this for external devices.

But on the other hand the purpose of the main menu volume tool is to control volune coming FROM the Mac. Since Sonos stresms direct to device, I don’t think it would work very well. And as there is already a controler app for mac just a few mouse clcks away, I’m sure there are better features to spend time coding.

Just my 2c
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos should add this functionality, but in the meantime, I purchased the app for 99 cents. Great work. Move the volume control to the TOP of the app however so I dont have to move my mouse as much.
Userlevel 2
+1 (basic control functions in the menu bar - especially mute) would be great
Bought the menu bar controller which definitely helps, but I was disappointed to discover that the volume control is not mapped to the keyboard.. this is what I thought I was buying because it showed up in a thread that was discussing that. Not the developer's fault.. my mistake for not reading the description carefully enough. I'm still in serious need of controlling the volume/mute from the fn#10-12 keys if someone can please help me get there (SONOS, are you listening?!)
+1 for this! Can't seem to find anything for this.
I don't see a reason not to support this!