Cast from apps on Android?

• 29 October 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Maybe one reason for Airplay 2 being implemented and not Chromecast is that Apple are clearly fully committed to Airplay for audio streams, whereas Google canned the Chromecast audio device years ago

But let’s just deal with the glaring factual inaccuracy.  “Only Spotify (thanks to Spotify Connect) allows Android users to cast directly from the app, no other app can do it”.  Apart from Amazon Music, Tidal and Pandora.  Plus Audible and a few others.  It is kind of funny and ironic that you have even tagged Amazon Music and Pandora in your post.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3549?language=en_US

The first app that could be cast to Sonos was Google Play Music. This was available only on Android, and Airplay was not then supported.  (The obvious conclusion is that at that time all the Sonos execs had Android devices.)  Google replaced GPM with YTM, but casting hasn’t (yet) been made possible.  Perhaps Sonos and Google are working on this, perhaps not.  I’m sure Sonos would welcome this facility. 

There is also ‘On this mobile device” on the Sonos Android app (only) to allow streaming of music stored on an Android mobile device to any Sonos speaker / player.

@ralx .  I am surprised you are still taking an interest in this topic, given that you informed us in a post 10 months ago that you had sold all of your Sonos speakers because of this issue.

Or is it Google who’s unwilling to provide access to Chromecast to Sonos, perhaps due to their ongoing litigation? What if Sonos has been begging them to allow this for years, and there’s been no positive response from Google, so Sonos just implemented the Apple version in the hopes that it would push Google over the edge?

Not sure I understand why it is “preferential” treatment. Any more so than one service provider allowing all content, and another, such as the BBC, only allowing certain streams to exist on Sonos. Is that also preferential treatment by the BBC to allow access only on their own application, and not on Sonos?