Skip to main content
Answered

Bug report: Stations not appearing on Recently Played

Hi @Corry P / @Jamie A / @Sotiris C., so many issues with the new app and so many threads, that I don't know if this one has been discussed yet, so I would like to report it to be sure it’s on the backlog:

I use Amazon Music and I listen mostly to their Stations. When I play an Album from Amazon Music or Live Station from Sonos Radio they correctly appear on the Recently Played. But, when I play an Amazon Music Station, it doesn't.

In 16.1 and before it always appeared. Could you add it to the bug backlog, please?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

Thanks for your post!

Sure thing - thanks for reporting! For your information, I was able to reproduce the issue myself.

Hi Team, even I face an issue when trying to replay content from Recently Played section of the app. Clicking on one of the options always throw an error which forces me to select the same option manually. For example, I have a radio station from My Tuner that I frequently listen to and have favourited. When I click to listen to this station from my Recently Played list, it doesn’t work and throws an error message. But the same station plays fine when I click on it from the list of Favourites. This has become very annoying. Kindly fix it please team! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @VBabykumar 

A tiny bit off-topic, but close enough! Thanks - I can reproduce this behaviour exactly as you describe and have reported it.

Hi @VBabykumar 

A tiny bit off-topic, but close enough! Thanks - I can reproduce this behaviour exactly as you describe and have reported it.

Wow, thanks so much Corry for reporting this. Fingers crossed for a fix soon :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @VBabykumar 

My pleasure.

One point - you mentioned myTuner. I reproduced with myTuner, but haven’t noticed the behaviour with any other services. Have you noticed this happen with any service other than myTuner?

Hi Corry, I just checked and can confirm that this bug affects only MyTuner radio. Global Radio, CBC Radio, TuneIn work perfectly as intended :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @VBabykumar 

Thanks for checking! That should simplify matters a bit!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Nothing at all shows up in my ‘recently played.’ Instead, it still says ‘your recent history will show here when you’ve played some content.’ I’ve finally managed to get the new app to create a queue of tracks and have played through the queue. So why isn’t that stuff in ‘recently played’ so I will be able to access it if I lose the queue during a power outage or for some other reason?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

The only way you’d be able to play music during a power cut would be if you were playing to a Move/Roam/Ace with Bluetooth.

Regardless, you should be seeing tracks shown in the Recently Played section of the app. Please ensure the following option is turned on: User icon » Data & Privacy » Use Personalisation Services. If it is already on, please turn it off, then on again.

If that doesn’t immediately fix the issue, please force-close the Sonos app and re-open it to check again.

Finally, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, if the issue is still not resolved.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Corry… Of course I know I cannot use my system in a power outage. But in the app as it existed before this ‘new and improved’ version, a queue that I saved as a playlist survived an outage; a queue not saved as a playlist was lost.

Now that we cannot create a playlist at all; and because none of my pre-existing playlists are accessible on the new app… the only way to reconstruct a lost queue would be to (1) find the content in ‘recently played’ or (2) start from scratch yet again.

But since ‘recently played’ has gone missing, (2) is my only option; and a bad one at that. And if the app is so unstable that it has to be toggled and fiddled with just to get a basic function like this to work, something is rotten in the state of Denmark. 

What little functionality remains is unpredictable. Even the volume control works only when it gets in the mood. And don’t tell me it’s my wifi. I have 1GB service; I get strong 500 mbps at my tablet throughout the house; I am using a ‘boost’ with my relatively new router; and I had none of these issues before you ‘improved’ the controller.

You guys need to get on the AA program. First step on the road to recovery is ‘admit you’ve got a problem.’ And man, have you got a problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

Apologies - I misunderstood what you meant about the loss of power. I understand now. Playlists will be returning soon, though I cannot find an estimate for when.

I just took a quick look at your system to determine if you were mentioning a Sonos Boost or a WiFi Booster of some kind, and I immediately noticed your most recent diagnostics reporting a faulty ethernet cable connecting your Boost to your router - if you have not been manually disconnecting/reconnecting the cable recently, then I recommend you replace the cable - that could be be the reason for the unreliable volume control, as well as other issues (though not the playlists, of course).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Odd, is it not… that supposedly ‘defective cable’ didn’t affect the performance of my Sonos hardware or the controller app until the app was ‘modernized.’

I have a hunch what your diagnostics reflect is that we had intermittent power outages and unreliable internet service in my neighborhood over the course of two days this week. But just to eliminate all doubt, I’ll hunt down another cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

I can only go by what the devices report, and the Boost reported 3 disconnects on Ethernet in the space of one minute. It’s possible that power fluctuations were responsible, but I would have thought that if the router went off, the Boost would too.

I suppose it’s possible that this cable issue may have pre-dated the Sonos app update, but that you are now more sensitive to the vagaries of behaviour you’re seeing from the Sonos system as a result of the experience you’ve had with the new app. I can only guess.

I’m also seeing a once-every-fifteen-minutes large spike of multicast packets not intended for Sonos devices arriving at the Boost’s network interface - this could also affect performance, though only periodically. I am unable to determine where they are coming from, however - you’d need a packet sniffer app on a local device to do that. If you can isolate and remove the source of these spikes, you may see an improvement, though I’d guess only in periodic music interruptions, if you see any of those? If you don’t have interruptions, it’s probably not worth chasing down.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

We had strong winds early in the week; power fluttered on and off before it went out. Internet also went down twice. Comcast did ‘troubleshooting’ that toggled my modem and router, which may be what you saw. The total outage was followed by about an hour of intermittent service. I’d wager what you were seeing was related to all of that noise.

I had no issues with the Sonos system right up to the time I awoke one morning to find that both my ipad and my iphone had updated. Prior to that, i still had the ‘old’ S2 on my iphone, which I used for a week or two with zero problems. I even retained access to my playlists so long as I continued using the ‘old’ S2 on my iphone as my Sonos controller.

I can’t rule out some other cause with absolute certainty; and I know temporal contiguity doesn’t always indicate causation. But I’d also say when you hear hoofbeats, there are probably horses in the vicinity. And given I’m not the Lone Ranger experiencing all manner of problems ever since the ‘new and improved’ app rode into town, I’m reasonably certain that app is the source of my extreme frustration. ‘It’s a known issue.’

P.S. ‘Denial’ is not a river in Egypt. The updated app is a disaster. It was unleashed on the community of Sonos users, pretty much without warning, weeks or possibly months before it was ready for prime time. I never expected to pick up my tablet, tap on the Sonos icon and find my music completely, irretrievably gone and most other basic functions FUBAR. But thus it was, and still pretty much remains weeks after release.

If you are one of the people who made the corporate decision to take this step, it’s time to take responsibility and get it right, and fast. If you are merely stuck in the uncomfortable position of trying to defend a decision made further up the food chain, and now must deal with the blowback, you have my sympathy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

If your ISP instructed your router to reboot, that could well be the reason for the reported ethernet disconnects, so that may be a red herring after all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @VBabykumar 

We believe the issue with links to myTuner stations in Recently Played not working is now resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Recently played still does nothing for me. Either says ‘unable to load data’ or promises to display recent tracks when I have played content… after I’ve played a few dozen tracks. I have installed every recent update on the speakers and my ipad.

I have no more functionality and no fewer bugs than on the initial release of the ‘new and improved controller’ a month ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

The fix I mentioned above only related to myTuner specifically.

Could I ask you to please try playing from each music service you have and check if you see no entries in Recently Played for each of them? We are aware of issues where entries from certain sources don’t show in Recently Played, but not of nothing showing there at all. Thanks.

Hi @VBabykumar 

We believe the issue with links to myTuner stations in Recently Played not working is now resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Corry! Happy to report back that the issue has been resolved! Really appreciate the prompt response and follow up :) Happy to be a Sonos customer! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Corry P: Here’s a new one. A few hours ago I opened the Sonos app on my ipad, clicked the ‘>’ at the right of the ‘sonos favorites’ column, and lo and behold: my saved albums and Sonos playlists displayed. I tapped ‘view all’ next to the playlists section and an icon for each of my Sonos playlists came up.

Hurrah! Progress! So I thought.

Unfortunately, I opened the app a few hours later and no Sonos playlists. Gone again. I tried restarting my ipad; restarting my modem and router. Still not there.

I then tried via the Sonos web app. Playlists display, sort of. I tried to open one and got ‘internal server error - try again later.’

What’s going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chambolle 

What’s going on?

Well, that’s a little above my pay grade to give you an exact answer, but there is still some unwanted behaviour in the new app that we are still working on resolving. I can only ask for further patience.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Oh well… it was fun while it lasted.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When trying to access recently played from Apple Music:

Have had the issue since the new app was released. 

But the most annoying thing with the new app is the constant delays and lag when trying to control the volume and group/ungroup speakers. 

The previous app was so much better in regards to that, way more user friendly and easier to use.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

There is no album art or station logo art in the now playing screen for sirius xm stations and tune in radio as well. Its there in the channel search but is blank in the now playing tab. Can this be fixed please? Is anyone aware of this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tim_50 

I don’t think we were aware, but I was able to reproduce the issue on my system and have reported it - thanks!