At this point maybe a statement from Sonos might be useful.......

• 16 October 2017
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

The new app design has nothing to do with Alexa - one does not interact at all with the other.
Agreed with the latter, but the former may not be true in a broader sense; as voice control gets in, the use of the then seen to be supplementary app will change, dictating design changes there so perhaps some of these have crept in.

At this time I don't use voice, and the app changes leave me as unhappy as I am at every app change for the relearning involved, but no more.

Calling out the system as broken is a leap though, not just a stretch. And there IS another app that I use often, that remains very stable and unchanged. It needs a computer to use it though:-)
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Over the next few releases, I think you'll be seeing some improvements that you like on the foundation of this app. The team is hard at work revising things, and though we can't share any specifics today, the team is really interested in seeing your feedback.

Well, now on 8.2, and I for one am not seeing it.

Andrew
Then I suggest you take a look at the changes made to the My Sonos section.

Requested ability to combine favorites. Check!

Requested smaller icons in list view. Check!

See it now?
Then I suggest you take a look at the changes made to the My Sonos section.

See it now?

Responsive indeed, in my opinion. To that end, I just noticed following today's app update a quick-tap from the now-playing screen to enter the current queue... Just to the right side of volume bar. Was that always there in V8 and I missed it, or is it a new addition?

Ha! So is he responsible for what I see here in my first such over the top title?:https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/version-8-2-broke-my-system-6794151
I seem to be stuck in a loop. When I go to the Sonos app on my iPad, go into settings, software update, it says there is an update available, click the button to get it. That takes me to the App Store, but I’m not seeing any way to update it, as all I see is ‘Open.’ If I click that it takes me back to Sonos telling me to update again. What am I missing?
Nothing. Version 8.2 is a bad idea. Stay with 8.1.1, IMO.
I seem to be stuck in a loop. When I go to the Sonos app on my iPad, go into settings, software update, it says there is an update available, click the button to get it. That takes me to the App Store, but I’m not seeing any way to update it, as all I see is ‘Open.’ If I click that it takes me back to Sonos telling me to update again. What am I missing?

That's exactly what happened to me on 8.0. Apparently the update hadn't been pushed out to the app store yet. It worked 30 minutes later.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
In a way, I kinda understand people's gripe with the voice control, but I think that was at least in part with Sonos giving everyone nearly a year to build unrealistic expectations. After all we have been able to dictate to our mobile phone's and word processors for years, but next to nobody does, because it is unreliable and frustrating. So it would have taken a miracle for Sonos to deliver what everyone seemed to expect. For my part, I am (a lot) over 30yrs old and I still smile in awe when I speak to Alexa and the music flows. I still think it's blood impressive stuff, and voice control continues to slowly progress year on year. It will get better.

And I agree with you Kumar that we are not going to get a road map or detailed plan. But to be landed with V8 (which I personally think is terrible) is one thing , but to know we will have to live with it for a considerable time due to Sonos's glacial development is another. But maybe that is not the case, in which case we can all breath easy.

Andrew
Andrew, I would suggest to you that your expectation for Sonos to suspend their current release strategy which has probably been in place for a year or more in order to squeeze in a UI change, any UI change, in a mere two weeks, is unrealistic at best. The software development and QA cycle just doesn't work that way. You will see these changes, but I would not expect them to start showing up until after the holidays at the very soonest (and even that would mean Sonos is doing some priority shifting).