At this point maybe a statement from Sonos might be useful.......

• 16 October 2017
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Does the new app bring back the play queue as it was? To me, Sonos dropped the ball big time when the app went from using the play queue to "play this now and obliterate the queue".

I prefer the old queue system. It seemed much more user friendly.

I haven't used the new app much yet to form a fair opinion, but the negatives for me are the same as this forum. It is far too bright. It's uncomfortable at the best of times, but if I am tired or have any kind of headache then bright screens can become very annoying. Ryan - if you guys have a Christmas Party, maybe ask everyone to look at these forums as soon as they wake up the next morning?!

On the whole, I appreciate the development and growth of Sonos. I enjoy Sonos more now than I did a few years ago, and that is due to the addition of services, controller apps etc. which all work with my original purchases.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Does the new app bring back the play queue as it was? To me, Sonos dropped the ball big time when the app went from using the play queue to "play this now and obliterate the queue".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I hear you, Andrew, and I totally understand wanting to know more. After all, we're all here for the same reason, we like Sonos and want to see the software and hardware improve. While the app can't be everything for everyone, we're hoping to build it into something that is great for most people.

Over the next few releases, I think you'll be seeing some improvements that you like on the foundation of this app. The team is hard at work revising things, and though we can't share any specifics today, the team is really interested in seeing your feedback.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi Ryan.

Thanks for your reply. I' sure we all appreciate your help on here, and I'm guessing this hasn't been an awful lot of fun for you either, these last two weeks.

I was just hoping for a hint, perhaps, that Sonos will really concentrate on pushing out a 8.1 before the holidays to address some of the more obvious problems. The Ipad usually comes out for guests over the Christmas period and to be honest I don't think I'll be doing that this year in it's current state.

I get it that you can't comment on the state of software development. It would be nice if someone up the chain, just on this occasion, would.

Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Andrewmk, I hear your frustration and concern, we appreciate that you care about Sonos and the future! There are lots of big plans around the new app, voice control, and the future of Sonos, and it's moving a lot faster than we ever have before. I can't speak to what's coming next, or when, because software development takes time and things come up that change dates all the time.

The team is hard at work looking at feedback and criticism, and they will continue to do so as we develop the software, and hardware too for that matter. Feedback on the community tends to include a lot of criticism because having concerns is far more motivating when it comes to offering suggestions compared with enjoying a new design. We got a lot of feedback and some great constructive suggestions which will be getting fed into future versions of the app. This is just the start of the new design for the controller.

I think you've already shared some great feedback in other threads that has been passed up, but if you have any other suggestions please feel free to share.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I rarely have the computer out so the mobile app (android) is my main control.

No want or need for Alexa, but a forced update due to buying a new Play1 (the irony!) has ruined my Sonos experience unfortunately.

The absolute waste of screen utilisation on My Sonos is shocking, just deffinitely Form over Function..

"Legacy" mode would have been nice.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
there is a similar storm every time a major refresh happens. Is this one more, the same, or less in its intensity is hard to say. This time around there is also a lot of talk about the Alexa subject as well to add to the noise levels that makes it difficult to compare these with those in the past and see how they compare for just the UI change.

This one is more-way more of an outcry.

I dislike some UI changes, some I don’t mind at all. This one is waaaaayyy worse.

And judging by the amount of threads and responses and outcry vs the last few UI changes this one is on a whole new level.

Let’s not put our heads in the sand and say it’s similar to the backlash to most UI changes-It’s not even close. This software is utterly baffling, confusing and downright terrible.
My expectation is some tweaks, not much more. There is so much that needs doing just to keep pace with Amazon on voice control and ironing out wrinkles, while adding Google and the rest - I think that Sonos development resources are going to have their hands full for quite a while. So learning things like the Edit function posted on another concurrently running thread may be a good idea to customise Version 8 to the extent possible and shorten the transition pain.
In my case I also happen to use the desktop controller about half the time - may that one remain unchanged as it has for many years now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
In a way, I kinda understand people's gripe with the voice control, but I think that was at least in part with Sonos giving everyone nearly a year to build unrealistic expectations. After all we have been able to dictate to our mobile phone's and word processors for years, but next to nobody does, because it is unreliable and frustrating. So it would have taken a miracle for Sonos to deliver what everyone seemed to expect. For my part, I am (a lot) over 30yrs old and I still smile in awe when I speak to Alexa and the music flows. I still think it's blood impressive stuff, and voice control continues to slowly progress year on year. It will get better.

And I agree with you Kumar that we are not going to get a road map or detailed plan. But to be landed with V8 (which I personally think is terrible) is one thing , but to know we will have to live with it for a considerable time due to Sonos's glacial development is another. But maybe that is not the case, in which case we can all breath easy.

Andrew
Any such response from Sonos will be a corporate exception, even if warranted. Except in matters of life and death issues or those of broad public interest, companies don't like to restrict future room to manoeuvre by making more than bland anodyne kind of public statements - that will then have folks complaining about those.

And I said "if warranted" because there is a similar storm every time a major refresh happens. Is this one more, the same, or less in its intensity is hard to say. This time around there is also a lot of talk about the Alexa subject as well to add to the noise levels that makes it difficult to compare these with those in the past and see how they compare for just the UI change.

Personally, I hate all UI changes. Having learnt one, and also learnt to live with any shortcomings, I hate the necessary relearning every time. But the market seems to crave these so if I want the rest of the system benefits, I have learnt to live with each one that comes around with expectations that are set low and thus easily met.