Skip to main content
Answered

and now you've broken indexing

I thought it couldn’t get any worse. No fast scroll, no album art, no search.

You’ve basically destroyed use of my music library.

Now I want to listen to an album called “Trance Europe Express” that I’ve filed under the Album Artist “Trance Europe Express” because it’s a series of compilations and I get this

track 9, 3, 2, 10 etc.

This is on both the Android app and Windows desktop. After playing this mess the Android app just crashes cyclically now.

What else might suffer from the same thing? DJ Paul Oakenfold, filed under Album Artist Paul Oakenfold, lots of different artists.

Yep, worked for years but now junked. Thousands of pounds worth of equipment now no more than scrap.

Apologies if someone else has pointed this out but a search of topics didn’t immediately show anything obvious.

I don’t expect anything other than corporate platitudes so really don’t bother. Do better.

11 replies

Userlevel 2

To expand on this.

Where an album has a single Album Artist and multiple different Artists, I am seeing a pseudo-album for each Artist. The contents of all the pseudo-albums is the same, and is listed in alphabetical order of the Artists, rather than disc-no, track-no.

So Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs’ compilation “Fantastic Voyage: New Sounds for the European Canon 1977-1981” looks like this in reality (MusicBee)

I see 17 copies of it in Sonos

Each copy is the same

and the track order is:

The Associates

Basil Kirchin

Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem

Cabaret Voltaire

Chas Jankel

etc.

So basically all compilations, soundtracks and DJ mixes are now destroyed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I don’t know if this will apply to your issue but Sonos is issuing an app update (due later today) which is meant to tackle music library search and playback issues, amongst other things...

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I know it can’t explain why things have changed for you, but have you checked that the metadata for the individual tracks make sense? E.g. the ID3 tags if the format is MP3? From what I can tell, these are typically used for indexing and ordering rather than the filenames.

Userlevel 2

but have you checked that the metadata for the individual tracks make sense? E.g. the ID3 tags if the format is MP3?

Thank you, yes. They’re actually FLAC, so Vorbis comments rather than ID3, but the principal is the same.

In many cases these are files that haven’t been changed in literally years, and I pride myself on a well-tagged library, for all the good it has done me now 😃

This is either something in indexing or something common between at least the Android app and Windows desktop controller.

Userlevel 2

edit: yes, I’ve also tried re-indexing again. No change that I can perceive, compilations still garbled.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

On the old (16.1) app there is a “compilation albums” option, with several sub-options (you can choose to “Use Album Artists” or not). I wonder if it is related to that?

One of the problems with re-writing an app from scratch (as has been done here with such devastating results) is that you can lose sight of why things were done in a specific way in the old version…

[Edit - seems you’re not the only one having this type of problem:

Maybe today’s new release will fix it? Who knows what else it will break...

Userlevel 2

On the old (16.1) app there is a “compilation albums” option, with several sub-options (you can choose to “Use Album Artists” or not). I wonder if it is related to that?

Indeed. And I still have that checked in the Windows desktop controller

Let’s see what the next update brings 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Let’s see what the next update brings 😀

The next update is out now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Midmodder

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for flagging this behaviour - we have identified an issue and are now investigating. I will update this thread when it is resolved, but there is no ETA for when that might be.

Yes, in addition to the multiple copies of albums, which appears to happen due to multiple artists on an album, the track listings are also screwed up due to multiple album artists.

And YES, I HAVE “SORT FOLDERS BY” SET TO “SONG NUMBER”.  Just wanted to clarify.

The track listings are now sorted by the “Artist” meta data and then the track number.  Here’s an example from my library from Tha Alkaholiks album “21 & Over” - this is the order of the tracks listed and the Artist metadata, so you can see how the sorting is broken by sorting on the Artist:

Track 02 - Tha Alkaholiks

Track 03 - Tha Alkaholiks

Track 04 - Tha Alkaholiks

Track 08 - Tha Alkaholiks

Track 09 - Tha Alkaholiks

Track 07 - Tha Alkaholiks Feat. Field Trip

Track 01 - Tha Alkaholiks Feat. King Tee

Track 06 - Tha Alkaholiks Feat. King Tee

Track 05 - Tha Alkaholiks Feat. Loopback

Track 10 - Tha Alkaholiks Feat. Threat

SONOS, this is basic functionality.  WTF are you doing there?