Allow more than one speaker per room group

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe one day...

There should be now some ifttt abilities now where you can trigger the grouping every day or when certain things play so they will auto group.
My request is simple, I have two play 1 speakers and a play 3 speaker I want in the same room, isn’t there any easy way to accomplish this?
Heh. If you mean in the Sonos software definition of "room", no, not really. However, I've frequently got around that limitation by making two separate rooms, then just grouping them in the Sonos controller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a Sonos One stereo pair and a Quake sub which is fed via a Sonos Connect - they live in my living room and, after tweaking, the Sub does a great job of adding some bottom end without spoiling the stero paired Ones sound. Grouping does work, but it's repeatedly broken by updates, which is a pain that Sonos apparently can't or won't fix.

If I had a Sonos Sub augmenting my Ones, would I still have to go through the same hassle?

Sonos Rooms are stupid IMO, when only single items can live in any one of them (with the exception of stereo pairs).

You can add a Sub to a paired set of speakers and they are 1 homogenous group that is permanent.

As to your comment that not being able to create rooms with more more than 2 speakers (apart from Sub as above) I refer you to jgatie's comments above
Same here! Have a Play One and now, because the sound was quite insignificant in my reasonable sized exercise room, purchased a Sonos One! I cannot group the two (effectively) same size speakers into the same room! Ridiculous!!
Same here! Have a Play One and now, because the sound was quite insignificant in my reasonable sized exercise room, purchased a Sonos One! I cannot group the two (effectively) same size speakers into the same room! Ridiculous!!Sorry but you have failed to understand the nature of a Sonos 'room'. 'Room' as a label for particular configurations of speakers is fundamental to the system's design. Just give them different names and group them if you want them to play together. It is your comment that is ridiculous.
'The nature of a Sonos 'room'?! Yes, a very particular configuration of speakers!
The Play 1 and Sonos One are virtually identical other than the Alexa element. You are limited to control them only through the app and not through voice control as I do.
Sorry, I don't have Pandora to test this, but I think that if you group the two rooms together in the Sonos app, and then play using the Pandora app to the one room, the second, grouped room should play at the same time.
Ah, I didn't address your second paragraph. Ungrouping of rooms is an indication that you've got some issues in your local wifi, and your speakers are dropping off, and then (hopefully) reconnecting. I think the first thing I'd try is a simple reboot of your speakers and router, and see if that helps.
+1 here.... Especially when the new Ikea speakers will come out, people won't understand the Sonos-room-principle-idea
+1 here.... Especially when the new Ikea speakers will come out, people won't understand the Sonos-room-principle-ideaThat may be true, but the concept of a 'room' as a label for particular, logical operating units is fundamental to Sonos' system design. It can be a building block for other arrangements by grouping. That produces a system that is coherent and flexible.

It is fundamental. It isn't going to change.
So, I'll just have to live with multiple 'rooms' in my physical room? --todo: insert inception meme image here
So, I'll just have to live with multiple 'rooms' in my physical room? --todo: insert inception meme image here

Or you could optimize your sound by sticking with the standard Sonos room configuration(s), and using the extra speakers elsewhere in the home.
+1 here.... Especially when the new Ikea speakers will come out, people won't understand the Sonos-room-principle-idea

It's not like it's a hard concept to understand. And although, it seems like an easy thing for Sonos to implement, there are several consequences to consider from enabling such a feature. You may want to have 2 mono speakers to the same room, but what about the guy who wants to add 20? And then there is trueplay to consider? Trueplay currently tunes anything that's in the same logical room. How do you explain to a customer that you can trueplay a stereo pair, but not 2,3, or 4 etc mono speakers? What about HT setups? Are customers going to easily understand that those 2 extra speakers you want in the back for surround won't actually play surround, but they'll be slightly delayed behind the all the other speakers?

I think the rooms that Sonos currently have are actually the easiest to understand when you factor all the features that a room has. Perhaps what might make everyone happy is a more robust 'named group' that can be referenced in the Sonos app rooms tab as well as third party controls.
Dont forget the potential issues when using voice control.