Allow more than one speaker per room group

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 1
jgatie - You are really over-thinking this. A "mishmash of different models in non-standard configurations" can already be grouped. This request is easily solved with a UI feature to "lock" a group and give it a single name.

As I explained, Sonos only allows you to do that with certain standard configurations. Not sure why you think I'm over thinking, but that is as simple as it gets.
Apparently this is a popular request so I’m adding my voice. I have multiple speakers in one room (Play 5 and a stereo pair of One). I want to assign them all to the same room (permanent group). This should be fairly easy (like Apple Home or Phillips Hue) to have different names for the speaker but assign them all to the same room/group.

This is great idea. It would help me out with my set up.

I've got a 2 Sonos Ones in a bedroom and a Sonos Play 1 in the Ensuite.

I want the Bedroom and Ensuite speakers perminat locked into a group, but still separate rooms... And this is why:

Using IFTTT, when I switch the bathroom light on, it unmutes the ensuite speaker. So, IF there is music playing the bedroom, it will follow me into the ensuite when I switch the light on.

Then re-mutes the ensuite speaker when I switch the light off again. I've got this set up perfectly, very fancy pants (when it works).

Now, I've got many other Sonos speakers. If I decide to group the music already playing in the Kitchen, with the Bedroom (/ensuite), it will first create a new group between the kitchen and the bedroom, so, I have to tuen add a few more steps to get the ensuite back into the group. This is also the case whilst ungrouoing. Bit of a pain. Not gonna loose sleep over it, however, locking groups together, for my situation, would be very cool. Please ADD THE ABILITY TO LOCK GROUPS TOGEHTER!! ?.

I don't think anyone is really saying that they want to be able to pair a play:3 with a play:1 as a stereo pair.

You'd be surprised. There was an uproar in here about not being able to pair a first gen Play:5 with a second gen when the second came out. They are as unalike in sound and looks as you can get, but there was still a sizable number of complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Absolutely. Permanent groups have been asked for continuously. No indication on Sonos part they will ever actually do it. We have been hoping voice integration will loosen that stance.
I don't think that it's worth having another app, for my situation at least, but I'll look into it. Also, I'm assuming that sonosequencer isn't going to allow me to call that named group through the Alexa interface.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Sonosequencer will do that in its app

So I noticed when I looked it up when mentioned above in the thread. Handy tip. Thanks. Personally I’d prefer a supported option rather than a ‘hack’ via a 3rd party app that might break when Sonos make a change. Might resort to it at a later date if the feature is not forthcoming (won’t hold my breath).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonosequencer will do that in its app
I find it refreshing that Sonos cares so much about sound quality that it only allows setups that are acoustically optimum. If someone wants sub-optimal pairings or groupings, let them buy an app that hacks them in.

I don't think anyone is really saying that they want to be able to pair a play:3 with a play:1 as a stereo pair. What they're saying that if that if have a room in which they placed a play:1 in each corner of the room, why can they set it up as two stereo pairs, then permanently group them? Yes you can set it repeatedly, and maybe not have to reset all that often, but it would still be a nice feature.

Personally, I just want named groups, so that my commonly used groupings are more easily set, and can be done by voice.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Ability to store groups and recall favourite ‘scenes’ would be good though. Even if the older soeakers don’t have the space for this in memory, then sureky the controller app or cloud could be used to store them with the recall being automated. Would be a step forward from having to manually re-group and retune for those with larger houses and or lots of ‘rooms’. Yes it can be done manually, but it is cumbersome and could be addressed in a future update. Not aure how many people work at sonos, but I expect it is not a one man band and they don’t exactly have a huge and complex product range to look after!
I find it refreshing that Sonos cares so much about sound quality that it only allows setups that are acoustically optimum. If someone wants sub-optimal pairings or groupings, let them buy an app that hacks them in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stereo pairing unmatched speakers shouldn’t be seen as standard feature. How many people buy two different wired speakers and stereo pair them. They don’t.

If I took two different B&W speakers and wired them as a pair B&W would say I was crazy. Sonos no different.
Badge
Just group them all. You can use program like sonosequencr to one touch organize your groups.

It's sad that a third party had to make software to give the features that a system at this price-point should have by default 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just group them all. You can use program like sonosequencr to one touch organize your groups.
jgatie - You are really over-thinking this. A "mishmash of different models in non-standard configurations" can already be grouped. This request is easily solved with a UI feature to "lock" a group and give it a single name.

As I explained, Sonos only allows you to do that with certain standard configurations. Not sure why you think I'm over thinking, but that is as simple as it gets.
Userlevel 1
I highly doubt this will ever happen. For bonding (what you call permanent grouping), Sonos prefers standard, acoustically optimum setups: Single speaker, 2.0, 2.1, and the various surround setups, all with like models for pairs. A mishmash of different models arranged in non-standard configurations is probably always going to be via grouping only.