Answered

24bit support only goes upto 44,000khz/48,000khz

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for your reply.

The real point I am making hear is that Sonos isn't supporting at the moment 96kHZ or 196kHZ, which is kind of half baked...I am really hoping that this is supported real soon! Please support this soon Sonos, as Bluesound support it as well as the MQA technology when sending the file to be unpacked at the hardware end.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

First of all I appreciate both your replies ratty/amun, but the support “headaches” that you think Sonos would endure, are more down to the user(s) having the necessary bandwidth to deal with the larger file sizes especially if they’re using WiFi and not a hardwired connection!

In my world, and yes, it’s about giving the customer the choice, pointing out to them about the connection issues, and the speeds that are needed to enjoy the larger file sizes that come with the higher frequencies.Audiophiles understand this…

As for me and a lot of other users on here, what software would you recommend that would adapt the 96/192kHZ albums that we have, to say 48kHZ, so it’s compatible for the current setup? thanks 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The “down-conversion to 24/48 in the port” - would be great see in a future update as a last resort!

Hi @HiRESrules, welcome to the community! Yes, Sonos S2 system supports up to 24-bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLAC/ALAC) and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Given the statement by the Sonos rep, I’m not sure why you would expect them to. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Given that Sonos have provided support for 24bit, but only up to the frequency of 44.1/48kHZ, then this is only a half measure. Anyone that cares about sound quality and where the recording industry is going, would welcome the need for 96/192kHZ hi-res frequency!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Given that Sonos have provided support for 24bit, but only up to the frequency of 44.1/48kHZ, then this is only a half measure. Anyone that cares about sound quality and where the recording industry is going, would welcome the need for 96/192kHZ hi-res frequency!

Sonos has been against hi res in the past. But it

isn'tthat they are against sound quality, they make good sounding devices. Top notch sound quality at any price point.

I read they didn't think it mattered or was needed (or something like that). 

Hi @HiRESrules, welcome to the community! Yes, Sonos S2 system supports up to 24-bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLAC/ALAC) and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

24 bit music with local hard drive files is a wonderful thing.  Thank you.  How large a priority for the Sonos Team is it that we will be able to stream 24 bit music like Amazon HD?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Krishma

Thanks for your reply.

It would be good if Sonos can make this change as it will improve the hi-resolution audio experience…

I used to have Bluesound and they support the higher resolution format and they support MQA streaming as well when you're using Tidal.

Looking forward to Sonos implementing this real soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can hear the difference, as there is more detail in the overall sound....like the volume doesn't need to be up as much. It can't be much of a tweak for the engineers to up it from 44.1/48 to 88khz to 96khz/192khz as a lot of artists record in different 24bit frequencies! Sonos, please, you're nearly there!

That way you will be providing and catering for the full support that the record industry is giving the consumer...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks TTT15 and that's where we're heading. I live music quality and very impressed with the S2 app. Sonos is class leading and hopefully they'll just tweak things to make it 💯 perfect! Fingers crossed.

I've got a lot of 96kHZ and 192kHZ that just doesn't play...and most artists where they release their new records in hi-res format are choosing as a minimum the 96kHZ format and 192kHZ is getting more and more popular!

What-Hifi did mention with that there might be more updates coming soon to cater for what I am talking about and the MQA streaming that Tidal offers....

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey Sonos

Please support 24bit frequency 96kHZ or 192kHz as this will allow everyone the ability to play their own collections as they were intended, or listen to Tidal that streams in master quality using mqa! Bluesound offers this.... By only giving us 24bit 48kHZ or 44.1kHZ it is only a half baked option!

Thank you