Starting a week ago, Amazon Music no longer works on my Sonos 1 system!!

• 30 October 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

As you are using a Linksys Velop mesh setup around the Home, you might perhaps find this post (linked below) helpful too, if you haven’t seen it already:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you Ken; before going down this route and reconfiguring my Linksys VELOP Mesh (which has been remarkably reliable for years….), let me ask once more: Why would this only affect Amazon music? That is really what I don’t get. Whatever the cause must relate and be consistent with this observation: Everything works fine, except Amazon Music via the Internet, when played on more than 5 stations/rooms…..

I only scanned quickly the reference you provided, and I don’t see how it would explain that observation (perhaps I missed something?)

If you are playing a lossless (HD) stream from Amazon Music then this might be a factor. It seems to have been for a few other users. Using Alexa or playing from the AM app doesn't use lossless. Hence my curiosity about those possibilities. 

You mentioned HD in your original post. Do you know if you have this? If so can you go back to playing a standard stream?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

so this is interesting: I am currently subscribed to Amazon limitless; just googled if I can remove HD from it, and while it says you can on an amazon FAQ site, I don’t see that option.

So if I cancel Unlimited (which includes Amazon HD), can I still get Amazon stations on Sonos (which only lists “Amazon Music Service”!) as a regular Amazon Prime member? Is Sonos using Amazon Unlimited HD, or just Amazon Standard Music Service, by default...

That might be it….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please look at my article: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good advice; but one question: Would IP address conflicts not affect all music services, not only Amazon?

Please advise before I reboot everything. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

PS: Again, Pandora works flawlessly, my internet speed is at >200Mbps, but when I tried to play some random Amazon Prime Music stations/playlists I get different stations  phasing in/out, but never all of them playing at once. The error log says:

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 8:00 AM Central Time
Unable to play 'Serenade To Spring' - network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer.

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 8:13 AM Central Time
Unable to play 'Song From A Secret Garden' - network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer.

Very weird; any ideas?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So I think it all is clear(er) now: According to KEN’s clarification of RIO’s posting above, Sonos Connect and Connect Amp Gen 2 should work with 24bit audio -- but mine are Gen 1 (the cost of being an early adopter).

Also, and as I wrote before, Amazon had extended automatically my Unlimited trial by one month, but that trial finally expired as of this morning (1/1/22) -- and it all works again. So this is the second time around that I got to perform this test/experiment, with the same outcome both time.

Conclusions: I have several very old pieces (Gen 1) that do NOT support HD streaming. Hopefully Amazon or Sonos will figure out a way to turn HD off (I can on my Windows Amazon Music APP; but not in the Sonos S1 controller). Until then I will unfortunately have to give up on Amazon Unlimited for now. 

PS: I never could hear the difference between HD 24 bit streaming and the regular streaming. I guess I am not and “Audiophile” -- or just plain too old and have listened to too much loud music. Either way, not worth the few k$’s to throw away my old equipment and replace with the new of basically the same functionality...

By 'HD', Amazon mean 16-bit CD quality, which every Sonos player has always been able to play. 

24-bit is labelled 'Ultra HD'. I have an S2 system, but within this some players are not capable of Ultra HD. On those, Amazon Music just plays HD.

I would have expected S1 to play HD versions rather than not to play at all. But apparently not? (Note: 24-bit is not available on S1 at all, with any player)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If you go up this thread, John, I described the “malfunction”: It was very weird. I was able to play the Ultra HD music through my (mostly...) S1 system components, but the music would jump across component/station to component/station. It worked if I did not play through more than 4 or so synchronized speakers/connections/amps at the same time. If I played through all 11 current speakers/connections/amps at the same time, then the music would “migrate” from speaker to speaker. After my Amazon Unlimited subscription finally got cancelled it all worked fine again (this happened twice: I cancelled, it worked, Amazon gave me 1 month free extension of Unlimited, it broke again, as of this morning Unlimited is canceled again, it works again).

That’s the summary… 

I really hope that Sonos finds a way to configure their (S1) service so it will by default disable HD streaming from Amazon (something I can do on my Amazon Music client, on my laptop...).

My understanding is the 24-bit Amazon Music service is only available on an S2 Household - I’m quite sure it’s not available in an S1 setup, in fact very little has changed in S1 since the move to S2.

I have an S1 setup here as mentioned with Play:1 and it’s still working fine with Amazon Music HD/UltraHD Unlimited, which is the primary music service I use, aswell as Deezer. So it’s all very odd.

I would be interested to know if the Velop mesh system was switched off and removed from the equation and perhaps just the router primary hub only was used with the Sonos devices, if the issue then goes away. I can’t recall the last audio. dropout I had with the players here and the Amazon service. It makes me wonder if the Velop system is playing a role in this, despite the coincidences seen so far when switching the type of subscription service. 

Any changes to what Amazon is sending to Sonos would be changed on the settings of your Amazon account, not from within Sonos, who doesn’t have access to that sort of data.