Starting a week ago, Amazon Music no longer works on my Sonos 1 system!!

• 30 October 2021
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

so this is interesting: I am currently subscribed to Amazon limitless; just googled if I can remove HD from it, and while it says you can on an amazon FAQ site, I don’t see that option.

So if I cancel Unlimited (which includes Amazon HD), can I still get Amazon stations on Sonos (which only lists “Amazon Music Service”!) as a regular Amazon Prime member? Is Sonos using Amazon Unlimited HD, or just Amazon Standard Music Service, by default...

That might be it….

If you are playing a lossless (HD) stream from Amazon Music then this might be a factor. It seems to have been for a few other users. Using Alexa or playing from the AM app doesn't use lossless. Hence my curiosity about those possibilities. 

You mentioned HD in your original post. Do you know if you have this? If so can you go back to playing a standard stream?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you Ken; before going down this route and reconfiguring my Linksys VELOP Mesh (which has been remarkably reliable for years….), let me ask once more: Why would this only affect Amazon music? That is really what I don’t get. Whatever the cause must relate and be consistent with this observation: Everything works fine, except Amazon Music via the Internet, when played on more than 5 stations/rooms…..

I only scanned quickly the reference you provided, and I don’t see how it would explain that observation (perhaps I missed something?)

As you are using a Linksys Velop mesh setup around the Home, you might perhaps find this post (linked below) helpful too, if you haven’t seen it already:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

John: First, thank you for your thoughtful feedback!! Really appreciate it.

I have the Amazon Music App on my Android phone, and my Windows 10 laptops. I will investigate if/how I can directly stream from there to Sonos. It has occurred to me to stream from one of those devices to one of the S1 nodes/rooms that has an external input, using Bluetooth (works fine the other way around, to support a portable outside speaker). 

Yes, one of the nodes/rooms is hardwired to the Router; actually to the main Node of a 3-node Linksys VELOP Mesh that is itself wired to a Cox modem. 

I do not have Alexa (sort of old-fashioned I suppose; not comfortable with microphones in my home and familiar with real-time listening technologies). 

But I will investigate the Amazon Music App route. 

What I just don’t get: Why does everything work except Amazon? Why did Amazon work fine until a few weeks ago? Why does this work well with up to 5 stations/rooms? From a functional perspective, it feels like the across-room-sync happens on the client side (on my devices), and that somehow the Amazon format is too rich to be processed/sync’ed in real time…. 

Hi. I can understand the frustration. The S1 system has been coping with bigger systems than yours for years so I don't think it's that. Although can you confirm you have at least one Sonos device wired to your router i.e.you are in SonosNet mode?

You can play Amazon Music on Sonos from the Amazon Music app. There have been recent posts on here where that has been stable while playing from the Sonos app hasn't been.  

Do you have Amazon Alexa installed on Sonos?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apologies for rant; you know…

Re the test: Not entirely sure what you intend me to try; for reference and what I have tried:

• I can play Amazon music to all nodes/rooms without problems from my local music server/computer; I can play from Pandora any station to all nodes/rooms without problems
  • I can play Amazon music -- any station -- to a single node/room without problems
  • But if I try to play the same music to all nodes/rooms, the music “travels” from station to station, as if I had an IP conflict -- but I don’t, since everything else is working.
  • I have 11 nodes/rooms (S1 system) in total; when I play Amazon music (any station) to one node/room, it works fine; I then toggle more nodes/rooms in one at a time; at about  7 nodes/rooms, the problems occurs: nodes/rooms randomly fade in and out; it seems (so far) that removing nodes/rooms back to 5 then fixes the problem again; to reiterate, everything works fine with Pandora; everything used to work fine with Amazon up until a few weeks ago. I have >100Mbps internet, and Amazon music on/through my laptops play just fine; also, my S1 software is up to date.

What can possibly be the root cause. It feels like the computing power of the S1 system cannot support the sync across many stations?

Ignoring the rant.....

As an experiment that will only take a few minutes, try playing from the Amazon Music app, if you have been using the Sonos app so far. Does the same issue occur?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Finally called support, who insisted I reboot everything from scratch, in the order Router->Sonos->other devices. I told support that the colliding-IP-addresses hypothesis cannot possibly hold true, because the problem ONLY happened with Amazon Music, not with Pandora and when streaming directly from my music server. Still, today I did this, and of course nothing is any different…

I really hate it when I spend 2 hours + so far to trouble shoot a problem with SONOS’s systems, and support gives me advice that is obviously and at face value nonsense (and when I pointed that out 3 times, the support person never answered my question or concern).

So basically, SONOS broken and they either don’t care or cannot fix it! Or both!

As a side note, the last time I tried this I received a strange error about “corrupted/unrecognized music encoding”. Probably something changed at Amazon, who doesn’t want their music to stream over other companys’ systems and hardware. Really sick to have thousands of dollars tied up in a big system, to then get cheated out of that investment by anonymous creeps who want to line their pocket with money, regardless of who they hurt how. Disgusting!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

PS: Again, Pandora works flawlessly, my internet speed is at >200Mbps, but when I tried to play some random Amazon Prime Music stations/playlists I get different stations  phasing in/out, but never all of them playing at once. The error log says:

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 8:00 AM Central Time
Unable to play 'Serenade To Spring' - network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer.

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 8:13 AM Central Time
Unable to play 'Song From A Secret Garden' - network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer.

Very weird; any ideas?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good advice; but one question: Would IP address conflicts not affect all music services, not only Amazon?

Please advise before I reboot everything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please look at my article: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346