Sonos wants me to update but it wont let me

• 14 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I am longtime Sonos user with S1 at primary home and S2 at vacation home. In last week or so at primary, S1 has been a problem.

I have 11 connect amps, 1 Sonos One, and one Play 3. I’ve lost most functionality on the 11amps ( lots of features on app are greyed out), and can’t use Play 3 or Sonos One. System wants me to update but then shows error 1101 or 1103. And, I don’t want to update anymore. Everything is wireless, router is Orbi with 2 Orbi satellites. I’ve tried connecting the Sonos one and play3 via Ethernet but same problem. Had two long sessions with Sonos support which didn’t solve anything. I have no interest in migrating from S1 to S2 at primary home.

Any ideas? Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @twander1

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I appreciate all your effort and the steps you have performed to resolve the issue. To help you check why you're experiencing update issues, I'll be requesting a diagnostic report submitted from your Sonos system. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to look into your system and find out the cause. We'll wait for your reply.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to assist you.

Userlevel 2

I have case ID # 02411806 and diagnostic report #652261140.

Thanks,

Tom

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @twander1

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking the report, I can see all your Connect Amps but missing the Sonos One and Play 3. However, all your devices are showing offline. 

The error 1101 can appear for a number of reasons and most commonly means that your Sonos products are having trouble reaching the Sonos update server to check for updates. I understand that you don't want to update your system. Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

If you're still getting the same error after the sequential reboot, it would still best to contact our phone support since we can only guide you on basic troubleshooting. You can inform the phone support what you have already performed so that you will no longer repeat the steps and proceed to more in-depth troubleshooting steps. We really appreciate all your effort, at this point our phone support can help you with your concern.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you. 

Userlevel 2

After multiple calls and hours on the phone and searching online, I figured it out myself. YEAH! I deleted the S2 app (not sure this mattered) and then in S1 Settings, System, Forget Current Sonos System. Closed and opened S1 app and app found Connect and things proceeded with updating and all went well. I reset two other Play 3s and S1 found them and added/registered them to my system/account. No thanks to anyone at Sonos. Not impressed with their skills or follow through. Still, I love Sonos for its products and sound.