Answered

Sonos Playlist Size Limits

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

It’s perhaps also helpful to mention here that the 65,000 track/slot limit, is nothing to do with the storage of the music files, it’s the amount of pointers/shortcuts to the music tracks - but some track-pointers with very long paths and metadata can sometimes reduce that 65,000 limit, as some may use more than one available ‘slot’ for the actual pointer.

The limit applies to a Sonos room queue aswell as the number of tracks that can be saved/indexed from the local music library (Thats about 135 days of music playback, if each of the tracks are just 3 minutes long and the library tracks played for 24 hours every single day).

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Buzz,

So just to summarize, do I have this right?

1. My Sonos equipment stays on all the time (except if there’s a power outage).  This is a good thing, as it reduces “cycles” which are best kept to a minimum.  This is also far more critical to amp life than the temperature issue.
  1. “Infant mortalities” are very real in the PC world which I know more about.  The longer a computer lasts, the longer it lasts.  That would explain why my playlist issue has always been there.  Either the batch was bad or the failures occurred early on.  I'm guessing Sonos will never tell us that.
  1. I already have a small fan in the cabinet space but realized on closer inspection that it’s no longer running.  I will have to get that repaired.  Still, when I leave both cabinet doors open, the rack temperature hovers at about 90⁰.  That still seems high.  I wonder what effect a small 4” or so fan will have on that temperature, especially over the long term and with the amp threshold at 104⁰.  Is it a problem to have the ambient temperature permanently that close to the limit?
  1. What kind of power surge/power dip protection do I need?  What do you have?

Did I get these right?

Thanks again!

WSC3

There will be some temperature cycling as the AMP’s go from Standby to Operate. You cannot eliminate all cycles. There is some temperature change related to the amplifier output while playing music. While it might save some power, a punishing style of use would be to power down a piece of equipment every time you leave the room. This would maximize the number and depth of the cycles. I tend to power up a unit at first use and power down at the end of the day. Power up is also very stressful event because there is a inrush of current for certain parts. It’s sort of a race to see which events will ultimately kill the unit. It’s time consuming, but a designer could prepare a document predicting failure rates related to temperature and power cycles. This is the routine for large production runs where the manufacturer wants to control warranty costs.

I’m conservative with respect to temperature 99° is not the end of the world, but I don’t like it. Depending on where you live and the season, 99° might be the best that you can expect. I’ve seen situations where there is no chance of generating airflow into and out of a closet, but a small fan made a big difference in equipment temperature because the fan circulated air over cooler walls.

Power quality varies by building and neighborhood. Some areas I would classify as “lightning alley” and industrial duty surge suppression is warranted on all important electronics. It’s possible to install surge suppression at the home’s power entrance. Vey old multistory buildings are a risk. New or recently updated buildings are relatively safe. I’m in an urban area with duplex homes and power is relatively stable. My computer is on a UPS and I have an industrial duty suppressor for peripherals. A few times a year there will be a momentary outage and the UPS saves a lot of grief. Other than the incidental protection afforded by cheap power strips, I’m not protecting my SONOS. At one point I was living in an unstable suburban area and we had a generator. Before the generator there was a major hurricane, water was rising in the basement and the power was out. Electric pumps don’t work well without power. I was able to bail enough water to manage the situation.

Testing surge suppressors requires specialized equipment. Typically, surge suppressors fail “open”, meaning that they have lost all effectiveness. A suppressor can deal with a certain number of “events”, fewer high energy events than lower energy events. And, the quality of suppression can gradually erode after a number of events. I see some very silly surge suppressors that have a fuse for the suppressor element. Essentially the equipment is protecting the surge “protection” element because a large event will blow the fuse, disconnecting the element, and the next event will damage the equipment.

By the way “ambient” is just that, the actual box surface will likely be a higher temperature, inside components higher yet. The actual components might be rated at 80°C and as long as the ambient is below the recommendation, the internal components will be within their safe operating range. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I think I’ve decided that I’m a victim of the 15 second load rule, a limitation that baffles me from a top-notch product like Sonos.  I'm loading into my PC app from a solid state drive, so I have no idea why it would even take that long, but nonetheless, any idea why so low a threshold for a timeout?  And are they planning a fix for this?

I have also discovered that I can create the entire playlist by adding two smaller playlists together and then saving it as a Queue in Sonos Playlists.  It’s sad that I need a workaround, but all 3,400 songs load in a couple of seconds, what I would have expected to load externally.

Also, there’s a small limit of Queues that can be saved as a Sonos Playlist, like 4.  I was sent an error message to delete one of the current Queues, but there’s no option to delete.  How do I remove the Queues that I don't want?  And why is this threshold of four so low??

Thanks again….

What did Sonos support say?

There are several issues that could potentially be an issue, it’s hard to tell from anecdotal evidence, there would be much more in the actual log files that Sonos has access to when you submit a diagnostic.

The process occurs on Sonos hardware, and not on your controller on the PC, so any network disruption might be an issue. This could be simple wifi interference , or duplicate IP address issues while the Sonos system is scanning the data wherever you have it loaded. 

Additionally, in some cases Sonos is intolerant of specific non standard characters in the song data, and will stop the process if it runs in to one of those characters. They continue to ‘fix’ this issue, but it seems to pop up somewhat frequently. I think the most recent issue is on the Beam Gen 2 while precessing the data, but I wouldn’t swear to that, either as the actual problem still existing, or whether it’s still an issue on one or more than one device. Again, Sonos support would likely be able to read the data in the diagnostics and give better feedback. 

I have zero insight into what Sonos has on their roadmap for ‘fixing’ or ‘upgrading’. They don’t release that sort of data to the unwashed masses until it goes live, and even then, they do an extremely poor job of telling us what has been fixed in their ‘release notes’, most often we get the incredibly lazy ‘bug fixes’ without any derails. 

Are you using playlists, or Favorites? If I recall, there’s a limit to number of Favorites, but not to actual playlists, although that could be a false memory, and am happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge. On my screen, there’s an ‘edit’ button on the top right where I can delete those made in error. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I'm waiting on a call-back from Sonos, but your points are good ones.  They gave me a case number and I'm waiting. 

What's puzzling me is that my system is all hardwired according to my Sonos system information. I’ve had the non-standard character issue and resolved those, so I know what you mean.  If they have a 15 second limit, then the process must be expected to move a lot faster than it does. 

I'm using playlists not favorites.  I will attempt to embed the display screen I get when I try to save a new Queue.  No delete button.  And a limit, apparently of 4 lists.  They’re all about 200kb each.

Thanks so much.

WSC

Hardwired doesn’t preclude a duplicate IP address, or other networking issues, but Sonos would, I hope, be able to see something in the data. 

The “edit” button isn’t on the save screen, it’s on the “select” screen. 

What device are you using as a controller?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

This is the only screen i can find related to Queues.  This screen is off the PC version of the Sonos app.  Ah, found the other place: it’s under Sonos Playlists.  Thanks!

Why am I limited to storing only 4 small sized files (playlists) here?  Is this another sign of a problem here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Airgetiam: I am hardware wired to all of the amps, speakers, etc. according to my System Info. (W=0)  
I have had my system analyzed by my local support company a few times and they found no network issues.  
(We are working on a new dropout issue with my system.  The playlist problem has been around since
installation.)

Ken: What is a "Time-out limit of 15 seconds?" How do I measure or assess this?

So if I look under "Music Library" on my (desktop) app and it lists "Imported playlists," are you
saying that the total of all of these playlists can't exceed 10,000?  I'm not sure what comprises
"Sonos stored playlists."  Anyway, all of my playlists in that list might get close to 10,000, but
it wouldn't exceed it by much.  Is this what you mean?  How do I determine what are in my "Sonos
stored playlists"? 

I only load playlist at a time, so I'm assuming that's the only Sonos stored one.  The others are just names in a list that can be selected and loaded, right?

It's hard to believe that the "shortcuts" on my system could reduce the limit this far.

Buzz:
I've actually had a song that contained  an invalid character and Sonos noted it and skipped past it.  I fixed all of them.  My songs all have the basic metadata common to mp3's.

I know how to submit a diagnostic to Sonos.  How do I follow up with them?

How do I determine my player RAM, and what is that exactly?  Is the RAM in the amps or speakers
or elsewhere?  You’d think that would be listed in the info about my system…..

Thanks guys.

RAM (Random Access Memory) is hard wired into each SONOS player. Users have no direct access to this and it is a finite resource. Early in the life of SONOS (2005) RAM was much more expensive. A copy of the library index and SONOS playlists is stored in each player. Storing a copy of the library index and playlists in each player is one reason why the SONOS system is so responsive and resilient. Yes, it would be possible to distribute sections of the index and playlists among the players, but what happens if one or more of the players is offline for some reason? A portion of the index would be missing. Another option would be to use a separate ‘box’ or computer storing these items to always be online. With the current scheme all of the SONOS controllers can be shut down after music play is started. If a computer was required during playback, music would stop while the computer is OFF, rebooting, or updating. While it would be possible to redesign the library index and expand the space available for storing playlists, this would not be possible for older players with less RAM.

Ken: What is a "Time-out limit of 15 seconds?" How do I measure or assess this?

It’s partly a side-issue to the playlist limitations being discussed. The ‘queue’ on a Sonos device (aswell as the local library) can hold up-to 65,000 tracks, but when loading that queue, there is also a 15 second timeout limit in place - so after 15 seconds the attempt to load tracks to a speaker will timeout, but if you look back at my earlier screenshot, I loaded my entire local library 25,746 tracks to a Sonos Move and that took no more than 4 seconds across a gigabit wired connection from the NAS box, with the Move connected to the faster 5Ghz WiFi band… some SonosNet connections are often slower operating on the 2.4Ghz band. I just mentioned it ‘briefly’ earlier, in case your issue was related to a time-out, rather than the playlist limitation of 10,000, tracks which is a limit for all the playlists/tracks you have saved to your ‘My Sonos’ tab in the App - I too have reached that limit (long ago) …and if I try to add more tracks, I usually receive a message ‘similar’ to the following from the App:

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks.  I’ve never seen that message.  All of the playlist just doesn’t load; in fact, you can see part of the last song to load at the very end.  It just terminates.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Well, that’s my point.  The queue list I stored went to the Sonos Playlists “location”, not the favorites.  And my limit seems to be four playlists.  I got the “out of space” error message when I tried to add a fifth to the Sonos Playlists via the queue screen I sent you, above.  I'm guessing this is not normal; there’s an issue with the system, right?

Yes, the younger tend to love their phones and do everything on them.  I have 32” PC monitor which is far easier to work from, especially for creating my playlists, etc.  I have the iOS client (iPhone 11) which I use to control my system and my TV, but creation here is a lot harder, at least for me.  It is surprising that the desktop and mobile don’t better mirror each other, but oh well.

Thanks again.

I also prefer the desktop controller. You should check Help → Error Log… . Sometimes there is something useful here.