Answered

Sonos Playlist Size Limits

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I looked under my Sonos app at “About My System” and all of the devices there are W:0 = products are in a wired setup.

How do I do that?  I think I was moved TO the SonosNet because it was faster, but i’m not sure….  Please say more!

What @buzz says - and also see this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

Assuming that you have entered the WiFi details into the SONOS system, you can easily flip between SonosNet and WiFi by simply eliminating any wired SONOS connections. While the changeover may require a minute or two, the system will manage all of the details. Note that ROAM and MOVE are always WiFi.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

How do I do that?  I think I was moved TO the SonosNet because it was faster, but i’m not sure….  Please say more!

I created my playlists elsewhere and import it.  Works great but it truncates at just under 3,000 songs. I have a SonosNet connection, and the way it was explained to me is that the songs are uploaded to the cloud and then downloaded to the amps or speakers, i can’t remember which. 

WiFi these days (and wired networks) are pretty quick, much quicker than a SonosNet connection in most cases, so perhaps if your WiFi supports your current system okay, then maybe try running your entire setup on the local WiFi instead and see if that improves things and allows your large playlists to work. 

If not, you can always revert back to the SonosNet connection.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I created my playlists elsewhere and import it.  Works great but it truncates at just under 3,000 songs. I have a SonosNet connection, and the way it was explained to me is that the songs are uploaded to the cloud and then downloaded to the amps or speakers, i can’t remember which. 

The largest playlist I appear to have here is 3652 tracks and when I just tried that, it loads okay.

The whole of my local library is 25,746 tracks - I am able to load the entire library too, but it won’t allow me to save it as a playlist (as expected) as I believe the track limit (for all Sonos playlists) is 10,000 songs, as mentioned earlier .. but obviously I can load all those library tracks to a queue (see screenshot).

The queue limit is around 65,000 tracks (give or take), but as stated earlier the loading of the queue is also limited by a 15s time-out. 

So that’s my experience with my system here running on a SonosNet connection. 

How many tracks are in your library? Are any of these tracks missing from the library index?

Possible duplicate IP address issue, knocking the Sonos off the network momentarily? Have you assigned reserved IP addresses in your router’s DHCP table?

The PC should not be hard wired to Sonos, it should be hard wired to your router, the same as then Sonos should. And the SSD. All three devices work off of the network created by the router, none of them should be directly connected to Sonos. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

… and it happens with all playlists.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The tracks are stored locally on an SSD.  The PC is hard wired into Sonos as well as I understand it….

It seems from your description that when trying to load the playlist it’s either encountering an issue (perhaps with metadata) or it’s timing out - but is this happening with one particular playlist and have you tried another of similar size.

Where are the tracks are stored on the PC and how is the PC  attached to the network?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I can tell you for a fact that i can’t load any more than 3,000 songs.  Sonos just terminates anything beyond that.  That’s no where close to 65,000.  My play lists are imported.

What do you suppose is going on?

I understand the following limits maybe the case, but this is just from things I’ve picked up in other posts in the community here…

Apparently there is no hard limit for the number of playlists that can be made, but the total number of all tracks in all ‘Sonos’ playlists supposedly may not exceed 10,000.

There are limits too on Imported Playlists, which are:

• The maximum size of the queue: 65k tracks
  • How quickly a playlist loads into the queue, which typically times out after 15 seconds