Sonos Error 1101 - can't update, incredibly frustrated, tried everything

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Long time Sonos user here and recently have been stuck on an 1101 update error that I can’t seem to get around. Have followed the instructions from Sonos, have rebooted all networking and Sonos devices, have tried updating from different iOS and PC controllers multiple times and over multiple days. Have turned off all IPS and firewalls and still no luck. Really quite frustrated. 

Any other suggestions? Everything plays fine, but there are some settings I would like to change that are grayed out (audio compression for example) and when I click on them it says an update is necessary, but it’s a vicious loop. 

Anybody, please?!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Unplug all but one device. Connect that one device to your router with an Ethernet cable. Try the update, using the iOS controller.

Let us know what happens.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Didn’t work. This is pretty ridiculous. 

Has to be something with my UniFi network, but it’s worked fine since December and I’ve updated at least once or twice since then. Nothing’s changed, it’s not on a VLAN and I don’t have anything fancy configured in the UniFi network controller. 

Lot of fun going around unplugging all of my Sonos gear. What a waste of time. 

If anybody else has any ideas, I’d really appreciate it. 

I’ve rebooted all network gear, including provider’s fiber appliance, unplugged all Sonos devices, plugged a Play 5 directly into the Dream Machine (router), rebooted a copule times and still no love.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

For what it’s worth, I’ve also tried uninstalling the iOS Sonos S1 controller on my iphone, signed out and signed back in and still no luck. 

I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Unifi is a complex system, and not one I’m terribly familiar with. I suspect even the scripts that some of those folks have is greater than my knowledge. Or, search these forums for “Unifi” and check what others have done. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

brucemac,

See if the following assists I’ve summarised and copied the suggestion from other threads here on the forum, but my own knowledge of unifi is somewhat limited, but hope the below helps…

Unifi setup with Sonos devices

Try making the below  adjustments on your Unifi system.

Switch Setup (not sure if relevant in your case?) :

1. As many other threads discuss, Unifi switches default to RTSP which is incompatible with Sonos. You need to set the switches to STP.
  2. In the Unifi dashboard go to Devices --> Select the Switch --> Config --> Services --> Spanning Tree --> Set to STP.
  3. For the root switch set the Priority to 4096.
  4. For secondary switched plugged into the root switch set Spanning Tree to STP and Priority to 8192.

Network Setup:

1. Settings --> Network --> IGMP Snooping: Set to "Enabled"

Wireless Setup:

1. Edit the wireless network you use:
  2. Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data: ENABLED
  3. Add the Sonos Devices that are HARDWIRED to the swtich to the Excepted Devices list!
  4. Enable Multicast Enhancement (IGMPv3)
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks fellas.

Ken, I’ve heard about the RTSP and STP issue, but have never had an issue, be it updating or with dropouts and I assumed because I wasn’t using any VLANs. This may be a dumb question, but does my UniFi Dream Machine count as the root switch, or would it be the first switch down the line connected to it? 

I have (4) Unifi USW-Lite-8-POE switches downstream from the UDM. The switch connected to the UDM has (3) of the same type uplinked to it. 

Lastly on #3 above in wireless networks, not sure exactly what you’re referring to, but will research where to do this in the controller. I don’t see anything titled Expected Devices.

Interestingly enough, the Sonos support rep I just spoke with told me to make sure that Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data was DISABLED. I didn’t have it enabled when he told me that, so I can give that a try easy enough.  

One of the staff here has posted these steps in the past (if that helps at all?) …

1. Log into the UniFi controller
  2. Click the Settings tab on the left sidebar
  3. Click Wireless Networks under the Settings page
  4. Change UI back to the old design if needed
  5. Click Edit next to the network SSID
  6. Verify Guest Policy and disable it if enabled.
  7. Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Verify and disable the options Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data and Auto-Optimize Network.
    • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
    • Expand Advanced Options.
    • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
    • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
    • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  9. Once completed, allow up to a minute for the AP to provision (apply the settings) and restore online connection, then proceed to test your Sonos system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No go with the LAN and WLAN settings above. I had everything as it should in the last post above with exception of the IGMP Snooping. Tired enabling that and still no joy. I will try the STP settings over the weekend and see if that fixes anything, but I don’t that’s the issue here as I can see, group and play everything fine. I just can’t update. 

Ken, did you see my question about the root switch above? Did that make sense? Does the router with it’s integrated switch get treated like the root switch, or is it the first switch downstream? 

Do the 3 switches that all uplink to the switch just under the router get the same costing number since they’re all 3 equal hops to the upstream switch? 

Ken, did you see my question about the root switch above? Did that make sense? Does the router with it’s integrated switch get treated like the root switch, or is it the first switch downstream? 

Do the 3 switches that all uplink to the switch just under the router get the same costing number since they’re all 3 equal hops to the upstream switch? 

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to this @brucemac as unifi is not a system I’m too familiar with, it’s just a summary of things I’ve read here from other posts … I did find this thread-link, but not sure if it answers your particular questions:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced%2Dsetups%2D229000/unifi%2Dset%2Dup%2Dwith%2Dall%2Dwireless%2Dsonos%2Ddevices%2D6856240

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No worries, really appreciate the replies. I’ll have to call back into support next week when I have some more time to troubleshoot with them on the phone. 

Badge +4

I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Unifi is a complex system, and not one I’m terribly familiar with. I suspect even the scripts that some of those folks have is greater than my knowledge. Or, search these forums for “Unifi” and check what others have done. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I’m in the same boat… was on with support twice yesterday  (Chat and Phone) and I’m no where, other than having changed a bunch of stuff that has always worked before.  Since the Error 1101 happens instantly on which ever Controller sfw (2 Windows,1  IOS) I use, it smells like a network issue.  And since there’s a work-at-home going on here, I can’t mess with the router from 9 to 5 ET.  Very frustrating after being a SONOS user (7 devices) for many many years.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

keep me posted, don’t have much time this weekend to mess with it, but maybe early Monday...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Spent about 90 minutes during lunch today on the phone with Sonos support again. They simply don’t know. Nice enough rep, but I ended up repeating a bunch of stuff I had already tried including all the reboots, unplugs, direct connect to router, etc. He even tried manually updating my speakers remotely, but no luck. Sent about 4 or 5 diagnostics after each step. Incredibly frustrating.

What’s also weird is that one of the functions grayed out in my desktop controller is ‘Forget Current Sonos System”, so I can’t even try that. Everything works fine, but as I stated in OP, there are settings I can’t access because Sonos wants to update. Another odd one is that I can’t Forget Current System within the iOS App. The option isn’t even listed within the app anymore. Uninstalled/reinstalled several times, but that doesn’t resolve the issue. Something is preventing Sonos from reaching the update server, at least that’s my hunch. 

Really hesitant to go down the STP path costing rabbit hole. I just don’t see how that could be impacting an update, when everything else is working as it’s supposed to. 

No VLANS, no auto-optimize, no auto-channel, checked dozens of threads on proper Unifi Sonos settings and am in compliance. Running a fairly basic flat network with UDM, 5x USW Lite-8’s and (3) Flex HD’s. 

I just don’t get it. I’d let it go if there weren’t settings that I need access to. 

A bit of a shot in the dark, but have you tried your setup/connection with a different DNS server to see if it’s perhaps the DNS server thats blocking the update?

Badge +4

My update issue was resolved when I reported to Beta admin site that  I was only for  an S2 network/app  &  that my system is S1.  Once I was removed from the Beta, the Update System worked fine (no errors, but no updates).

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks guys, I am actually currently subscribed to beta program and I do have non-ISP DNS. Not Google, but another one with incredibly low latency. 

Will try both those suggestions in the morning.

Appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks.

Will report back.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It is not DNS related. Updated to Google public DNS and no luck.

Will chase down if the beta program is potentially causing issue later today. 

To be clear, this forum is absolutely not for beta discussions. You should raise such queries in the appropriate area.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

To be clear, this forum is absolutely not for beta discussions. You should raise such queries in the appropriate area.

Yes, I get it, but it’s not Fight Club. FWIW, Support says it’s unrelated. Round 3 of phone support….

Yes, I get it, but it’s not Fight Club. 

You might want to check the NDA you signed up to. 

Earlier in the thread you mentiined about signing out of your "S1" Controller App🤔? So can we perhaps go back a step here, as I’m starting to think this may not be unifi Network related.

I assume from some of the things now talked about, that you perhaps have a ‘Split’ S1/S2 Sonos System on your network. Is that correct? 

If so, did you split off your S2 System from an original S1 system and keep them both on the same Household ID, effectively migrating all your settings over to the S2 App …and did you then keep some older devices in your original S1 Household without ever deleting that original system? If that is the case I’m just wondering if you are running your S1/S2 setup in ‘mixed’ mode and that’s where your issues perhaps lie here?

Also, if you do have an S1/S2 split system, even if they are on different HouseholdID’s, are they both using the same (email credentials)/Sonos account/profile?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks Ken.

Nah, only running S1 in this house currently. I have a handful of devices that are not S2 compatible and have not felt compelled to upgrade yet, but that was a good guess. 

Had my call this afternoon escalated and I think Cap was on to something above. I’ll know more in about 24-48 hours and am expecting an email back to confirm. 

Thanks for the assistance with troubleshooting. 

Thanks Ken.

Nah, only running S1 in this house currently. I have a handful of devices that are not S2 compatible and have not felt compelled to upgrade yet, but that was a good guess. 

Had my call this afternoon escalated and I think Cap was on to something above. I’ll know more in about 24-48 hours and am expecting an email back to confirm. 

Yep, I see what you are saying and just to add, I now see that as perhaps the best line to pursue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks Ken.

Yep, I see what you are saying and just to add, I now see that as perhaps the best line to pursue.

And confirmed. Thanks again.