Unifi set up with all wireless Sonos devices

• 27 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, I recently installed a system for a client.  The system consists of a Unifi USG, US16SW, and 4 Unifi NanoHD APs.  The sonos system consists of 1 Sonos ARC, 1 sonos move, 4 Sonos Ones.  All sonos equipment is wireless.  Customer and I were having issues with app acting glitchy.  Sound quality is fine with no hiccups but at times it doesnt connect to the system or the app just attempts to open and then doesnt.  It has been in use for a little over a week.  Yesterday, I made adjustments on the Unifi system.

1. Switch Setup:

2. As many other threads discuss, Unifi switches default to RTSP which is incompatible with Sonos. You need to set the switches to STP.
  3. In the Unifi dashboard go to Devices --> Select the Switch --> Config --> Services --> Spanning Tree --> Set to STP.
  4. For the root switch (48 port switch in my case) set the Priority to 4096.
  5. For secondary switched plugged into the root switch (the POE switch in my case) set Spanning Tree to STP and Priority to 8192.
  6. Network Setup:

7. Settings --> Network --> IGMP Snooping: Set to "Enabled"
  8. Wireless Setup:

9. Edit the wireless network you use:
  10. Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data: ENABLED
  11. Add the Sonos Devices (in my case the 3x Sonos:Connect and the Sonos Play:1) that are HARDWIRED to the swtich to the Excepted Devices list!
  12. Enable Multicast Enhancement (IGMPv3) (I honestly don't know if this setting makes a difference or not)

I am now going to allow a few days or so to go with the client using the system to see if anything changes.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge +17

Hey @cegenie, thanks for reaching out.

Those are definitely some good changes to make if the customer was experiencing some instability with that setup. If they continue to have issues connecting, I’d actually recommend disabling the “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data” option and also turning off “Auto-Optimize Network” from the “Sites” section. Also making sure that “Guest Policy” is unchecked in the Wireless Networks section is a good step to take.

Let us know how they get on.