Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos app cannot find system via PC/Ethernet.

• 8 December 2021
  • 4 replies

First off, thanks for any assistance.

I have 3 VLANs, one for each of my businesses in a strip. Business 1, 2, 3. I have a UAP in each unit, and attached to its respective VLAN. 

9/10 Sonos products are connected to unit 1s SSID, and all have an xxx.xxx.11.xxx IP address.

1/10 Sonos Products is connected to unit 3s SSID and have an xxx.xxx.34.xxx IP address.

Heres the kicker.

I can access and use the controller on mobile devices via wifi, regardless of which SSID I am connected to. Wether the mobile device is in the .11 domain or the .34 domain I can access and control ALL Sonos devices across the network.

Yet, an Ethernet connected PC regardless of what VLAN it’s attached to, cannot find the Sonos system.

Windows Firewall Disabled

OpnSense VM on HP Server.

UniFi Controller on Windows VM-HP Server

Each Unit has a managed switch all going upstream to OpnSense Router VM/HP Server

I was about to start messing with Igmp and mDNS within OpnSense but I find that questionably a waste of time since I can access across VLANs via wifi.

I am somewhat familiar with networking, but not so much the behind the scenes of Sonos. Is this a Boost mode thing/Sonos’ meshy deal thing?

Just feel I am overlooking something.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all,

Rich

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +17

Hi @GetRich,

Thanks for all of that information.

Just to check something simple that I haven’t seen in your post - could you check if Windows has designated your network as Public or Private?

On Windows 10 & 11 - Settings → Network & Internet → Ethernet → Select the network → Change to Private

If it’s already on Private, are you able to ping any of the players successfully? 

Do you have any third-party firewalls installed?

Are you able to submit a system diagnostic from the PC app? If so, please do that and reply with the number. Also, submit one from a mobile controller that can connect to the system and reply with that number too.

hi @GetRich if you wire connect any of your Sonos devices it will create a SonosNet which may improve the synchronisation between the Sonos speakers - however, it seems that your wifi connection is stable and it is an issue with your wired Windows workstation

Well, digitizer on my phone decided @James L. had the best answer. Bound to help someone! New to forum and not sure how to undo that.

@James L. it is indeed set to private. I’m checking on ping and will try and submit a diag report and report back with the number.

@James L. From this ethernet connected station in VLAN 2 I can ping every single device on vlan 1 and the other way around. Again, all networks are set to private and for the sake of diagnosing this I have disabled windows firewall on the machines I’m using.

When I try to submit diagnostics I receive an error that the report cannot be submitted. On another workstation I can’t even get to submitting the report as Sonos will not find the system to complete the installation.

I got access the system from a pc on VLAN 1. Still nothing on the PCs that need access on VLAN 2.

I submitted the diag from the working pc as that’s the only option I have.

Confirmation: 106179487