Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Amp EQ and sub settings not working

• 3 July 2024
  • 4 replies

The EQ (bass and treble) settings can be adjusted up to plus 10 and down to minus 10 and the sub setting can be adjusted up to max at plus 15 and all the way down to minimum and it makes no difference at all to the sound which is horribly flat. Turn off sub. Turn on sub. Turn on loudness. Turn off loudness. Doesn’t matter the source either be it NAS drive local library or Spotify or 5.1 video sources. I don’t know if this is related to an app update as I haven’t used it for a couple of weeks but I strongly suspect it is.

I’ve restarted the phone, tried a different controlling device. Same. I unplugged the Amp, the sub and the surrounds for 10 mins but on startup still had the same problem. I’m not sure what else I can try. Any suggestions?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The EQ (bass and treble) settings can be adjusted up to plus 10 and down to minus 10 and the sub setting can be adjusted up to max at plus 15 and all the way down to minimum and it makes no difference at all to the sound which is horribly flat. Turn off sub. Turn on sub. Turn on loudness. Turn off loudness. Doesn’t matter the source either be it NAS drive local library or Spotify or 5.1 video sources. I don’t know if this is related to an app update as I haven’t used it for a couple of weeks but I strongly suspect it is.

I’ve restarted the phone, tried a different controlling device. Same. I unplugged the Amp, the sub and the surrounds for 10 mins but on startup still had the same problem. I’m not sure what else I can try. Any suggestions?

Try unplugging your router and Sonos equipment for about 5 minutes.

Plug the router back in and allow it to fully boot.

Plug in the Amp and allow it to fully boot. Then the Sub and finally the surrounds to see if that helps.

If it does not, try resetting the app and connect to your system again.

If that does not work, try resetting your system and set it up again starting with the Amp

Userlevel 1
Badge

Before I had a chance to make further attempts to fix the problem a family member was watching tv on the system with the problem AMP and I noticed from the other end of the house it sounded like it had more bass than the completely flat sound it had been exhibiting. On checking I found the problem had resolved itself. Thanks for the suggestions. 

That certainly suggests some sort of wifi interference , or even potential duplicate IP address issues, causing your controller commands to not always reach the speakers. You may want to keep your ‘ears’ open for further issues. 

The Windows desktop app functions and you can control the EQ but the iOS version is a complete disaster. Don’t waste a single second uninstalling and reinstalling. it’s just as utterly useless as Patrick.  

In my book Patrick should be sent to harsh North Korea labor camp standing on a pedestal with 1 foot in the air for 23 hours a day while holding the app and speaker, left to rot until the app finally works. He’s more useless than lint or a bottle cap, something you just throw away. Even Biden is more competent than Patrick that pitiful excuse for a human being.