Question

Sonos 2 is slow on a Windows 10 PC

• 27 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hello

Been using a SONOS PLAY:1 for a couple of years now on Sonos 1. The controller on the PC worked fine. Decided to update to Sonos 2 as I am going to be putting a new speaker in the kitchen. So: I released the speaker within the Software, uninstalled Sonos 1, installed Sonos 2 then reconnected the speaker. Everything worked like a dream………….until……..the  Sonos 2 software runs like a dog on the PC. Moving around has a lag - a really annoying lag after using Sonos 1.

OK: The basics: - I work in IT so very familiar with all things IT and WiFI configuration. My house/office has a router SSID running and I have Ubiquiti Unifi running for  the business which has 1 WAP on it and it’s own SSID. PC is Windows 10 Pro with an SSD and Core i7 - so please don’t say it’s the computer - it simply isn’t. The only slow aspect is the freshly loaded Sonos 2.

So…...does the slow Sonos 2 point to WiFI channels? 

Before I go playing around I’d hopefully like a few ideas as to why the software is lagging.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi. I don’t know what is causing it.  But i have been using the S2 app and system for months, and it works fine with no lag.  It is to all intents and purposes identical to the S1 app anyway, 

If you believe there is something inherently ‘wrong’ with the S2 app that it causing it to run slowly, that is not the case.  As you work in IT I think you should start by using the standard procedure - turn everything off and on again (router, network devices, Sonos).

Edit: I agree it isn’t the speed of your computer that’s the problem - the app is just a remote control and makes negligible demands on your computer.  This is latency in the comms somewhere.