Sonance architectural

Badge

Just hooked up a Sonos Amp with a couple Sonance architectural ceiling speakers. Sounds like absolute garbage. I had an am/fm alarm clock back in the 80’s that sounded better. What gives?

26 replies

Userlevel 7

Be sure to run the “Detect Sonos Architectural” feature under the Amp’s settings in the Sonos app. Also perform Trueplay and adjust the EQ settings to your liking.

Badge

Be sure to run the “Detect Sonos Architectural” feature under the Amp’s settings in the Sonos app. Also perform Trueplay and adjust the EQ settings to your liking.

Did that. Still sounds like garbage.

As a test, swap red and black leads on one speaker.

Badge

As a test, swap red and black leads on one speaker.

Just tried. Sounds worse.

Userlevel 7

Where exactly did you install the speakers? How far apart are they?

Badge

Well, I haven’t mounted them in the ceiling yet. They’re just sitting on my kitchen counter, a couple feet apart. I did set them in the cardboard inserts and faced them towards me. Figured that would be a decent test since my attic isn’t really an “enclosure”.

Unless mounted in an enclosure or wall, bass will be missing.

Badge

...and I should say, the true play won’t complete the process. It keeps saying there’s other sounds but the house is completely quiet.

Userlevel 7

Well, I haven’t mounted them in the ceiling yet. They’re just sitting on my kitchen counter, a couple feet apart. I did set them in the cardboard inserts and faced them towards me. Figured that would be a decent test since my attic isn’t really an “enclosure”.

The speakers will sound much different after you install them.

The speakers may sound a little better if placed in their boxes, but this is not a proper enclosure.

Badge

The speakers will sound much different after you install them.

Boy I really hope so. Been comparing them to a couple of old Play 1’s and there’s no comparison.

This is the way that the physics of loudspeakers works. You could read up on loudspeaker enclosure design.

The PLAY:1 woofers have a proper enclosure in that little tower.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, but do you always test drive a car in the showroom?

Badge

This is the way that the physics of loudspeakers works. You could read up on loudspeaker enclosure design.

The PLAY:1 woofers have a proper enclosure in that little tower.

These won't have a box enclosure behind them. They’ll just be mounted in the ceiling drywall so figured I could give them a decent bench test. Are you saying that being mounted on the drywall alone will make a huge difference?

Badge

Sorry, but do you always test drive a car in the showroom?

Unfortunately I don’t have a road to drive on. House is being built right now and there’s no drywall. Lol.

The goal is to prevent the two pressure waves from canceling each other. A hole in the wall can accomplish this. I suggest that you read some speaker enclosure design articles.

Packing some insulation above the speakers as you mount them will improve performance. Use a plastic film barrier between the insulation and speakers in order to prevent insulation fibers from contacting the speaker cone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Trying them on the counter is as said iffy but if you cut an opening in a cardboard box, then stuff a blanket in behind them you will be closer to what they will sound like mounted.

A speaker basket will help the sound when mounted and reduce bleed-through to anything upstairs. Also gives you a better preview without cutting holes first.

First hit, many other options, likely better for you too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bogen-BG-RE84-Recessed-Ceiling-Enclosure/dp/B00FMH2GZS/ref=sr_1_3?

Badge

Trying them on the counter is as said iffy but if you cut an opening in a cardboard box, then stuff a blanket in behind them you will be closer to what they will sound like mounted.

A speaker basket will help the sound when mounted and reduce bleed-through to anything upstairs. Also gives you a better preview without cutting holes first.

First hit, many other options, likely better for you too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bogen-BG-RE84-Recessed-Ceiling-Enclosure/dp/B00FMH2GZS/ref=sr_1_3?

Thank you. The thing with these Sonos Sonance ceiling speakers is that they have drywall “ears” so they’re setup to mount directly to drywall. That tells me they should work well without an enclosure behind them. That’s why I was bench testing them. With that said, I have some Rockwool sound proofing batts that’ll I think I’ll staple into the rafters behind where I’ll put these. Hopefully that helps.

On the contrary, the speakers may  be designed to use both what is behind the drywall, as well as the resonance of the drywall to help fill out the sound. I’ve never seen drywall that doesn’t have something behind it, creating a ‘pocket’ and forcing the sound in a direction. 

Badge

On the contrary, the speakers may  be designed to use both what is behind the drywall, as well as the resonance of the drywall to help fill out the sound. I’ve never seen drywall that doesn’t have something behind it, creating a ‘pocket’ and forcing the sound in a direction. 

This house has a 5:12 pitch. Single story. Roof deck will be spray foamed so no blown in insulation above ceiling. So there’s a lot of space above the ceiling. Here’s a pic. You can kind of see the attic space I’ll be dealing with. 

Understood. I’m just agreeing with the others that these speakers will sound, I suspect, wildly different installed than when you ‘test’ them on a bench. Unfair, IMHO, to judge them before they’re installed. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

Below is a link to an article I posted. You may find it interesting.  Your installation may require a “speaker box enclosure” judging from the picture submitted. 🤔 FYI, your situation is the perfect time to engage a professional installer.

If the speaker requirement is that they sound good on your bench, buy finished, enclosed speakers that will test good on your bench, then figure out a way to place them in the ceiling. Note that this scheme will not support SONOS Trueplay.

Unless you can negotiate an exception to the laws of physics, a raw speaker driver playing on a counter will not have any significant bass.

Again I suggest that you read about speaker enclosure design. In the first few paragraphs the article will show why your test scheme is having issues with bass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With that open area I’d sure go with a speaker basket, first for better sound and second to reduce the sound leaking into other spaces that share the open area.

Badge

If the speaker requirement is that they sound good on your bench, buy finished, enclosed speakers that will test good on your bench, then figure out a way to place them in the ceiling. Note that this scheme will not support SONOS Trueplay.

Unless you can negotiate an exception to the laws of physics, a raw speaker driver playing on a counter will not have any significant bass.

Again I suggest that you read about speaker enclosure design. In the first few paragraphs the article will show why your test scheme is having issues with bass.

Do you have a link to this article?