Answered

Power cord doesn't fit in the speaker

• 6 February 2020
  • 31 replies

I just bought two Sonos One (Gen 2) speakers. The power cord doesn’t fit the speaker plug on either one. I am reluctant to push harder unless I know that this is expected. I’ve pushed quite hard; the plugs have become stuck without connecting, how much harder is normal?

Obviously, setup is halted.

Thakns

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 February 2020, 18:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I put a little silicone on the cord. I pushed hard. It still would not go.

I used a rubber mallet and gentle tapped the cord into place. All set now!

Thank you for your tip.

It looks like your cable has a thin, circular flange, which is designed to go flush into a circular recess on the body of the product. That’s a cable for the later Sonos products: Beam, Amp … and Sub gen 3.

A Sub gen 2 needs a cable like this: https://www.sonos.com/shop/power-cables-sub.html

You’d better go and sort it out with Curry’s.

We all have instances of that kind of thing. With me, probably more than average :)

Sounds like you were not shipped the right cord.  Can you post a picture to confirm?  Sonos monitors these threads and would be able to confirm as well as other customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You wait till you need to remove it!

Pull it back out, and check to see that there isn’t any extra flashing around the plug that might be getting in the way. Or in the receptacle, although I don’t recall any potential there. Wouldn’t hurt to look. In all honesty, I think in the last 5 years, I’ve never unplugged a PLAY:1 or a Sonos One. Once I’ve inserted that cable, it’s just in. Tightly, so it doesn’t slip out, but not as tightly as it looks like you are experiencing. 

But that is the correct cable. And it’s supposed to end up flush with the bottom of the speaker. Since you’re the second or third person to report this in the last six months, I wonder if there might be a manufacturing issue. If you want to, you might call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, to see if they’d send you a replacement cable. 

The rubber mallet worked and it is now flush and secure. I hope this helps some one else. 

Guy

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I learned to use a very light touch (not spray) of dry (just leaves a powder, not oily coating) silicone lubricant to ease the cord insertion process and if ever needed I sure hope the removal process too.

Just purchased 2 Sonos One SL and had the same problem with the L shaped power cord not fitting. After reading some replies, we placed the speaker on the floor on top of the cover it came in and pushed down, the plug went in all the way without much effort and now it’s flushed and the speaker sits balanced. Hope this helps!

Yes sorry I should have posted earlier,it seems that I simply didn't push the plug in hard enough. It just takes a bit of force

I would try pushing it harder.

The Sonos One does not have a power cord like pictured above. It is L shaped, so when it is seated fully, the Sonos One sits flat on the surface. There have been a handful of posts suggesting that getting it properly seated requires more force than expected, as John B suggests, but none, so far, that haven’t finally seated properly, or even any shipped with an incorrect cable, as the Subs above were. 

Thanks for that. Just bought it from Curry’s PC World today 

Sounds like perhaps the factory didn’t remove all the extra ‘flashing’ on the cable. Glad you got it seated. 

I think I’ve only removed the power cables from a speaker when swapping them out...I mounted some speakers on a wall, and didn’t want a full length cable. On most of my speakers, I’ve never removed the power cord, ever. If you need to do so, a pair of pliers would likely be helpful to get a grip, but I doubt you’ll need to ever do it. 

It seems to be the norm with sonos units. I thought that my beam was faulty because the power supply would disconnect from the sonos beam and was always a bit wobbly. I took it back to point of purchase and the guy just pushed it in HARDER than you would and like magic it no longer disconnects or is wobbly at all . I walked into JB HIFI 6 feet tall and left feeling about 2.4 feet .

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There’s really only the one L shaped cord that comes from us. It is a snug fit, so my advice would be to push harder. But if it’s really not going to work, you can contact our support team directly and they can probably send out new cords or replace the unit.

I have pushed really hard and yes it is L shaped. One person on here used a rubber mallet but I am afraid I will damage the connection  

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like it’s the right cord, L-shaped, same configuration-it’s just very tight. I’ll try again and if it still doesn’t fit I’ll contact the support team.

OK, thanks again. The cord fits, I just had to lean into it with some bodyweight.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tonsure.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Any other physical defect have you notice with your speaker?

We will surely forward this to our higher tier to further investigate.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Well, I’m glad this thread exists. Cuz I almost just returned my Sonos One, given the same issue with the cord not fitting properly. (I ended-up leaning my body weight onto the top of the speaker, and that finally got a snug connection. But it definitely felt like a flaw). According to my eyes, it’s not the flashing around the cord that’s causing any problems, but it seems like the male plugs inside the Sonos are actually slightly crooked / not straight. Really strange that Sonos would allow this kind of defect to pass through the Quality Control process.

Thanks . I think I will try a rubber mallet first before I call them. 

Guy/ Midland , TX

Glad it worked. Doesn’t seem right, but as I say, unlikely you’ll need to pull it out any time soon. 

Pull it back out, and check to see that there isn’t any extra flashing around the plug that might be getting in the way. Or in the receptacle, although I don’t recall any potential there. Wouldn’t hurt to look. In all honesty, I think in the last 5 years, I’ve never unplugged a PLAY:1 or a Sonos One. Once I’ve inserted that cable, it’s just in. Tightly, so it doesn’t slip out, but not as tightly as it looks like you are experiencing. 

But that is the correct cable. And it’s supposed to end up flush with the bottom of the speaker. Since you’re the second or third person to report this in the last six months, I wonder if there might be a manufacturing issue. If you want to, you might call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, to see if they’d send you a replacement cable. 

This is exactly the same issue I am having.

I just purchased 2 Sono One speakers and the power cords do not fit securely in the bottom of the unit. When I pick up the speaker, they fall out s bit. Also when they are plugged in, the speaker is lifted on one end by the cord.  Any help or suggestions?