Skip to main content
Answered

One speaker wont connect to SonosNet, it stays on WiFi…

• 11 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello,

ive recently moved property, bringing all of our Sonos stuff with us. In the old place, I had a dedicated SonosNet up and running as my Playbase was right next to the router, so it was easy to run an Ethernet cable directly, so then all devices showed up as WM:0 as expected.

In the new place, my router isn’t in the same room so I bought a Boost and hardwired it to the router.  Frustratingly, some devices were still showing as WM:1. I restarted them all, which fixed some… but I cannot get the Playbase to show as WM:0.

Am I just being pedantic and Sonos is intuitively selecting the strongest signal or is there something I am missing? It would be nice to get all devices on the SonosNet, reducing WiFi traffic on the router.

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

You can go into Settings, System, Network, Manage Networks and remove your WiFi details from Sonos

Badge +1

I am not that I can remove the wifi entirely because I have a Move?

Ah - good point. It might nevertheless be worth trying it, and rebooting the Playbase.  Once it has latched on to SonosNet it may stick, and then you could put WiFi credentials back in to allow your Move to connect.

I would factory reset just the Playbase and re-add it. There must be several other Sonos devices in the system which will retain all the system data. 

Badge +1

Thanks Ratty, I’ll give that a try.

I tried what you suggested John B - no avail! It was on WM:0 for about 5 minutes before switching back.

Badge +1

Update on this…. Didn’t get round to factory reset yesterday but for whatever reason it’s all now showing as WM:0 this morning… perhaps Sonos continuously scans for the best connection?

It should always choose SonosNet, unless the SonosNet signal is so weak that it has no alternative but to use WiFi. 

Badge +1

My thoughts too, which was why it was so frustrating I couldn’t get them to ‘sync up’, especially given the Boost is in the same room as the Playbase.  Either way, it’s still WM:0 so that’s a couple hours I’ll never get back!