Answered

My Alarm is playing Sonos Chime instead of Tunein Radio Station

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Badge

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The 16.45 alarm was a test with the agent. The alarms including the tests with the agent were always set on grouped rooms never individual. The agent changed the Group Coordinator from Bed 2 to Kitchen. The alarms are currently set on Kitchen as the group coordinator. It again failed yesterday morning and to stop the chime I had to turn off the Sonos power circuit switch (they are all linked on the same electrical circuit which only has Sonos Units). The app on my phone would not connect to cancel the chime. I sent a diagnostic 767689216 but this was after I restarted the units so not sure how informative it will be. Exactly the same thing happened again this morning. The alarm was set to play LBC from Sonos Radio (someone else had suggested changing to Sonos Radio from Tunein) at 5am on the kitchen plus grouped speakers. Again my phone would not connect to Sonos and neither would my wife’s phone. So I had to reboot all the speakers to cancel the chime. The grouped speakers were used the previous evening as we have classic FM playing on the grouped units for 2 hours on sleep timer each night. This situation is certainly getting worse now and we had many years of exactly the same stations waking us up at exactly the same time each morning without any problems. This recent problem of not being able to connect to turn off the chime is a further extension of the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GordonRoof 

Thanks for your post!

Going by your most recent diagnostics, there isn’t much to see that’s a concern - things look pretty clean. However, all rooms have an alarm set for 16:45 - no other alarms. I presume this diagnostic was taken at the end of troubleshooting with the agent? You should not set an alarm on each room - set only one and check Include grouped rooms. You would need to ensure the required rooms are grouped prior to the alarm going off (before you go to bed, for example).

The chime will sound for an alarm when, at that exact moment, the speaker with the alarm cannot receive the stream set to play. This could be for a few reasons, some of them you wouldn’t be able to do anything about - like a server problem. Therefore, success can never be guaranteed. Plus, it only takes the one speaker with the actual alarm set to have a problem, and all the others in the group will have the same problem.

So, my advice is for you to try setting the alarm on a different speaker - if it’s set on Kitchen now, please try setting it on Bedroom 2, check Include grouped rooms and ensure all required rooms are grouped to Bedroom 2 (select Bedroom 2 alone, then group other rooms to it).

If you usually have your alarms independently set on each room, that is likely the cause of the issue - normally, only the Group Coordinator (the room to which other rooms are grouped) would fetch the stream and it would then distribute it across the required rooms. If each room is set to do it independently, then you are asking for a separate stream to be fetched for each room and that’s likely to stretch your network/internet connection beyond the point at which things work reliably. The server could also be refusing to allow that many streams to a single public IP address.

If this doesn’t help, please wait for the issue to reoccur, then immediately submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number when convenient. Please provide details such as where the alarm is set. Thanks.