Mac refuses access, speakers dropping off, unable to play HD radio stations

• 24 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I own thousands of dollars of Sonos equipment and I have recommended, in the past, Sonos to everyone. For years my system was fabulous, the only thing I had to do when I first installed it 7(?) years ago was change the channel to get everything settled.  Since S2, it seems, my system has gone to hell in a hand basket.  Speakers drop off, I can’t play any HD stations (including the new Sonos Radio which is a useless subscription at this point. I tried Amazon HD and had the same problems as I had with Qbuz - I cancelled them since playing in HD is a terrible experience.) My Music Library went tits up in the last couple of days (songs say they aren’t encoded correctly and this is a music library I have had my Sonos connected to for years). I removed the music library and then tried to re-add it numerous times and I receive an error message that says my mac is refusing to allow Sonos to connect. I even went as far as to spend thousands more on getting a professional (same folks I bought all my Sonos equipment from) to install a new network (Eero) and now all my network is hardwired and I still get playing errors from Sonos.

Music stutters, speakers drop off, speakers become unconfigured - I am so disgusted I could spit.

When the network was replaced the installer, thank God, was the one who called you guys trying to fix the problem, which in the end it wasn’t fixed. The ticket number on that call is 02247177.  That time I had to go around and unplug every speaker, count to 10, and then plug them in one at a time, the network installer would add them to the group one at a time, yada, yada, yada, yada. At that time your tech told my tech that we shouldn’t use the “everywhere” button to add speakers but to add them one at a time. Why is there an everywhere button if we shouldn’t use it? Your tech even intimated that I may have to go around to unplug/plug to clear the buffers on speakers every now and then - are you kidding me????

Last night I sent a diagnositc #477343962 because I was losing speakers, “requested operation failed”, “Sonos Radio” was unable to play because network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer” (my routine Eero test shows over 700 pbs speeds), Recently played would not populate and the Sonos Playlist section doesn’t even show up. (The “select rooms to group” screenshot is showing that I am missing 4 speakers from that list.)

I just submitted another diagnostic #6344100400 because I can’t figure why Sonos now can’t access the Music Library it has accessed for years. I uninstalled and reinstalled the S2 app, shut down and restarted my Mac numerous times. I went to your website and looked at my system from there and I see that an old Dock is there which, of course, I had to remove before I went to S2 and there it is (it does not show up in my system list here). I went on the forum and submitted a request for you guys to remove that dock from my system from your end.

I will not and do not recommend Sonos to anyone anymore. I have read, read, read different questions and answers on the forum, searched the internet and I am not receiving any relief.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @leenin

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for your detailed post describing your concern.  We appreciate your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectation. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, an audio dropout was detected in your due to a sync error, an audio playback failure in your Sonos system, the Murphy, Living Room and Bathroom are showing as the dropped room. Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you. I understand that you have done this before, as per the error message you submitted in this thread, your Sonos system is experiencing insufficient network connection and the other diagnostic report was incomplete.

1. A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Check the status lights on your Sonos speakers, they should have solid white light an indicator that your Sonos is connected.
  2. Hardwire another speaker to your router (not to your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  3. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  4. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.
    • The auto channel must be set to Off
    • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
    • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
    • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
    • UPnP should be enabled
    • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
    • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

If you are listening to a different source, see our other audio troubleshooting articles for more help. If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  I recommend contacting our phone support to remotely access your device and perform some tests.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 2

Ok, I will do all this tomorrow. FYI - I changed the channel, last night to 11, and Sonos Radio appears to be working okay except that Pink Noise and Rain would not play. Christmas and Brown Noise have played just fine.

Any answer on my music library question?

thanks

Userlevel 2

Oh, and I have had “Office” hardwired to my router for months. Are you asking me to swap out speakers and try another? (“Office” sits in a shelf below my router)

thanks

It’s always worth the test, on the offhand chance there is an issue with the one hard wired speaker. If nothing changes, then it’s not that, and you can just swap the speakers back.