Answered

Lost delivery package - Not sure what to do

Badge

It’s my first time purchasing anything from Sonos and I thought it would be best to order directly from their website, but I failed to check what delivery courrier they use in Toronto, Canada. My package was set to arrive yesterday. However, upon email notification from Purolator that my package had been delivered to my door, I sent my roommate a text to retrieve it but nothing was there. I understand that this quarantine is a trying time on delivery drivers but the doorbell was not wrung nor was there a knock at the door (I live in a not-so-safe neighborhood in the city, so I have a feeling my package was stolen from my doorstep).

I think I need to file a claim with Purolator, but I also read on the Sonos website that I technically assume responsibility if a package was stolen/lost. If anyone has had previous experience with a Sonos package being stolen, what course of action do you typically take? and what should I do given my situation? I am  unable to just purchase another speaker given how much money the lost one cost, so this situation makes me never want to purchase directly from Sonos again unless they adequately address the courrier issue.

For context:

It’s the weekend so I can’t contact Sonos right now and get the info I need to file a claim with Purolator, I mostly had the urge to post on this forum for peace-of-mind.

icon

Best answer by nico-cm 29 April 2020, 20:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

In the UK, during the pandemic crisis, a courier places parcels on doorstep and rings bell… then they step back and take a photo of the person who opens door picking up the parcel and that photo is accepted as proof of delivery, rather than a signature. At least that’s been my experience in recent weeks.

If no one answers the door, there are often alternative delivery instructions, which the recipient posts on the couriers website, in advance, or via their App, saying things like... ’leave with neighbour at number 26” etc. and the neighbour is similarly photographed taking in the parcel. 

I have not encountered a case where a parcel is just left ‘abandoned’ on a doorstep, but perhaps things may operate differently in some countries  and there maybe certain adopted/accepted practice during the current crisis.

If a parcel is lost/stolen, then in addition to sonos seeking redress via the courier (as the agreement is between the courier and Sonos), the only other option open to you is to perhaps make a claim with the credit card company, if that type of payment-method was used to buy the goods.

I would certainly start by speaking to the courier first and seek their 'proof of delivery’ and then perhaps speak to Sonos.

Here is a 24/7 link for Sonos Customer Care...

https://support.sonos.com/s/

I would absolutely file the claim with Purolator, as quickly as possible.

In my area it depends on the exact location and, to some extent, on the delivery person. At my business location some of the delivery guys have given us their cellphone number. If we are hot for a package we can call and ask “where are you”, then drive by their truck and pick up the package. They recognize us on sight. If they pass us on the street, they’ll pass out the package. Other drivers will simply dump the package at a doorstep, not necessarily our doorstep, and drive on. Catching up with the package is like playing “Where’s Waldo”. The “step life” of a package on the doorstep is very short on a busy city street. At home it’s worse because I don’t have any relationships with the drivers. I regularly have packages dropped off that don’t even belong on my block. In one case my package had “signature required” on the manifest. The package was quietly dropped at the door step and signed for by “Chuck” -- I’m not a “Chuck”. I was home at the time, waiting for the package, and could have signed for the package if the driver had knocked on the door. He was more interested in a cellphone conversation than following protocol.

I agree with the others, follow up as soon as possible. I would think that Purolator has a 24/7 call center. If you have not yet called, call now.

Badge

In the UK, during the pandemic crisis, a courier places parcels on doorstep and rings bell… then they step back and take a photo of the person who opens door picking up the parcel and that photo is accepted as proof of delivery, rather than a signature. At least that’s been my experience in recent weeks.

If no one answers the door, there are often alternative delivery instructions, which the recipient posts on the couriers website, in advance, or via their App, saying things like... ’leave with neighbour at number 26” etc. and the neighbour is similarly photographed taking in the parcel. 

I have not encountered a case where a parcel is just left ‘abandoned’ on a doorstep, but perhaps things may operate differently in some countries  and there maybe certain adopted/accepted practice during the current crisis.

If a parcel is lost/stolen, then in addition to sonos seeking redress via the courier (as the agreement is between the courier and Sonos), the only other option open to you is to perhaps make a claim with the credit card company, if that type of payment-method was used to buy the goods.

I would certainly start by speaking to the courier first and seek their 'proof of delivery’ and then perhaps speak to Sonos.

Here is a 24/7 link for Sonos Customer Care...

https://support.sonos.com/s/

Most delivery drivers do ring the doorbell in my area or knock very loudly but it depends on the courier company. The day after my supposed Sonos package delivery, a postal worker from a different courier company took a picture of my amazon package as proof of delivery, and that package is now safely in my possession. As for Purolator, my tracking number simply says online that it has been delivered to my door and that no signature was required upon delivery and therefore not obtained, so there is, unfortunately, no proof at all that it was even left at my door. Just not sure why Sonos would allow for packages to be released without obtaining a signature, as this aspect is determined by the sender, and Purolator just does as told. I will definitely make use of the 24/7 customer care and if it is not resolved I will try to make a claim with my credit card company. Thank you for the suggestions :(

Badge

In my area it depends on the exact location and, to some extent, on the delivery person. At my business location some of the delivery guys have given us their cellphone number. If we are hot for a package we can call and ask “where are you”, then drive by their truck and pick up the package. They recognize us on sight. If they pass us on the street, they’ll pass out the package. Other drivers will simply dump the package at a doorstep, not necessarily our doorstep, and drive on. Catching up with the package is like playing “Where’s Waldo”. The “step life” of a package on the doorstep is very short on a busy city street. At home it’s worse because I don’t have any relationships with the drivers. I regularly have packages dropped off that don’t even belong on my block. In one case my package had “signature required” on the manifest. The package was quietly dropped at the door step and signed for by “Chuck” -- I’m not a “Chuck”. I was home at the time, waiting for the package, and could have signed for the package if the driver had knocked on the door. He was more interested in a cellphone conversation than following protocol.

I agree with the others, follow up as soon as possible. I would think that Purolator has a 24/7 call center. If you have not yet called, call now.

Thank you for the insight! I actually did call Purolator prior to me even posting on the forum, but I just spoke to a machine which was no help besides telling me what I had seen online, which was that it was delivered to my door. I will try again tomorrow and contact Sonos as well.

Amazon takes pictures of the delivery (sometimes?), I had a delivery with a picture that was not my front door. Unfortunately, there was no visible address on the picture, so I didn’t know which of my neighbors received and kept the package. Most delivery drivers just drop the package off, and don’t bother to either ring the bell, or knock. Rather frustrating, to be sure. Fortunately, I’ve only missed that one delivery. 

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

File against the carrier and ask for proof of delivery if they give you anything but a refund.

Amazon rarely rings the bell here.

After the first mis-delivery I switched to a rather unique doormat and have a picture of my entryway sitting on my computer for sending to Amazon so they can compare it to where the parcel was left. They have sent me a nice photo of other folks’ entryways with my package sitting there twice now. The second time was easier to resolve.

The Amazon images I have been sent are pitiful, low resolution and no data like the location is embedded so you can’t even go looking for the package using your GPS.

Badge

File against the carrier and ask for proof of delivery if they give you anything but a refund.

Amazon rarely rings the bell here.

After the first mis-delivery I switched to a rather unique doormat and have a picture of my entryway sitting on my computer for sending to Amazon so they can compare it to where the parcel was left. They have sent me a nice photo of other folks’ entryways with my package sitting there twice now. The second time was easier to resolve.

The Amazon images I have been sent are pitiful, low resolution and no data like the location is embedded so you can’t even go looking for the package using your GPS.

This is a good idea actually, I may have to do the same!

I’ve had packages delivered to the wrong address a few times, including the case of Amazon’s picture of my package on someone elses door.   I’ve had a few packages get lost/confused before as well where someone mistakenly said it was delivered when it was actually still at a distribution center in St. Louis.  The most annoying is when the deliverer marks the package as delivered in order to meet contractual obligations, and will just deliver it tomorrow instead for whatever reason.  I used to see this with the US post office all the time.

I don’t think it’s wrong to let Sonos or the shipping company know about the problem, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if the package magically shows up in the next day or two.  As far as theft, it’s a good idea to have a camera pointed at the doorway, even if it’s fake camera, to discourage theft.

but I also wouldn’t be surprised if the package magically shows up in the next day or two.  

In one case I was waiting for a package at home and was receiving periodic status reports … on the truck … out for delivery … in the neighborhood … almost here … no one home! At the time of “no one home” I was literally sitting on the front step and there was no truck in sight. I immediately called to complain and was stalled for a while, but there was not much that they could refute about “sitting on the step”. An hour or so later an annoyed person called and claimed that the package was loaded onto the wrong truck. Package was delivered the next day. The package was supposed to be 2nd day, but the failure was discovered near the end of the work day and evidently was not important enough to fix on the 2nd day.

Badge

Update: After calling both Sonos and Purolator, reviewing the drivers’ GPS info, and having to wait 24-48hrs for results, Sonos ended up being the most helpful of the two. As it turns out, there was no need to file a claim with Purolator, as Sonos went ahead and launched an inquiry as to the whereabouts of my package, and they are also in the process of sending me a new speaker. So all is well.

Thank you for the help everyone!

Nice to hear the outcome here @nico-cm . I have always found Sonos Customer Care extremely helpful too. 👍

I just a rough experience with my delivery. FedEx driver claimed to have delivered the package yet no one knocked on the door and nothing dropped off at the doorstep. I am so pissed off! I called FedEx and they insist the delivery was made, I am tired of arguing, I mean I just feel helpless after spending a fortune and waiting forever just to have FedEx show no concern at all. The way I see it, given the high value of Sonos products, I think its not too much to at least get a signature or maybe even take a picture of the person receiving the package. When an expensive package like that goes missing, you want to know exactly who took it. Expensive packages delivered without a signature, a picture or even a knock on the door is too easy and people like us pay the price for that!