Skip to main content

Hello everybody,

This is my last attempt to keep my Sonos hardware before throwing them into the nearest trash.

I have 2 Sonos Connect, each one is connected to an old amp (1968 for one, 1986 for the other one), and the amps to mechanical loudspeakers.

As I see the Sonos products evolving, my installation will not last so long. It is already the beginning of the end, with [as explained by the Sonos Support team] the removal of the local music library (please don’t answer that there is an issue with SMB1, this is not my case).

The local library is supposed to come back one day, but I cannot suffer to be at the mercy of the updates that are more and more disconnected with my needs. I mean… Not the needs that the Product Management pretends I have, but the needs that I do really have.

So I am wondering if there could be a way to make my Sonos system private. I would like to avoid any kind of software update, neither at the Sonos Connect level nor the application, and of course to avoid the application to stop working when there is no connection to the Internet for several days, as it did a few years ago (3+ months without the capability to lister any music using the Sonos app !)

Many thanks for your help :-)

Eric

Firstly, my understanding is the Music Library capabilities have returned so I puzzled that you say “the removal of the local music library”. 

Secondly, if you disable auto updates they can’t be pushed to you. That’s not quite the same as a private system, but it will lock your system to a specific firmware/software revision. 

Firstly, my understanding is the Music Library capabilities have returned so I puzzled that you say “the removal of the local music library”. 

Secondly, if you disable auto updates they can’t be pushed to you. That’s not quite the same as a private system, but it will lock your system to a specific firmware/software revision. 

Thanks, nik !

I am checking this feature everyday and it was still ko today, despite yesterday update. But I guess it should be available soon !

I will also check for the autouodate. I didn't find this option when I looked at the settings a few years ago.

And finally, there is an issue I foresee, when the app will be retired from the store... It should stop working by itself when it will not get any response anymore at a moment or another, just like it did when I had that big issue with my Internet provider.

Thanks again 👌🏻

Eric

If you were using a share on a PC, no update is going to fix it.  Youu need to share the library in Windows before Sonos can see it.  Follow these excellent instructions:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/adding%2Da%2Dwindows%2Dsmb%2Dshare%2Dstep%2Dby%2Dstep%2D6892060

Hi @jgatie, earlier today I deciphered the disconnect between Normal People who think Sophos is going to ‘fix’ music library sharing and You & Me who know better. Bear with me, I’m going to explain this step-by-step so others can follow along.

Six some odd years ago, Sonos implemented proprietary local music sharing (using http) in the Windows and Mac desktop clients. Credit where credit is due, they made this click-click simple and it required zero knowledge of file permissions, user accounts, or sharing protocol.

First Two Options = Sonos Local Library Sharing

Fast forward to May 2024: Sonos sends an email to some users advising that SMBv1 and http sharing will no longer be supported “in a few months.” Unfortunately, that email—and nearly all subsequent communication—failed to connect the dots for Normal People (who don’t know SMBv1 or http sharing from Adam) that this meant “the Sonos local music mechanism that we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients.” Even more unfortunately, a “few months” turned out to be “oh, 10 days” and SMBv1/http sharing vanished with the arrival of the v16.2 firmware in mid-May.

Thus began the “Sonos took away my local music” poop-hiting-fan barrage here on the forums, including but not limited to “Error 913.” Silicon Valley At Its Finest: rather than popping up, “Hi there, your Sonos system no longer supports the file sharing we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients, please click here for instructions on what to do now,” someone decided “Error 913” was all users needed to suss this out.

Here’s the thing that we “advanced users” missed: when Sonos said words to the effect of “local library music will be improved in mid-June,” what tons of Normal People heard was “Sonos is going to fix the local music built into the Windows and Mac desktop apps.” In a cruel failure, Sonos has never removed the local music wizard (first two choices in the screen shot above) from the desktop clients, leaving the APPEARANCE that it was temporarily broken rather than forever eliminated.

Hi @jgatie, earlier today I deciphered the disconnect between Normal People who think Sophos is going to ‘fix’ music library sharing and You & Me who know better. Bear with me, I’m going to explain this step-by-step so others can follow along.

Six some odd years ago, Sonos implemented proprietary local music sharing (using http) in the Windows and Mac desktop clients. Credit where credit is due, they made this click-click simple and it required zero knowledge of file permissions, user accounts, or sharing protocol.

Fast forward to May 2024: Sonos sends an email to some users advising that SMBv1 and http sharing will no longer be supported “in a few months.” Unfortunately, that email—and nearly all subsequent communication—failed to connect the dots for Normal People (who don’t know SMBv1 or http sharing from Adam) that this meant “the Sonos local music mechanism that we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients.” Even more unfortunately, a “few months” turned out to be “oh, 10 days” and SMBv1/http sharing vanished with the arrival of the v16.2 firmware in mid-May.

Thus began the “Sonos took away my local music” poop-hiting-fan barrage here on the forums, including but not limited to “Error 913.” Silicon Valley At Its Finest: rather than popping up, “Hi there, your Sonos system no longer supports the file sharing we built into the Windows and Mac desktop clients, please click here for instructions on what to do now,” someone decided “Error 913” was all users needed to suss this out.

Here’s the thing that we “advanced users” missed: when Sonos said words to the effect of “local library music will be improved in mid-June,” what tons of Normal People heard was “Sonos is going to fix the local music built into the Windows and Mac desktop apps.” In a cruel failure, Sonos has never removed the local music wizard (first two choices in the screen shot above) from the desktop clients, leaving the APPEARANCE that it was temporarily broken rather than forever eliminated.

Hello!

I read everywhere that there is an issue with the SMB1 protocol. But who read my complaint, where it is said that everything is in SMB2 for several years at home so I don't see how SMB1 it could be an explanation?

Also, who read the answer from the Sonos Support team I received?

When I read "normal user", it has the same taste than every answer from Sonos: nothing wrong with us, it's you.

By the way, you do not answer to the question I posted here. I just want to know how to divorce from the Sonos Product team and freeze my configuration for it to work for the next century.

But thank you for your attempt to help, indeed.

Éric

If you were using a share on a PC, no update is going to fix it.  Youu need to share the library in Windows before Sonos can see it.  Follow these excellent instructions:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/adding%2Da%2Dwindows%2Dsmb%2Dshare%2Dstep%2Dby%2Dstep%2D6892060

Hello,

No, sorry, I am using a Synology packet for Sonos. Under Linux.

The stuff used to work for years (well... From the moment the Sonos app found the room AND there was no Internet connection issue).

But thanks for your help.

Eric

Hi @jgatie, earlier today I deciphered the disconnect between Normal People who think Sophos is going to ‘fix’ music library sharing and You & Me who know better. Bear with me, I’m going to explain this step-by-step so others can follow along.

Hello,

As I wrote in my initial post, please forget the SMB1 cause.

And as I wrote somewhere else, the Sonos Support team themselves explained that the local library feature was delayed and will be released in a future version.

And yes, they wrote "delayed", not "removed". Just because they may think "normal users" will accept any excuse, even the worst one.

This is why I want to protect my Sonos system, to make it private and make sure it will still work tomorrow, the day after, and after…

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Your two Connect can be downgraded to S1, that way you might achieve what you’re trying to achieve. At this stage you need the old gold S2 App to start the downgrade process since Sonos does not provide that functionality in the latest S2 App release.

Sonos has indeed made a mess of the introduction of the new app, I agree. Not only with the app itself, but also by not informing their customers up front about the changes and the ways to use the system as they where used to (like pointing them to new TuneIn).

@edejaeger Access to local music should still possible though, be it temporarily without a search function. If this does not function at all on your system, something else must be wrong. If someone from Sonos e-mailed you the function would return, they must have meant something else or be in error.

You could try Plex if you can’t get it to work.

@press250 You also point out a communication failure. Since Sonos has not changed the PC and Mac apps, the menu you mention is still there. Sonos should indeed have pointed out the system needs a new way to connect the library. Having this coincide with the removal of SMBv1 (which was communicated through e-mail to some and within the app to others) is another failure. 

Your two Connect can be downgraded to S1, that way you might achieve what you’re trying to achieve. At this stage you need the old gold S2 App to start the downgrade process since Sonos does not provide that functionality in the latest S2 App release.

Thank you for this advice. I will try it ASAP !

Thanks again.

Sonos has indeed made a mess of the introduction of the new app, I agree. Not only with the app itself, but also by not informing their customers up front about the changes and the ways to use the system as they where used to (like pointing them to new TuneIn).

@edejaeger Access to local music should still possible though, be it temporarily without a search function. If this does not function at all on your system, something else must be wrong. If someone from Sonos e-mailed you the function would return, they must have meant something else or be in error.

You could try Plex if you can’t get it to work.

@press250 You also point out a communication failure. Since Sonos has not changed the PC and Mac apps, the menu you mention is still there. Sonos should indeed have pointed out the system needs a new way to connect the library. Having this coincide with the removal of SMBv1 (which was communicated through e-mail to some and within the app to others) is another failure. 

Thanks for your message !

I am also using Emby (and not Plex). Emby works very well, I was even able to cast some music to the Sonos Connect… But “was”. I don’t know if the Emby Sonos extension is deprecated or if this is part of a unique global issue. I also have opened a ticket to Emby to know about that.

My local library is empty, there is nothing in it. I have reinstalled the Sonos Windows application today - not reinstalled since I changed my laptop last year because I understood that Sonos wanted everything to be configured from the mobile app, but I see it is not the case).

So, in the Sonos Windows application, I tried to add a new library. The list was just empty. My music is hosted in a NAS, so I browsed to the shared folder to add it. It works until I have to enter the login / password, then I have an error (without any number) because it cannot connect. The authentication fails but it works from Emby and from another NAS.

I am performing additional tests to try to find the root cause…

Thanks again for your answer.

B.R.

So, in the Sonos Windows application, I tried to add a new library. The list was just empty. My music is hosted in a NAS, so I browsed to the shared folder to add it. It works until I have to enter the login / password, then I have an error (without any number) because it cannot connect. The authentication fails but it works from Emby and from another NAS.

Hi @edejaeger, using the Windows Desktop app is the right move! It is much more stable than the new mobile apps for the time being. Question for you: is your NAS configured to use SMBv2 and/or SMBv3? Sonos dropped support for SMBv1 last month, so that could be your issue.

SMBv1 still works using SONOS in S1 configuration, considering OP only has two SONOS Connect, they way to go in this case imho.

Hi @edejaeger, using the Windows Desktop app is the right move! It is much more stable than the new mobile apps for the time being. Question for you: is your NAS configured to use SMBv2 and/or SMBv3? Sonos dropped support for SMBv1 last month, so that could be your issue.

If you read the first post, it clearly says “please don’t answer that there is an issue with SMB1, this is not my case”. It’s reaffirmed in a later post when SMB1 issue is again suggested. Do you have any other (original) suggestions? 

Hi @edejaeger, using the Windows Desktop app is the right move! It is much more stable than the new mobile apps for the time being. Question for you: is your NAS configured to use SMBv2 and/or SMBv3? Sonos dropped support for SMBv1 last month, so that could be your issue.

Yessss, I am still in SMB2 😁

But thank you 🤗

Eric

If you read the first post, it clearly says “please don’t answer that there is an issue with SMB1, this is not my case”. It’s reaffirmed in a later post when SMB1 issue is again suggested. Do you have any other (original) suggestions? 

Ah ah! Thanks for following consciously my posts 😁

Eric

It’s a shame not enough folk read through the full thread. Too often, they “know” the solution and offer it up, even when it’s been suggested and rejected in those prior posts. Ahh well, such is life 😜

SMBv1 still works using SONOS in S1 configuration, considering OP only has two SONOS Connect, they way to go in this case imho.

SMB1 is definitely not the issue, but I took the decision to downgrade my Sonos systems in case of another issue linked to something else in the version.

I will try this next Friday and will tell the result in this feed.

B. R.

Éric