Answered

Downgrade Sonos Port from S2 to S1

Userlevel 1

I have just unwrapped a new Sonos Port and tried to downgrade it from S2 to S1 in order to incorporate it into my system which contains some devices which can’t be upgraded from S1.

I can’t see the downgrade option in the Sonos app and the Sonos website indicates that v80 of the app does not support downgrading. 

Are there any other options that I can take to downgrade the Port or should I send it back and get a refund?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 May 2024, 02:43

View original

60 replies

Badge +2

What happens if you factory reset the unit and have it be discovered by the S1 app?

It sees it but it says it can only be added by an S2 app.

Tried with Mac OS App by that can’t do anything, nor adding or downgrading.

Hmm. I have no experience of this because I have never moved beyond S1. Are you running S1 just now with other units or are you fully on S2? 

I wonder what would happen if you had a brand new Port and wanted to set it up on S1...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

What happens if you factory reset the unit and have it be discovered by the S1 app?

It sees it but it says it can only be added by an S2 app.

Tried with Mac OS App by that can’t do anything, nor adding or downgrading.

What version of the Sonos S2 app were you on before trying to go to S1?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

There was a release after 80.0 which I heard is:  80.00.08 which I believe included a firmware update to the hardware itself so if you are running anything above 80.0 you are most likely locked out of going to S1 until Sonos releases an update to let you do so. 

In the same situation, I tried to load an old version of the Sonos app on my Android phone through Apkmirror to downgrade from S2 to S1, but unfortunately, during the process, it checks the version and gets stuck on 'Update the App,' making it impossible to proceed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

In the same situation, I tried to load an old version of the Sonos app on my Android phone through Apkmirror to downgrade from S2 to S1, but unfortunately, during the process, it checks the version and gets stuck on 'Update the App,' making it impossible to proceed.

What version of the S2 app did you have installed? 

I did my S1 rollback on 5/7 the day they had released the new 80.0 of S2. I even installed the 80.0 version on my old LG G5 just to see if was as bad as everyone said it was. That is when I decided it was time to go back to something that has always worked flawlessly. But Sonos has since released updates to the 80.0 version and that is when I beleive the ability to rollback was lost.

Actual screenshot of S2 80.0

I have exactly the same problem. So sad!

Hey Sonos!!!! Solve that!!!! We spend so much money on that product:(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@SirDigitalKnight I think you downgraded to S1 just in the nick of time 😃

At the moment there is no way to downgrade to S1 anymore, at least not on Android. The v16.1 app asks to upgrade to the newest app version before allowing to downgrade a device. Even if you have disabled auto update for the specific app AND even for the complete Play Store.

From apkmirror, I tried with Sonos 16.1 - 03/12/24, Sonos 16.0 - 02/06/24 and Sonos 15.10 - 11/08/23.
All with the same result

At the moment there is no way to downgrade to S1 anymore, at least not on Android. The v16.1 app asks to upgrade to the newest app version before allowing to downgrade a device. Even if you have disabled auto update for the specific app AND even for the complete Play Store.

Unfortunately, I can't experiment much because I'm helping a friend with a restaurant to sort out this mess. Do you think it is possible, having a DNS server, to redirect the address where updates are checked in order to make the update check fail? For example, pointing 'update.sonos.com' to 127.0.0.1

It's about finding out which address the requests are made to and trying..

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

From apkmirror, I tried with Sonos 16.1 - 03/12/24, Sonos 16.0 - 02/06/24 and Sonos 15.10 - 11/08/23.
All with the same result

My bad Alex and everyone else…. my wording was poorly expresses… what I was trying to find out is if you or anyone else trying this had every upgraded on their phone to S2 version 80.0 or higher. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yeah it is very possible I just got lucky doing it on the same day they launched S2 80.0 😇

On 5/7 it never said anything about checking for a new version of the app. I am also in Colombia so not sure if that affected my luck. 

I wish I could be of more help but I fear if I roll one of my Connect units back to S2 and try it again I will be blocked and will have a paperweight instead of a perfectly functioning S1 Connect. 😥

I did read in the New App thread that they will be adding the S1 rollback feature into a future 80.##.# update though so with any luck they will keep their word on that. If I can find that post again I will put a link to it here and a quote. 

I have the same problem, a few weeks ago a sonos rep persuaded me to part exchange my connect amp for a port which I did

Now it is impossible to connect the port to my S1 system so it is useless  

They continue to advertise that the port and many other products are compatible with S1 when they clearly aren’t  

They have now turned the phones off in the UZk so you can’t even speak to them

Simon

I just stumbled into this problem.  I have an old S1 system with plenty of play5s throughout my house, and wanted to get a Move for outdoor use. I chose a Move 1st gen as it is listed as being S1 compatible.  It arrived today, and I spent forever trying to get it to downgrade, reading many threads, only to learn that apparently this feature has been removed in the current Sonos (S2) 80.xx app version and isn’t possible in the S1 app.  I couldn’t even get it to finish set up as a separate S2 system by itself, as it would immediately recognize the speaker, but then it would later in the setup process give an error stating it couldn’t connect with my mobile device despite it having found the speaker moments earlier.  I decided to give up on my iPhone and pulled out an old iPad air I have running iOS 15.8.2.  I went to download the Sonos (S2) app on it, and it told me due to the older iOS version, it would have to download an older version of the Sonos app. It downloaded Sonos 16.1.  When I opened it, immediately there was the box at the bottom for “other option” including downgrading a product to S1.  After following numerous onscreen prompts, it allowed me to downgrade my new Move to S1 today.  I was then able to quickly set it up with my legacy S1 system using my iPhone without a problem!   I’m realizing I lucked out having an old iPad to be able to complete this downgrade now by forcing an older Sonos software download from the app store.   So if you have an old iPhone or iPad accessible, try using that to downgrade and complete setup!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks for confirming that it is still possible to upgrade to S1! I figured it had to be still possible but didn't want to chance going back to S2 on my system just to test the theory out.

I’m realizing I lucked out having an old iPad to be able to complete this downgrade now by forcing an older Sonos software download from the app store.   So if you have an old iPhone or iPad accessible, try using that to downgrade and complete setup!

As someone that never moved to S2 I find it interesting to see Sonos users that did trying to find a way back to the peaceful Sonos backwaters of S1 and some succeeding as you have, although being a fellow S1 traveller!

I suggest that you now sanitise your iOS devices by deleting the S2 app from everyone of them, to make sure that you don’t exit S1 inadvertently.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Kumar, can you tell me how to block Sonos from sending me this at the top of my screen in S1?:

Yes, I’ve always only been able to use S1 because of all my old Play 5s and never have needed S2 but it seems like the Move 1st gen only ships with S2 compatibility and it needs to be downgraded to work with S1, but the S1 app can’t do the downgrade--only the S2 can do it. So I was stuck in a 5th circle of hell for a few hours.

The important thing is you went to hell but came back!

@SirDigitalKnight : You can’t, I get it too once in a while. But mine has an x in the right corner I think, I hit that and it disappears for some weeks. Minor matter.

I think it comes only to those who have S2 compatible kit, like I have play 1 units.

Userlevel 1

I just stumbled into this problem.  I have an old S1 system with plenty of play5s throughout my house, and wanted to get a Move for outdoor use. I chose a Move 1st gen as it is listed as being S1 compatible.  It arrived today, and I spent forever trying to get it to downgrade, reading many threads, only to learn that apparently this feature has been removed in the current Sonos (S2) 80.xx app version and isn’t possible in the S1 app.  I couldn’t even get it to finish set up as a separate S2 system by itself, as it would immediately recognize the speaker, but then it would later in the setup process give an error stating it couldn’t connect with my mobile device despite it having found the speaker moments earlier.  I decided to give up on my iPhone and pulled out an old iPad air I have running iOS 15.8.2.  I went to download the Sonos (S2) app on it, and it told me due to the older iOS version, it would have to download an older version of the Sonos app. It downloaded Sonos 16.1.  When I opened it, immediately there was the box at the bottom for “other option” including downgrading a product to S1.  After following numerous onscreen prompts, it allowed me to downgrade my new Move to S1 today.  I was then able to quickly set it up with my legacy S1 system using my iPhone without a problem!   I’m realizing I lucked out having an old iPad to be able to complete this downgrade now by forcing an older Sonos software download from the app store.   So if you have an old iPhone or iPad accessible, try using that to downgrade and complete setup!

Thank you for the glimmer of light Alan. I’ve found an old iPhone in a cupboard that has iOS 12 on it, but when I try to download the Sonos App it just spins for ages and doesn’t start a download unfortunately. I will keep trying. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I wonder if disabling my home router connection to the internet would cause the app update check to fail, and if so then maybe it would just skip the check and downgrade devices to S1?

I will try it tonight if others are unable to test/confirm sooner.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I wonder if disabling my home router connection to the internet would cause the app update check to fail, and if so then maybe it would just skip the check and downgrade devices to S1?

You can't. At least not on Android S2 16.1. When choosing downgrade you need to login to your account. The next step is to check for updates. If the check fails you get an error message. So the version check is mandatory :(

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the glimmer of light Alan. I’ve found an old iPhone in a cupboard that has iOS 12 on it, but when I try to download the Sonos App it just spins for ages and doesn’t start a download unfortunately. I will keep trying. 

Thank you so much Alan! I found an old iPhone and it’s worked a treat. 3 weeks of pain now sorted!

Thank you so much Alan! I found an old iPhone and it’s worked a treat. 3 weeks of pain now sorted!

How did you do this? - I just found an old IOS 15.8.2 - and the S2 now claims it won’t install on anything less than 16.0 ?

Userlevel 1

How did you do this? - I just found an old IOS 15.8.2 - and the S2 now claims it won’t install on anything less than 16.0 ?

It came up with an option to download an earlier version of the Sonos App. I hope they haven’t now taken this away 😢