Skip to main content
Question

digital out jack

• 16 July 2024
  • 8 replies

If I plug one end of a cable into the digital out jack and the other end into USB on my computer with Audacity recording software, will I get a digital signal that I can save on my computer?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Okay, I’ll bite: the “digital out jack” on what?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Okay, I’ll bite: the “digital out jack” on what?

Based on the OP’s profile they have an Era 100, so I am going to guess that they think the USB-C port on that device is a “digital out”. Which it is not.

I was talking about the digital out jack on the port.

The digital output on the Port is coax, not usb, so you’d need to have some sort of converter in between.  I took a quick look on Amazon and I see plenty of USB to coax adapters, but no coax to usb.  I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but it might be rather difficult to find.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Got it @SFmike, the digital out on your Sonos Port is coaxial S/PDIF and you would need a converter to connect that to your computer. Just a month ago I canvassed the world of SPDIF-USB converters: there are a handful that work in the opposite direction, USB to SPDIF output.

Here is one that works in the direction you would need, SPDIF input to USB …

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8D--motu-8d-usb-avb-interface-with-aes3-and-s-pdif

… and as you can see these converters are for audio engineers rather than consumers.

Thank you.  That’s very helpful .  I’ll check it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you.  That’s very helpful .  I’ll check it out.

Glad to assist @SFmike! As you look at converters, two things to keep in mind ...

1. You need S/PDIF input
  2. You need coaxial as opposed to optical (aka TOSLINK)

… I mention these as both are not the ‘default’ case.

Cubilux USB SPDIF Receiver / Cubilux USB SPDIF Input Adapter for PC [Stereo Recording ONLY, NOT for Playing Audio]  will give you digital in. Only available as an optical digital in so also need Tendak Coaxial to Optical SPDIF or similar, plus an optical cable.  Cheaper and more compact than a soundcard with coax in.