Skip to main content

Hello all

I’ve recently purchased a second hand connect amp (2nd gen) along with two new sonos ceiling speakers to add to my existing kitchen set up (2 x ones and a sub). It appears the connect amp has to be in its own separate room and grouped with the kitchen - a bit annoying as they tend to ungroup themselves but I can live with it (is this the same with the latest amp?). After a short time of listening to the grouped system the wifi tends to drop out and I have to reset the router. This wasnt happening before i added the connect amp and it also tends to happen when i first use the speakers in the morning, so im pretty sure the connect amp is the cause. Does anyone have an idea why this might be? Hardwiring the connect amp to the router may be possible, will that help?

Thanks in advance!

Which WiFi band/WiFi channel are you using to connect to the Amp. I suggest using the 2.4Ghz band and use a fixed (least used) non-overlapping channel, either 1, 6 or 11 …and if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only and see if that resolves the ‘dropout’ issue. 

Thanks for the response. I’ve changed the band from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz and set the channel width to 20Mhz, lets see what happens!

Doesn't appear to make any difference, do you have any other ideas? Would hard wiring the amp help?

Doesn't appear to make any difference, do you have any other ideas? Would hard wiring the amp help?

Yes, of course, wiring it to the router is an option. Did you try each one of the three non-overlapping channels? If yes and still no joy… do you perhaps have it close-by to other WiFi/Zigbee devices? If possible, try to keep the Amp a metre away from those to reduce interference.

Sonos is **, just sayin. You invest in their system and then they start failing. They want you to upgrade. Clever eh. Never again.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Odd statement, and one completely contradictory to my own experience. 

The fact that they released S1 so I could continue to use ‘older’ product, rather than requiring me to upgrade seems fairly telling. 

I also continued to use the older PLAYBARS for several months before I decided to take the plunge in the whole Atmos thing with the Sonos Arc. 

I’ve never had a Sonos product fail, although I have had Dell, Apple and other manufacturers products crap out on me. Given that each Sonos device essentially contains a small computer, I can see how they might fail, due to manufacturing issues, or power issues, etc, but from what I’ve seen in this forum, Sonos is pretty good about their policies on those kind of issues. It would be nice if you only needed to buy a device once, but that’s just not the way of ‘smart devices’ like Sonos. Having built in RAM and CPU does limit their life. 

Happy for ya Bruce.

As you understand, my experience is different.