Boost will not connect to new Asus RT AX-88U router

• 29 November 2021
  • 45 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to be clear: your Boost is cabled to your router and can only be seen by devices that are on the 2,4Ghz network?

There’s been more reports of routers not being able to fully connect between 5Ghz, 2,4Ghz and cabled parts of the same network. Recent incidents are BT in the UK and KPN in the Netherlands. Your problem sounds like is lies with Asus.

Badge

So in reality all the Sonos devices are connected to my router. The problem I am having is that to utilize the Sonos Move I have to have my Ipad connected to my 2.4 network. To utilize all my other Sonos products, I have to have my Ipad connected to the 5G network. I cannot connect my Ipad to all devices at once.

Badge

And BTW, Asus support just told me that the problem is with Sonos. 

And Sonos says the problem is with Asus. 

I guess, I will keep on battling and see where it gets me.

Badge

Yes sir. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are taking about this Sonos device, aren’t you?

Badge

Ratty

I don’t understand it either but will be contacting Asus to see if I can get further.

In Canada, the Sonos Move only operates on the 2.4 frequency. Restricted for whatever reason. 

To stream my music, I currently am using an Ipad or android cell phone. When I open the sonos app, and my Ipad is connected to the 2.4 network, all I can see for components is the Sonos Move. If I switch my Ipad to the 5G network, I can see the Sonos Boost, play bar, sub and sonos 1. For whatever reason, I cannot get all the components onto the same network. Sonos Support recommended that I contact Asus to see if additional parameters need to changed in my router so that all devices can be available on the 2.4 network. 

Hope that clairifies things slightly

Sorry, but not a lot of this makes sense. The Boost doesn’t run on any kind of WiFi. It’s either wired to the network or connects wirelessly over SonosNet. You can’t ‘force the Boost to run on the 2.4 [WiFi] network’, because it doesn’t use WiFi.

If a controller on one of the WiFi bands can’t see the Boost the fault is in the router. Some don’t correctly forward discovery multicasts/broadcasts between network segments. Having dual bands is not a ‘problem’ at all per se. 

I also don’t understand the comment about the Move not working on 5GHz in Canada.

Badge

So I just spent some time with Sonos Support and it appears my problem lies in the fact that the Asus router has a 2.4 and 5G network. The boost when connected has been running on the 5G network. The move is connected to the 2.4 network. In Canada, the move is only capable of running on the 2.4 network. I will be contacting Asus to see if I can force the boost to run on the 2.4 network which will then allow me to access all speakers. Otherwise, I have to switch networks on my controller to see the different speakers. 

There’s some things to perhaps try mentioned in this earlier thread…

With the One wired all the rest, except for the Move, should have moved over to SonosNet, and hence the router’s wired segment. Strange that they disappeared.

Is the Asus router the sole source of a WiFi signal, or do you also have mesh units or extenders?  

Badge

Thanks Ratty

My units are showing on WM:1

BTW, I have a playbar, sub, sonos1 and a sonos move

When I tried connect the sonos one with an ethernet cable, all units disappeared and my app indicated that there was no connection. When I removed the ethernet cable, the playbar and sub returned. 

One last note, on my router, I have disabled the 5G network.

Go to Settings/System/About. Are all the units showing WM:1 or WM:2? If so they're all on the WiFi. 

Temporarily wire a speaker. Wait a few minutes. Check that About now shows all as WM:0. 

Wire the Boost as well. If it doesn't show up, factory reset it and add it again. 

You can then unwire the speaker. 

Assuming you have no Move or Roam, delete the WiFi credentials from the system. 

Badge

So I tried reverting back to my old router. The Sonos boost will not be recognized there now.

it worked perfectly fine prior to the upgrade.

Badge

The boost was operating fine with my old router. When I replaced the router, I connected the boost using the Ethernet cable to the new router. All the wifi speakers restored after configuring the new router. The boost simply did not come back on line. I am reading that there may be some compatibility issues

If not done already, may find it best to setup the Boost uncabled initially, then cable it afterwards… see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/417

Badge

QOS is off as well

See this thread too.. 

Also … Did you first add the Boost (whilst unwired) to the existing system, via ‘Add Product’ in the Sonos App “Settings/System” and then wire it afterwards?

Badge

The boost is connected directly to the router via Ethernet cable. The Sonos app does not see it.

Badge

Airtime fairness is disabled

If you have ‘Airtime Fairness’ and/or ‘QOS’ enabled in the Asus router settings, see if switching off those features resolves the issue for you.