Answered

Bad Sonos connection, what to do?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you Ratty.

Sonos AMP, Sub, Connect GEN2 are wired to the primary mesh via 2 switches; one just beside the main Deco, which wires all the other Decos and the 2nd switch beside the Sonos AMP (where the other Sonos and my TEAC NT-505 streamer are wired). 

The One SLs are (now) wired to a 2nd Deco via another switch.

The Playbar is wired to another 2nd Deco via another switch in the same room as Playbar.

The Symfonisks (L+R) upstairs are connected to the Sonos Boost via Sonosnet wifi, which is wired to another 2nd Deco (same room as the Boost and Symfonisks).

Just an information: since longtime (2 years?) the 2x Play 3s (as surrounds) were working without any problem, and One SLs, which replaced the Play 3s, worked without any problem ca. 5-6 weeks...

Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp? Note, from a ‘bonded surround connection’ perspective, your Deco WiFi is not relevant, other than it’s signal might be interfering, but the Deco WiFi plays no role in a bonded setup. The main HT player (Amp) needs to communicate directly with its surrounds over an Ad-hoc wireless connection between the players. So, if practicable, maybe try to see what happens if you bring your speakers closer to the Amp, post reboot …and definitely toggle its WiFi adapter and check it is working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try taking the Amp out of the closet and see if it’s blocking the 5Ghz wifi signal. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I took out the AMP from the closet (it is really near to the One SLs (6 m ?). I unplugged the AMP, and replugged (I do not know what you mean by “Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp?”). 

Sonos AMP and the Sub are connected via ethernet cables to my router. Should I unplug their ethernet connection and leave with WiFi only?

When I unplug One SLs’ ethernet cables then in the App, my Sonos Amp becomes immediately “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)” instead of “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”… Which means that One SLs disappear… When I replug the ethernet cables to the One SLs, it works again correctly...

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Or maybe, I can reset all my system from Sonos Net to WiFi? What do you think?

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I took out the AMP from the closet (it is really near to the One SLs (6 m ?). I unplugged the AMP, and replugged (I do not know what you mean by “Have you tried a reboot of the Amp and checked that it’s WiFi adapter is ‘ON’ - also what happens if you bring the speakers closer to the Amp?”). 

See if this link assists you in relation to checking/enabling a Sonos products WiFi adapter… 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3684

See if it’s enabled for the Amp.

What happens too when you uncable the Sub?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello, the WiFi was active (in fact, it is active in all products visible on the App...).

I will try tomorrow morning to uncable the Sub.

When I unplug One SLs’ ethernet cables then in the App, my Sonos Amp becomes immediately “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)” instead of “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”… Which means that One SLs disappear… When I replug the ethernet cables to the One SLs, it works again correctly...

1. Did you give the OneSLs a chance to reconnect wirelessly (at least 1 minute)?
  2. You didn’t, by any chance, disable “WiFi” on the OneSLs while they were wired? 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Good morning Ratty (as I live in Switzerland, it is morning for me as well).

1. I waited at least half an hour when I disconnected the One SLs.
  2. In my AMP room “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)”, AMP, Sub, One SL L, and One SL R are all on “WiFi activated”.

If you go into Settings,  

System, Network, are your network's details (SSID, pw) in there? If so please remove them.

If that doesn't help, can you experimentally turn off the 5GHz band on your WiFi?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello John B.

As you suggested, I erased the local network details in System, Network (I had my previous house and this one’s names).

Then, in the Support section, I tried to find the missing units. The system found the 2x One SLs. Asked me if they were cabled or not via ethernet (I uncabled them before); I said no. Then the App asked me to unplug and replug the router and wait until it is functional, which I did. Then, the App succeeded to correct the system “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+HG+HD)” but a couple of minutes later it became again “Salon Sonos Amp (+Sub+?+?)”. I, then, repeated the same procedure. Again, it worked but couple of minutes later lost the One SLs…

Now, I plugged again the switch and the ethernet cables to the One SLs, and the system works correctly.

Bizarre, no?

Bizarre, no?

It sounds to me like the WiFi adapter in the Amp is ‘perhaps’ not working/connecting to the SL’s. I would suggest submitting a Sonos diagnostic report and then contact/chat to Sonos Support and see what they can establish from the report. They may suggest a factory reset to see if that sorts it, but see what they say.