Asus ZenWiFi AX rotuer QoS feature doesn't work with Sonos

• 27 January 2021
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I have the same issue with the Asus ZenWiFi XT8 AiMesh Airtime Fairness is disabled on all channels 2.4GHz, 5-1GHz, and 5-2GHz. The problem persists. 

Thanks @Whatswong, have anyone else (having had previous challenges w Asus XT8 firmware updates resulting in Sonos complications) now upgraded to the latest FW-release 3.0.0.4.386.42095 and seen the previous Sonos-problems being solved?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @darrylyoung, thanks for your response. @maxgro, thanks for reaching out, let me help figure this out.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Userlevel 2

@Annazel S, I already had Airtime Fairness disabled. And I am sadly reporting that disabling QoS also did not fully fix my problems. My speakers keep on disconnecting.

Here is a workaround that I applied today, which has worked so far throughout the day. I have connected one of my Sonos speakers (Play5 in my case) through ethernet cable to my modem. And the rest of the speakers have stayed connected so far. If this stops working, will report it here again.

FWIIW, I think the problem started happening when my routers received the firmware update ver 3.0.0.4.386_26044. Not sure if that’s the case for others too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Many other threads indicate ASUS routers need to run older firmware to be fully compatible with Sonos. I would recommend people switch to a reliable router supplier, I personally recommend AmpliFi.

Hi, 

Echoing the above post, I was completely dead ( QoS and Airtime Fairness off) until connecting one speaker via Ethernet, then bringing the others back online one at a time and they are now communicating via “SonosNet” wireless and show up as hardwired devices from the routers perspective. 

Not completely ideal but it works for now!

Problem solved, downgrade the latest firmware on the Asis XT8, it’s a mess, not only Sonos stopped working but basically everything on the 2.4GHz band that isn’t a phone or computer. My whole smart home fell apart after the Firmware upgrade. I downgraded the firmware of the router and everything worked again.

Here is the exact description of the issue

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/xt8-fw-3-0-0-4-386-26044-breaks-sonos.69574/

Problem Solved: I am glad to announce that all my Sonos speakers are now working fine with Asus Zen WiFi XT8 router. Here is what I did.

Asus released a new firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41793, but against all my hopes that did not fix it either. I then did a Factory Reset on the router. Set my WiFi’s name and password the same as before. And all my devices including all my Sonos speakers are connecting fine and playing music fine with WiFi.

I no longer need to connect one of the speakers through Ethernet cable to make the rest connect through SononNet network as the workaround.

Hope this solves the problem for all of you guys.

PS. I thought about doing a factory reset because my secondary node kept on disconnecting and flashing green light after the firmware version 41793. Factory reset solved that problem too.

Just remember that a factory reset wouldn’t help if you’ve already updated your router (it has already written over your “out of the box” firmware). What you need to do is to downgrade to an older version of the firmware. For example, it seems that version 25790 is the last working one without any troubles for Sonos speakers. Find all the Asus firmwares here: 

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/ZenWiFi-WiFi-Systems/ASUS-ZenWiFi-AX-XT8-/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hi,

I think I’d like to chance the upgrade to 41793 based on @Naveed.Ahmad & @sean-a-thon success.

I’ve taken a look at the factory reset instructions in the link, but there does not appear to be any advice on FR 2 nodes.

What method did you use?  e.g do satellite node first on a XT8 etc 

Thanks