Answered

amp will not go past volume 70. cuts out after that

• 23 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello

i have an amp connected to 4 sets of in ceiling speakers that was working great and now suddenly when I put the volume past 70ish the sounds cuts out. When I unplug the right banana clips I can go up to 100 volume.  I understand this to be a safety feature so the amp doesn’t break beyond repair but I can’t fathom what has happened to the right cables to cause this issue. We had some construction work done and new lights installed but I don’t see how it could be related.

Does the community have any ideas what the issue is in the connections/cables to cause this?

thanks in advance for the help

icon

Best answer by Ludit1 24 March 2024, 15:50

View original

4 replies

Thanks all. Turns out some of the wires in the walls that connect to the volume dials/switch on the wall had come out so had to rewire those and I am back to all the speakers working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All too easy for a contractor pulling lighting power runs to snag a speaker run. Made even more likely as far too few speaker runs are properly run, anchored or connected.

Mice or squirrels?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sounds like wire damage or a disrupted connection to one of the speakers.

Best bet is to grab a multi-meter, set it to Ohms and start comparing the left and right wiring.