Answered

5G home broadband and Sonos connection issue

• 10 February 2021
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Badge

I went through exactly the same situation with three’s 5G service in London. We got it as it  our wired internet was so incredibly poor and I thought it would solve all our internet problems...

After a week of trying to solve the problem of why my Sonos wouldn’t connect (going through everything described in the posts above) I eventually spoke to someone at Sonos who explained that Sonos only properly works with a ‘wired’ internet connection… ie... it won’t work with wireless 5G internet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I eventually set up a secondary wired internet connection specifically for my Sonos... which was expensive and annoying, using the 5G exclusively for video... and then... finally... moved house! 

Hopefully a solution has been developed since I went through this last summer. Fingers crossed they have as it’s so frustrating... I’m annoyed for you!!

Ahhhhh, this is what I am fearful of. My only hope was that Sonos would recognise that this is a problem they need to get ahold of fast as I can see a lot of people with 5G home broadband soon.

I can see why too - my ‘200Gb’ cable with Virgin gave me on average around 100Gb most days. My Three 5G home broadband is somewhere around 250Gb easily.

Badge

Another idea. Change the 2.4GHz SSID and password to those from your previous router.  Make sure your phone is connected to that SSID.

Thanks John, I’m going to give this a go if it doesn’t work after I’ve spoken to support this afternoon. Will keep you posted. :thumbsup:

It is true that Sonos does not support wireless internet connection but that doesn’t mean it won’t work and I have done it myself. I simply don’t believe that was really the cause of the problems experienced by @STARNES and there is no logical basis for it being so.