Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the explication. 

There is no setting for Wireless sources; that is why it is necessary to select the Line In level so that the same volume control setting on Sonos gives, as far as possible, the same sound levels when the source changes between Line In and Wireless.

By “both places” I meant the two rooms in the house where I use Line In as a source.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kumar 

”I have set mine at 10 in both places I use Line In to have sound levels maintained at about the same volume level setting regardless of which source is in use - Line in or Wireless.”

I don’t understand the set to 10 for Wireless. I did not found anywhere in the the settings an option for Wireless level. In fact just for Play 5 and for LineIn. 

Can you specify the location of this setting? Thanks. 

@Bruno92  I have set mine at 10 in both places I use Line In to have sound levels maintained at about the same volume level setting regardless of which source is in use - Line in or Wireless.

If that isn't a requirement, and you now get adequate sound levels without running the 5 units at full volume, it might be a good idea to back off the setting down to 7 or 8. The only risk in running 10 is input signal clipping if the signal voltage is too high for sensitivity of the Line In at 10, which can cause music to subtly distort. I haven't read or heard anywhere that there is also any associated risk of damage to the 5 unit though.

FYI, there is no risk in running the 5 units at close to max volume levels, if that is what you need to do with the Line In levels backed off a little as suggested.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Kumar Thank you for your prompt response.

I was starting to get into conversion table Vms to V to try to get the right data. 😊

This sentence scared me a little bit “The Line-In Source Level is extremely important,” Because I thought there was a technical risk  

Finally I set it up to 10. Thanks again. 

Don’t worry about voltages, just set the line in level to what it needs to be to get adequate sound levels from the play 5. Even if it means setting it to 10.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. 

I am kind of lost and I.cannot figure out which level I should use. 

i have a Technics SL-1200 MKII

https://www.technics.com/global/sl1200/heritage/#product3

which is connected to a Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-usb-v/

which is connected to a Play 5 through the 3.5 line in. 

In the technical specification of my preamp I don’t see any output voltage that fits Sonos level recommendation. 

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help. 
Bruno

The only other option I can find is something under hardware called “touch controls.” Sounds like that Should be it, but it doesn’t do anything :(

Yes, you will need those touch controls enabled for the Connect.. and as you adjust the buttons on the device you should see the 'variable' audio volume change within the 'now playing' screen, when the line-in audio source is selected in the ‘Browse Tab’ and you have chosen the playing Sonos room from the ‘Rooms Tab’ in the Sonos App.

The only other option I can find is something under hardware called “touch controls.” Sounds like that Should be it, but it doesn’t do anything :(

Much after I bought mine, Sonos introduced a feature that I therefore don't know the exact whereabouts of, that makes the unit buttons inoperative. It is somewhere in the app, in settings. Check this isn't the reason.

Variable/Fixed operates on wireless levels as well, to the best of my memory!

Thanks for the reply. “Line out level” is set to variable, if that’s what you mean. But isn’t that only controlling the RCA out?

The plus minus buttons work to change the volume levels if the Connect is set to variable as opposed to fixed in its settings.

Loving the connect and my new TT. One question - buttons on the front of the connect don’t do anything regardless of the setting in the Sonos app. Should the physical volume buttons on the connect change the loudness? I’d love to have that, as the connect is right next to my TT and would give me an easy physical loudness control.

My set up is TT with preamp to Sonos connect via RCA then wireless to a pair of Sonos ones, gen 2. 

I bought it from amazon warehouse so it’s possible it could be defective, or I’m missing something. Thanks for any help.

If the tip suggested by Ken also does not serve, then compressed mode is probably the solution. And no one has established that any difference in quality heard via that mode is not just psychological.

Set the line in to Compressed.

Thanks, Bruce, will that have a significant impact on audio quality?  I usually think of ‘compressed’ as a problem?

If you prefer to run the line-in audio uncompressed, then goto the Port’s line-in Settings where you can change the audio buffer size by selecting an 'AirPlay’ device as the line-In “Source Name” … you can then overtype the name to something like 'Turntable’, or any name you prefer and then see if the bigger buffer helps to resolve your issue.

It’s a common solution to this kind of thing, which tends to be a bandwidth/WiFi interference issue. I’ve never seen anyone come back and say they could hear a difference, but I expect that’s dependent on your hearing capabilities. 

Thanks, Bruce, will that have a significant impact on audio quality?  I usually think of ‘compressed’ as a problem?

Hello, I’m a new owner of a Sonos Port, connected to my Pro-ject Debut Carbon via a Pro-ject pre-amp.  Thing is, it’s dropping out regularly, but there’s no issue with the output (confirmed via headphone pre-amp).  I moved the Port closer to my WiFi router, shows 97% strength, and then I even set the router to prioritize streaming from the Port.  No dice.  Even with that, audio is dropping out.  Any ideas or thoughts?

@davidpaterson99 Now you got me curious…..

There's a switch at the back of the turntable that turns on the preamp. No mention in the instructions! As a novice, this was all a bit frustrating. The Pro-ject instructions were poor and there's no holistic instructions from Sonos, who sell the package. Got there in the end...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@davidpaterson99 Now you got me curious…..
I recently bought the Pro-ject Essential III and 2x Play 5 speakers direct from Sonos and (tried to) set everything up over the weekend. The turntable set-up was a bit fiddly, but I got there in the end. I had the same issue with sound level when I first played vinyl - it was barely audible - which is when I stumbled up on this thread. I cranked up the line-in voltage to level 10, and the sound is a little better, but still well below a level at which I would want to listen to anything. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I did wonder if I needed a pre-amp or an amp, but according to Sonos the Essential III has a pre-amp and Play 5s have an inbuilt amp. I've been stockpiling vinyl over the last couple of months and was very excited to start listening to it, but as it stands I have no motivation to use either the turntable or the Play 5s. Hoping this isn't $1300 down the drain and i'm just missing something really small and silly.....
Ignore me. I know what the issue is....
I recently bought the Pro-ject Essential III and 2x Play 5 speakers direct from Sonos and (tried to) set everything up over the weekend. The turntable set-up was a bit fiddly, but I got there in the end. I had the same issue with sound level when I first played vinyl - it was barely audible - which is when I stumbled up on this thread. I cranked up the line-in voltage to level 10, and the sound is a little better, but still well below a level at which I would want to listen to anything. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I did wonder if I needed a pre-amp or an amp, but according to Sonos the Essential III has a pre-amp and Play 5s have an inbuilt amp. I've been stockpiling vinyl over the last couple of months and was very excited to start listening to it, but as it stands I have no motivation to use either the turntable or the Play 5s. Hoping this isn't $1300 down the drain and i'm just missing something really small and silly.....
Unless you have the Recordmaster model, the Debut line lacks a phono pre-amp stage that is necessary for use with Sonos. No pre-amp will result in the distorted sound at a low level that you are experiencing. Of the current Pro-Ject lineup, the Essentials III line has an Essentials III Phono model that includes a built-in pre-amp. For any model without a built-in phono pre-amp, you can purchase an external phono pre-amp..
code:
Hello, 
My boyfriend has a Sonos One Gen2. This week he bought a Sonos Port to connect a Pro-Ject Debut III. Unfortunately this does not work as belonging, the sound is not optimal and very quiet. The Sonos One is at the height level of volume. The volume is also at the highest on the Sonos app. Can someone help me to solve the problem?