Question

Updating TV surround sound system

• 16 October 2020
  • 1 reply

I have a new Samsung 65 in OLED tv. I have linked it to my existing surround sound system with 5 speakers a sub woofer and a 7 year old pioneer amp. I’m using ARC to route the sound through the amp to my system. 

I am having problems in the following areas :-

-powering the system on without having to use 3 separate controls

-the pioneer software is dated and doesnt allow the full quality of picture.

-the sound isnt everything I’d hoped for

If I replaced the amp with a new Sonos amp would it solve my issues?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Probably not. A Sonos Amp will drive two of your own speakers. If you connect it via ARC, or an optical cable with the purchase of the adapter Sonos sells, you’ll be able to get a Dolby Digital signal to the Amp, which will create the front two channels, and create a faux center channel by combining the signal from the two front speakers. You would need to add a pair of Sonos speakers (Sonos One SLs are recommended) to create a 5.0 signal with surrounds, and a Sonos Sub to create the .1 channel. It does come on automatically when the TV is turned on, so you could use the TV’s remote to control the Amp when playing the TV input.

None of this will change the Pioneer’s software or picture quality.