Answered

Updates removed my local music library and now I get Error code 913

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

How do I fix it?  I have an iphone with the new app, my spouse has an iphone with the old gold app, our music is in an itunes folder on a windows laptop.  The music library is gone on all of them, and I get Error 913 when I try to add the music folder back to Sonos on the laptop.  Our speakers are useless without this - we don’t use streaming services, just our music library.  Do I need to get rid of the Sonos system now because local music isn’t an option anymore???

icon

Best answer by tidepooler 28 May 2024, 20:31

View original

224 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is abysmal. All I play is local music, and folder sharing is not permitted, so I guess my Sonoses are now useless and headed for eBay.  I will be leaving appropriate reviews online

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Check out the solution from HelpingIsKind and PaulRB371 for Windows users. It works, I have my library fully restored. Seems that Sonos simply forgot/chose not to write the proper file-sharing rules in their app update, which is why your library disappeared from your PC. Restoring the link is easy and straightforward. Well done guys.

Doesn’t fix the link with iPads and iPhones but at least my music is available again.

Badge

Team, any ideas on the equivalent solution for a mac? After getting the 913 error message, I attempted a similar solution based on @PaulRB371 and @HelpingIsKind’s success. But I’m missing something...

1. I opened the folder (right click > get info)
  2. I see Sonos DMS as some sharing permission in two places. I change both from ‘custom’ to ‘read and write’
  3. I attempt to connect. It fails, and the error message now is about username and password.
  4. Curiously, also see that privilege reverted to ‘custom’ for ‘SonosDMS’
Step 1: Change ‘privilege’ setting on mac from ‘custom’ to ‘read & write’ for SonosDMS

Step 3. New error message - no longer 913 but tied to username and/or password

SonosDMS permissions revert to ‘Custom’ after it fails.

thanks for any help! I’ll continue to troubleshoot.

Just got this to work by adding the local music directories as NAS instead (find the exact name of your computer under ‘Systems and Preferences’ then ‘Shared,’ then instead of adding it as a local directory, add it as NAS and enter the path as \\Name\Shared\Foldername, leaving username and password fields empty.

Then und under ‘Users and Groups’ selecting ‘Guest User’ and check ‘Allow guest users to connect to shared folder.’

This whole issue is super annoying and a waste of time isn’t it….

Userlevel 3

Thousands of dollars invested in speakers to play MY music but the new app won't let me add MY music to play. WTF sonos???

on macOS i simply succeeded by adding as network device (Nas), entered the path of my  music folder, and then entered my user credentials from my iMac when asked. 

(When i go back then and try to add music library again, the option music folder isn’t there anymore, so eventually it did what i wanted)

Userlevel 2

dear etapsi, it would be great if you could put together a complete STEP BY STEP instruction on how to get this to work on an iMac.  Thanks from the entire Mac ecosystem!

Thank you to @PaulRB371 and @HelpingIsKind that solution was quick and easy.  I did have to reboot my computer to get the music to play.

Seems like once a year I spend several hours figuring out why my music library is lost or won’t play.  Very frustrating.

I doubt we will ever see anything like a public acknowledgement or apology for wasting hours of people's time.  I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for the technical support team.  Not the team that coded the upgrade.

Full Charley Crockett catalog now on shuffle.

Userlevel 2

Same problem.  Updated Sonos Software as a good Sonos user should.  Music Library was lost.  I tried countless times to Re-add the Music Library.  It fails every time with error code 913 despite my every effort.  As I’ve read here about folder sharing helping, I even tried applying full sharing to every folder in my music library path, however the error message persists.

Our Sonos amp is connected to a splitter box which then powers four pair of quality speakers wired throughout our home, inside and out.

We’re very disappointed.  Sonos is quite nice when it works, however it is very flakey in operation.  We’ve often-enough found its dependability/reliability to be quite poor.  Though it worked OK before the update, I’ve tried for two days now and still cannot get Sonos to work; my wife is disappointed also, especially since she’d like to have music for a large annual women’s party at our house she’s planning tonight.  

Now we cannot select nor play music from our large music collection acquired over 45 years.  We gave our vintage Tecnics turntable and 33 rpm albums to our nephew, as he loves nostalgia.  Our CD player previously was reliable, the CDs were very-good though not perfect, and all are long-ago disconnected and stored away since we installed Sonos.  

I just wish Sonos was more far more reliable, and to a lesser extent, also offered better response time when using it.

Userlevel 2

Having same issues on my Mac pro.  Keep getting 913 error.  Not waiting 70 minutes for them.

Kind of same problem. No contact to the Synology NAS after the app-update and Windows Controller update.

Sonos used to have better quality in the updates, but this one is a clear miss.

Userlevel 2

Team, any ideas on the equivalent solution for a mac? After getting the 913 error message, I attempted a similar solution based on @PaulRB371 and @HelpingIsKind’s success. But I’m missing something...

2. I see Sonos DMS as some sharing permission in two places. I change both from ‘custom’ to ‘read and write’
  3. I attempt to connect. It fails, and the error message now is about username and password.
Step 1: Change ‘privilege’ setting on mac from ‘custom’ to ‘read & write’ for SonosDMS

Just got this to work by adding the local music directories as NAS instead (find the exact name of your computer under ‘Systems and Preferences’ then ‘Shared,’ then instead of adding it as a local directory, add it as NAS and enter the path as \\Name\Shared\Foldername, leaving username and password fields empty.

Then und under ‘Users and Groups’ selecting ‘Guest User’ and check ‘Allow guest users to connect to shared folder.’

Im in the same boat as yourself. it seems that windows owners are able to get the music library, I keep getting error 913 no matter what I try. 

one thing I noticed from your screenshot was the SonoDMS I don't see this when I right click on my music folder. Is it something I should see ?

My music folder is on a hard drive attached to my apple time machine via usb , it worked fine in the past but like you its all gone T.   Up 

Userlevel 2

I’m having the same problem.

The Music Library has disappeared from Sonos on my Surface Pro 8 using Windows 11.

I cannot add iTunes Music.

I get “Unable to add the shared folder …. to your Music Library (913).

I’ve disconnected and reconnected everything to no avail.

Userlevel 2

First, after waiting an hour on hold, I have an answer to the error code 913 problem!  A seemingly-helpful rep told me this is a known bug (*Giant Cockroach*, my opinion) in the latest Sonos update.  A fix is scheduled for May 21 or hopefully, sooner.  Let’s hope that occurs.  

Now it’s time for my two cents worth.  I am a retired Staff Software Engineer who worked over 20 years for three computer companies in both Software Development and Software Support (debugging and creating fixes on the change team).  Most of my career was working for one of the world’s most highly-respected computer firms (which is over 100 years old) -- which builds and markets both hardware and software.  What is stated here is my own opinion and none other.  How in the world any software update can get through component, system and Beta test with such a serious problem, then put into production is beyond me.  Perhaps there is little to no testing at Sonos(?), I do not know and again, *this is exclusively my own opinion*.  For our home user purposes, accessing and playing the hundreds of music pieces we own among dozens of playlists is the very purpose we use Sonos.  Now, Sonos is (hopefully-) temporarily useless for this purpose at the very time we need it -- when a large party is due to begin at our home in two hours.  Oh well.

Well I say it’s about time. About time to drug test their entire workforce!

Trying to figure out how to go back to an earlier version. Why would you think this would be okay to release?

Horrible decision.

This is just one of dozens of bugs. They actually released it knowing the alarms were corrupted. The brought the alarms back and apparently there is another (or same?) bug that means they go off at the wrong time. If they beta tested there’s no way they listen to the feedback 

Userlevel 1

Im in the same boat as yourself. it seems that windows owners are able to get the music library, I keep getting error 913 no matter what I try. 

one thing I noticed from your screenshot was the SonoDMS I don't see this when I right click on my music folder. Is it something I should see ?

My music folder is on a hard drive attached to my apple time machine via usb , it worked fine in the past but like you its all gone T.   Up 

Hi, as many of you, I’m in a very similar boat… adding to mix that all my music is stored in an Apple Time Capsule “NAS Drive”. Since the newest SONOS software update my Music Library disappeared and I have not been able to get it up and running again. I get the same error message as many of you “Sonos was unable to add the music folder | Access to the shared folder is denied - check the username and/or password”. I’m completely certain that my credentials are correct, but for some reason SONOS wont connect to my music folder.

Is anyone here experiencing the same problem? Anybody with a solution?

SONOS, you guys are an audio company, LISTEN TO US!!! And please solve this issues soon!… as you can see, there are plenty of users who would rather listen to their own stored music than to streaming services… It looks like you guys are trying to steer us towards streaming… if that is the case, and if a day comes when I can’t liste to my own personal music collection, that day will be SONOS bye bye for me! (what a shame that would be!)

Userlevel 2

If Sonos telephone technicians are able to fix this for people willing to sit on hold for ages, WHY ON EARTH hasn’t someone at Sonos posted how to do it, in this thread or, better yet, on their homepage? They are failing Crisis Management 101.

Userlevel 2

This is from an email Sonos help tech sent after I declined to let him remote into my Mac book.

Here are the instructions to manually add the share file. 

Step 1 - Set up the share

1. If the permissions for everyone are set to No access, this will need to be changed to Read only at a minimum.
  1. To enable this, the customer may be prompted to enter their Mac password
  2. AFP does not need to be checked for the share to work on Sonos. If AFP is already checked, leave it as is.
  1. Navigate to the top-left of the desktop and click
    icons8-apple-logo-26.png
    ? > System Preferences...
  2. Select Sharing.
  3. Check the box for File Sharing.
  4. Click the "+" symbol to add a share and choose the Music folder (or folder where the customer's has music is stored). The name of the folder here will be the ShareName
  5. Confirm that the user list includes everyone.
  6. Ensure the customer's account is set to Read & Write.
  7. Click the Options button.
  8. Ensure that both SMB and the customer's account below are checked

Step 2 - Add the share to Sonos

1. Type the network path name when prompted. The format will be \\MacName\ShareName
  2. Enter the customer’s Mac username and ask them to enter their password before pressing Next.
  1. Using the Sonos app on Mac, select Manage > Music Library Settings > Add
  2. Select Networked device (ex. NAS drive)

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to give us a call back. We are always happy to assist you.

Regards,

Herol R.
Sonos | Customer Experience | Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

Userlevel 2

But it didn’t work for me

I did the Live Chat with an agent that was not able to assist me with the 913 error. Then I waited on hold for 65 min. The person who answered the phone appeared to be from a foreign country I’m not certain because we almost immediately got disconnected. I sent a letter to the CEO and got no response. The result was that I went through all these posts and found the answer to the error and tried it. Thankfully, it worked.

I work for a large ISP and we have a customer service department where we answer the phones in under 1 minute on average. Regarding Sonos, I already own the system so I only care about Customer Service and Software Updates. In the past when I could get a US Representative on the phone, they were excellent. The Reps overseas are a disappointment. Regarding the software updates, they are not optional, they are the most forced updates I have with any equipment I own. If it was up to me and the system was working, I would rarely update the software if at all. Why bother it only creates issues.

I happen to be a stockholder of Sonos. I love the product when it works correctly but being honest even though I’ve invested in the company for years, I would not be able to recommend the products to a good friend. I would feel responsible for their experience and I’m not confident the company is moving forward. People don’t want to have to go into a web bulletin board to figure out how to get their $10,000+ music system to function properly. I collect vinyl and I removed the record player from the Sonos and got a stand-alone amp, just to be sure I wasn’t ever out of luck. Sonos needs to get it’s business together and offer a level of support that is consistent with the product they are selling. A sonos customer is a high-end buyer and they expect and deserve better.  

This is from an email Sonos help tech sent after I declined to let him remote into my Mac book.

Here are the instructions to manually add the share file. 

Step 1 - Set up the share

1. If the permissions for everyone are set to No access, this will need to be changed to Read only at a minimum.
  1. To enable this, the customer may be prompted to enter their Mac password
  2. AFP does not need to be checked for the share to work on Sonos. If AFP is already checked, leave it as is.
  1. Navigate to the top-left of the desktop and click
    icons8-apple-logo-26.png
    ? > System Preferences...
  2. Select Sharing.
  3. Check the box for File Sharing.
  4. Click the "+" symbol to add a share and choose the Music folder (or folder where the customer's has music is stored). The name of the folder here will be the ShareName
  5. Confirm that the user list includes everyone.
  6. Ensure the customer's account is set to Read & Write.
  7. Click the Options button.
  8. Ensure that both SMB and the customer's account below are checked

Step 2 - Add the share to Sonos

1. Type the network path name when prompted. The format will be \\MacName\ShareName
  2. Enter the customer’s Mac username and ask them to enter their password before pressing Next.
  1. Using the Sonos app on Mac, select Manage > Music Library Settings > Add
  2. Select Networked device (ex. NAS drive)

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to give us a call back. We are always happy to assist you.

Regards,

Herol R.
Sonos | Customer Experience | Contact Us
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

This did work for me - but what an absolute shambles!

Userlevel 1

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Thank you so much!!!!!

Userlevel 1

Totally unable to access my own music library on my iMac. I have no interest in external services. Just want to access my hundreds of albums. What is Sonos thinking?

Tried the method of adjusting the sharing settings, and IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME!

Userlevel 3

Didn’t work for me, but the fact I have to even try a technical work around just to listen to my music shows what a joke sonos has become. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve tried what @clender and @etapsi have suggested, but no luck.  If I leave username and password blank, I get a password error. When I put my username & password for the machine where the music library is, I get a 1002 error. Guest sharing is allowed, and I’ve given read&write permission to all users.

Arrggh.

Curious if there are any class action attorneys in this community?