Question

Sonos Play 1 disconnecting from wifi when I add as surround to Beam

After changing around my living room and plugging back in my play:1’s they disconnected from my wifi. Since then I have not been able to get them to add back in as surrounds.  

I have hard reset all three items. I have recycled my router multiple times. I have removed them from the device list from my router. I have tested adding just one speaker to sonos and able to stream music to it. When I add the second one it asks me to make it surround so I select yes and it looks like it adds them. When I leave the sonos app and comes back in it shows me connectivity problems   and both play are not connected and then I go to the app for the router and  the speakers are no longer connected to the router.  All sonos items are connected via wifi. I can see both the playbase and the beam in my router app, but none of my 4 sonos play or my sub. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @paustin819, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Factory Resetting your speakers, which I assume is what you mean by hard reset, isn’t a step we recommend unless suggested by support staff or in an app process as it wont resolve any underlying issues such as network problems. For now, I would advise against further resets.

As you’re able to add the speakers to your system but they vanish after some time, it sounds like a network issue is the route cause. What is the make and model of your network router and do you have any additional networking equipment? If you have extra equipment, make sure your network meets our system requirements and isn’t listed in the unsupported section of the support article.

In the Sonos app, if a speaker is part of your system but missing, it should show in your System tab with a spanner icon and a red dot saying ‘not connected’. You can tap on the spanner icon to be taken through a process to bring the speaker back into the system.

You should also check the LED light on your Play:1s and Sonos Sub, as they should be a solid white to show they are powered and connected as stated in our LED Light support page. If the LED shows anything other than that, please follow the suggest steps in the support page for that LED colour.

You can also reach out to our support team for live troubleshooting as they have the necessary tools available to guide you through resolving this issue and getting your system all working together again.

I hope this helps!

I had attempted that spanner icon to reconnect the speakers and after multiple times of recycling the speakers and then the router per the instructions in the app and it getting to the point of telling me to “try again later” that is when I decided to reset the speakers and add them as new. 

The router is a SAX1v1s from spectrum 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @paustin819

Thanks for the information. I’ve had a look into our systems and there is currently a known issue with some Spectrum routers when Sonos is fully wireless. Our team is currently investigating this issue however there is no ETA on when this issue will be resolved.

If you were to wire one of your Sonos devices to your router and Switch Sonos to a Wired Setup, this should resolve the issue. The only other workaround besides wiring one of your speakers would be to use a different router that isn’t one of the following models:

• Sagemcom SAX1V1S, SAX2V1S and SAX2V1R
  • Arris RAC2V1A
  • Sagemcom F@st 5260
  • Askey RAC2V1K

If you’re still having issues after wiring a speaker or using a different router, then I would suggest reaching out to our support team for further troubleshooting.