Question

Sonos new app missing most features that were available in prior app version

Userlevel 4

You released a buggy new app version, removing crucial features and rendering it useless, even breaking my Sonos System. Despite promises of better ultimate listening experience, you're only planning to reintroduce these features later as if they're new and per your support staff this was actually planned to remove features and provide them back with later updates. This decision is inexcusable. Let me know when my Sonos system will work again because your new app is useless.  How did you decide what features are important enough to bring back in the updates in your new Sonos app.  Just curious which ones you think are important to your customers.  I mean we pay for the products so maybe we should have had a voice. 

14 replies

Userlevel 3

Did anyone at Sonos actually test this app before release? Surely they found all the bugs and missing functionality previously enjoyed, and someone signed this all off! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Please have a look at the thread over here… So much broken in the new app. Utterly terrible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Teething problems? 🤔🤣😁

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Did anyone at Sonos actually test this app before release?

My bet is they tried it on “their” systems and everything was groovy. Without, you know, testing it in the wild.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Not being able to search music library is an abomination.  Not having alphabetical indexing on music library is an abomination.  New app is crap.

Userlevel 1

Where can I find previuos version? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Not being able to search music library is an abomination.  Not having alphabetical indexing on music library is an abomination.  New app is crap.

OMFG I just discovered this. My hatred of this system is well documented, but I thought I had set a baseline of frustration. And now the bottom fell out.

Userlevel 3

Where can I find previuos version? 

This was posted on another thread in this community and works! Previous version. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/my-widget-disappeared-on-my-pixel-6-pro-w-android-14-6892166?tid=6892166&postid=16719207&utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=systememail&utm_campaign=en-new-reply#post16719207

Userlevel 3

You released a buggy new app version, removing crucial features and rendering it useless, even breaking my Sonos System. Despite promises of better ultimate listening experience, you're only planning to reintroduce these features later as if they're new and per your support staff this was actually planned to remove features and provide them back with later updates. This decision is inexcusable. Let me know when my Sonos system will work again because your new app is useless.  How did you decide what features are important enough to bring back in the updates in your new Sonos app.  Just curious which ones you think are important to your customers.  I mean we pay for the products so maybe we should have had a voice. 

The new app is terrible. Nothing works. I’ve owned Sonos products since 2007 and the quality has declined significantly. But this new app is the worst consumer product I’ve ever used. Nothing works. I can’t manage any of my rooms, have lost parts of the system, can’t change the volume or change tracks…and I’ve only used it for an hour. This should be listed as an UnApp. Horrible. Sonos should be ashamed. And I will tell everyone I know to never buy a Sonos product. Complete disaster.

Came here to ask about the same thing. First thing I noticed is that you can't edit the playlist order. The older app you could hit Edit, then manually change the order of the songs. BIG DEAL for my son getting ready this morning lol. 

Edited to add:

I think we can all relax here. It's their first iteration of the new app. No need to write them off forever. Cheese and crackers. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Did anyone at Sonos actually test this app before release?

My bet is they tried it on “their” systems and everything was groovy. Without, you know, testing it in the wild.

My bet is they tested it, founds lots of things that didn’t work and disabled them in the final release… or just hadn’t got around to adding the functionality yet. And they clearly had a specific go live date in mind regardless of completeness. They are the only reasons I can think for something as basic as editing and adding alarms for example to be missing. 

Lack of decent navigation and search for local libraries I’m more worried about as it’s not being stated that is actually going to added down the line. 

Userlevel 4

The missing features was actually the plan. Per the Sonos support

“ (5/7/2024, 1:18:12 PM): I'm not joking around it. All the information that was given to me about the new app, and these missing features is that they will be missing on the release that is happening now, but they should be added in a future update. ””

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

What has been said about “missing features” and futures may well be true.   The fact remains that I did not spend a significant amount to get sound equipment to sit around looking pretty.  The apps for various platforms are crucial to the utility of the Sonos gear for the primary purpose.  To release a major update with gaping holes is not acceptable.  I also note that an update for the MacOS version appeared this week.  When I installed it, I found that it wiped out my music library config.  I realize that there was some security concern about some previously acceptable music library locations.  However, my music library has resided on a NAS ever since I first defined it to Sonos.  To have to go through figuring out the path and the credential set for Sonos was not terribly difficult, but that it was necessary was a major irritant.

This ‘New App’ is awful!!! Time to move to another music system - any ideas???