Question

Sonos Boost and new App

Just upgraded to the new App and it seems they have not allowed the Sonos Boost to connect to it.  Spoken to Support and after an hour it seems that the developers have yet to allow the Boost to connect so they will need to update it.  I can connect via WiFi but if you have a Boost in your system it does not recognise.  Unless anyone knows a work round or support tells you they have fixed it.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for bringing this up. I have my Sonos One speakers set up using the boost, and then 2 Roam speakers on WiFi. On the new app, my Sonos boost is no longer listed as part of my system. However, my router still shows the boost as an attached device, and the boost and the Sonos Ones are listed as being on the Ethernet, with the Roams shown as being on WiFi. So far, at least, all the speakers play normally.

I just experimented and turned off the boost. On the router page, the Sonos Ones now show they are connected via WiFi and they still play. 

Userlevel 1

similar issue. When I try to connect Boost, the whole system disappears from the app and doesn’t work anything. If I disconnect Boost, my system plays, but with a lot of latency.

very strange because Boost is listed as compliant with the new app

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have a Boost and although it does not show up under my system anymore, it is connected to my router and my speakers that use it, still show as connected to ethernet. So seems to be ok still even though it does not show up for some reason?

Plus if I load that old page (Sonos support info), that shows those colours etc, it shows there with it’s speakers connected to it.

Badge

Same here. I can see it under "about my system" and it obtained an ip address but says unavailable.

Not showing up on "system setting" page.

I've re-added it but same result. Definitely working before the new app update.

Just upgraded to the new App and it seems they have not allowed the Sonos Boost to connect to it.  Spoken to Support and after an hour it seems that the developers have yet to allow the Boost to connect so they will need to update it.  I can connect via WiFi but if you have a Boost in your system it does not recognise.  Unless anyone knows a work round or support tells you they have fixed it.

Maybe it's my problem. After the upgrade I lost completely access to all speakers. Was connected using boost. When I try to reconfigure using boost I can't recreate my system. I did factory reset, boost is recognized, added but after... I see nothing in parameters boost is activated, then impossible to connect a speaker using wireless connection 

I do not understand we can put in production an application still on development 

Badge

I have a similar issue. New Sonos app cannot see my system at all when I have the boost on. The old S2 app on my iPhone sees everything just fine. The new Web app does see my system speakers but not the boost.

if I turn off the boost, the new app can see my system. 
sonos support say it’s a known issue and they are working on it.

I’m not going to be updating my iPhone to the new app until the iPad new app is working properly.

also going to hang off buying any new sonos gear until this issue is all sorted out.

sonos need to provide a way to downgrade to the old S2 app on the Apple Store.

really bad software release from sonos..

not a happy customer….

I recently updated to the new app. The app recognizes the boost, but says it needs to be updated. Several attempts of unplugging it and re-powering it on still will  not allow The boost to update.

Badge

I found out that having all speakers powered on seamed to do the trick. Everything connects via sonos net and the new app sees all speakers and even lists the boost in the system info. 
Unplug the sonos one and the app loses connection. Remaining speakers still work. Just app cannot see them.

Been reading up and to my surprise, sonos net and the boost are not supported on the new era 100 and 300. 
I bet this is Sono’s way to move you off the boost. They sort of support it but not really…
I unplugged the sonos boost and everything appeared as before on the old app and on the new app, difference was that the playbar and sonos one connected as WMSTATION NOT sonos net.

I guess it’s time to retire the boost. 
No upgrade credit available on the boost… b***er!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

similar issue. When I try to connect Boost, the whole system disappears from the app and doesn’t work anything. If I disconnect Boost, my system plays, but with a lot of latency.

very strange because Boost is listed as compliant with the new app

Same here. The updated app simply does not work with the Boost. 

I have a similar issue. New Sonos app cannot see my system at all when I have the boost on. The old S2 app on my iPhone sees everything just fine. The new Web app does see my system speakers but not the boost.

if I turn off the boost, the new app can see my system. 
sonos support say it’s a known issue and they are working on it.

I’m not going to be updating my iPhone to the new app until the iPad new app is working properly.

also going to hang off buying any new sonos gear until this issue is all sorted out.

sonos need to provide a way to downgrade to the old S2 app on the Apple Store.

really bad software release from sonos..

not a happy customer….

Same here. They need to get this problem fixed ASAP!!!

I’ll reach out to Sonos support this week.

I spent a lot of money for the boost.

I’d rather go back to the old app if that’s possible

We should have been warned and advised that we would lose the boost if we upgraded to the new app.

I would have opted to stay with the previous app

that was poor communication on Sonos

I was told. The app does not support boost. I'm glad I unplugged it to at least use my system now but this is rediculous.  Is someone going to tell me when I can use my boost again?

After waiting an hour on the phone for support, It was suggested that I unplug (throw away) my Boost and connect a speaker to my home’s router. I explained to the rep that this is not a vialble solution since my (3) Play 1 speakers are used outside and the home router is on another floor inside the house. I ran the diagnostics but this did not help. I was told that there is no ETA on a remedy for this issue. And we cant revert back to the previous version of the app.  So, SONOS essentially forced us into a newer version of their app that does not  support the boost. That’s costly and wrong. Im done with SONOS

I did the same thing that's why I posted. 

It’s unfortunate that Sonos put out such a crappy update on their new app. I recently joined the Sonos Facebook page for insights and many people are complaining on there with similar issues.