Answered

Play:1 and Beam (Gen 2) Compatibility

• 5 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi, can anyone clarify whether my old Sonos Play:1s are compatible with the latest Beam (Gen 2), to create effective TV surround sound? TV is an LG 43UP81006LA. What would be the limitations of such a set up? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 December 2021, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi, can anyone clarify whether my old Sonos Play:1s are compatible with the latest Beam (Gen 2), to create effective TV surround sound? 

Yes. I have such a setup.

Thanks Ratty.

Do you (or anyone) know if there are any limitations on the features offered by the Beam (Gen 2), that the Play:1s can't handle, owing to the age of the technology.

For example, I was wondering about eARC, but I'm not sure if that is just the connection between TV and the Beam (Gen 2) itself?

Cheers.

The Play:1s are just acting as "slaves" to the Beam, and are just playing the streams that are sent to them. You don't lose any functionality.

(I use Play:1s as surrounds to an Arc.)

Okay, thanks for the reply John much appreciated 👍

Hi. 
will play ones as rears enhance Atmos content or is all that driven by the beam itself? 
is it worth adding rears? 

🙏 thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi. 
will play ones as rears enhance Atmos content or is all that driven by the beam itself? 
is it worth adding rears? 

🙏 thanks. 

I have rears (Ikea Symfonisk) added to my Playbase and they made a big difference.  I would assume they’d do the same for the Beam.