Answered

Play:1 and Beam (Gen 2) Compatibility

• 5 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi, can anyone clarify whether my old Sonos Play:1s are compatible with the latest Beam (Gen 2), to create effective TV surround sound? TV is an LG 43UP81006LA. What would be the limitations of such a set up? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 December 2021, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi. 
will play ones as rears enhance Atmos content or is all that driven by the beam itself? 
is it worth adding rears? 

🙏 thanks. 

I have rears (Ikea Symfonisk) added to my Playbase and they made a big difference.  I would assume they’d do the same for the Beam.

Hi. 
will play ones as rears enhance Atmos content or is all that driven by the beam itself? 
is it worth adding rears? 

🙏 thanks. 

Okay, thanks for the reply John much appreciated 👍

The Play:1s are just acting as "slaves" to the Beam, and are just playing the streams that are sent to them. You don't lose any functionality.

(I use Play:1s as surrounds to an Arc.)

Thanks Ratty.

Do you (or anyone) know if there are any limitations on the features offered by the Beam (Gen 2), that the Play:1s can't handle, owing to the age of the technology.

For example, I was wondering about eARC, but I'm not sure if that is just the connection between TV and the Beam (Gen 2) itself?

Cheers.

Hi, can anyone clarify whether my old Sonos Play:1s are compatible with the latest Beam (Gen 2), to create effective TV surround sound? 

Yes. I have such a setup.